Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-16-2023, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome to hell (heaven) op!!
Old 01-16-2023, 08:13 PM
Large Rat

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I have actually been making pretty good progress. Hopefully I'll see you all around!
Old 01-16-2023, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

Get yourself a polar bear hat yet? You're gonna like the way you look.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-16-2023, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

I like everfrost because the gobbos aren't terrible newbie trash loot and the pelts.

I remember a quest for the wooly spiders that was supposed to be half decent aswell.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:39 PM
Kobold

When I start a level 1 barbarian I expect to die at least once or twice right away until I get some offensive and defensive skill ups. Once I do I'm good even with no armor and the newbie weapon. Expect some trouble getting through Blackburrow to reach Qeynos Hills. There are two pairs of low level gnolls at the tunnel to Blackburrow which are perfect for a level 4 to experience on and maybe level 3 but you might get unlucky. I usually wait until level 5 before trying to cross Blackburrow on my own. Any lower and you need to be lucky that someone is killing the top floor mobs in Blackburrow.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:55 PM
Kobold

Level 1 barbarian on day 1 of Green was one of my favourite EQ moments. We all were dying left and right and the extreme darkness at night was new to many of us which added to the ambience. I tried to make a way too early run through BB and I died just before getting there which meant I now didn't have a weapon or light source and I died several more time while trying to acquire a second weapon. I had a blast.

I was planning on playing non barbs when the next server opens but I might try a barbarian again just for the pandemonium of day 1 on a server.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:48 AM
Banned

Leveling a Barbarian in their area takes some patience.

At level 1, there aren't a lot of nearby mobs that con white. They nearly all con yellow.

If you die (and you will), you have to swim the Halas moat with 1 Swimming skill or wait for the slow floating dock.

Once you find level-appropriate mobs, they're near higher level KOS mobs or they largely social aggro.

The winding pathways are confusing navigate and they're narrow, so it's hard to avoid other mobs.

Vengeful Soloist, a level 12 skeleton, eats newbies for lunch all day.

But once you get to around 4 or 5, the goblin camps can be smooth sailing until you're ready to kill the gnolls at the Blackburrow entrance.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

You guys are getting me so excited to roll a new barbarian. The area really is immersive (especially when you fall of Gwenavyne) and doesn't feel like a artificial world constructed for player convenience.

Many glorious deaths in battle!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-17-2023, 01:07 PM
Planar Protector

Has op drowned under ice after not being able to find the hole again?
Old 01-17-2023, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level 1 barbarian on day 1 of Green was one of my favourite EQ moments. We all were dying left and right and the extreme darkness at night was new to many of us which added to the ambience. I tried to make a way too early run through BB and I died just before getting there which meant I now didn't have a weapon or light source and I died several more time while trying to acquire a second weapon. I had a blast.

I was planning on playing non barbs when the next server opens but I might try a barbarian again just for the pandemonium of day 1 on a server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are getting me so excited to roll a new barbarian. The area really is immersive (especially when you fall of Gwenavyne) and doesn't feel like a artificial world constructed for player convenience.

Many glorious deaths in battle!
You can always play a barbarian to like ten or twenty for a bit. Use them to farm LS then kit out an actual main.

Innothule. S ro. Rather mats. Lake rathe. Are all amazing too. Personally fearrott is too confusing.