Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Newbie here. Getting my arse handed to me.

Hey guys. Just deciding to finally post here after coming back from YEARS ago. Finally decided to make a character on Blue. Unfortunately Classic's difficulty to newbies has gone ham on beating me into the floor time and time again. I've died....20ish times so far and just RECENTLY made it to level 5. I barely know anything about this game, and only so far gotten to level 5 because of the know how and generosity of a few people I've run into.

To sum it all up, got some tips and tricks for a lowbie monk that's dying too often?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:15 AM
Kobold

What's your in game name and where are you leveling (or trying to at least hehe)? If I catch you online when I'm on I'll try to help you out a bit.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Kobold

Are you a EQ virgin, or just first time playing classic EQ?

I would say read the wiki, and then do the newbie quests for getting plat and exp. Are you wearing armor? get some armor, you can also make armor by working on tailoring. Make sure to put points into your mele skills. Nothing much else to say, just have to find what you need to do to get from A to B.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Kobold

Consider (/con or "c") mobs before you engage them. Someone as low as you shouldn't be dying that much unless you're attacking things that are even or higher (white, yellow, red). Also: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

Read this: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

Some tips on how not to die as a monk (most of these aren't just for monks BTW):

1) Con everything. This means right click on it or target it and press 'c'. If it's green, it won't give you worthwhile EXP. If it's white (even con), yellow, or red, it's too hard to fight solo. If it's blue, generally speaking it's doable and worthwhile (but as a rule, avoid casters, especially if you're soloing).

2) Pull monsters you're fighting to safe spots. You don't want to deal with adds (additional monsters attacking you) while you're fighting something; you want to fight monsters one at a time. Get a monster's attention, then run somewhere that there aren't a lot of monsters.

3) If you've bitten off more than you can chew, you can outrun a monster using strafe-run. You can do this by holding CTRL, up arrow, and left or right arrow. You'll move a little faster and the monster won't be able to hit you, allowing you to get to a guard or a zone line. This only works if you're not below 20% HP or so; if you get below 20% HP, your run speed goes down (as well as your armor class).

4) Be careful with Mend. At low levels, it will fail a lot. Sometimes when it fails, it will hurt you. The last thing you want to do is kill yourself with a skill that's supposed to help you. To be safe, I would reserve Mend for times when you are not actively fighting a mob and can afford to take an HP hit if it fails. Use it as much as possible, though, because once you skill it up to 100 or so, it's invaluable.

5) Keep track of where you die. Hitting /loc when you know you're about to die will give you your coordinates so you can track down your corpse.

6) Bandages can be expensive during your early levels, but once you can afford them, buy some and use Bind Wound to get your HP from below 50% up to 50% after a fight. At high levels with enough Bind Wound skill, you'll be able to used it to go up to 70%.

7) Farm up some platinum and buy yourself a weapon(s). Pretty much any cheap weapon you find in EC is going to be leaps and bounds better than anything you can find on your own at low levels. You should aim to farm up somewhere between 50 and 200 PP for starter weapons. The newbie guide has tips on how to do this. It's not strictly necessary but it will make your life a lot easier, especially if you're soloing.

8) Group whenever possible, so your groupmates can help you not die [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

9) Pay attention to your weight. If you're carrying more than 14 units worth of items, then your AC is going to take a hit (this only happens with monks). The hit is bigger the more you go over that cap. This difference in AC is more important at mid to higher levels than at lower levels, but basically the way to keep your weight down is to destroy low-value coin you loot (silver and copper) and avoid looting heavy items like weapons and armor unless you really need to.

Basically, with the above tips, you should never die in a solo setting. Also, once you hit level 19 (I think it's 19, anyway) you get Feign Death, which is a class-defining ability and lets you die even less, as well as do a bunch of other neat stuff.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks guys. If ya wanna hang out in-game I'm a level 5 human monk, named Teriburr. Unfortunately, as of getting on just a few minutes ago: I found a group, but got no xp. Which sucks. :/
Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

1. kill skeles until you have a full set of cloth armor.

2. next step is to find a couple of weapons with very low delay.

3. try to only kill dark blue cons, as the white-yellow cons will probably kill you very quickly.

4. once you can kill bears, hunt them exclusively until you get a stash of high quality bear skins(the other skins/pelts are worthless except to vendor) that you can then turn around and sell very quickly to players for 30pp each.

5. your next step is up to you, you can either:
a. use your bear pelt fund to buy a very good monk weapon (do a /w all monk to find someone to ask on opinions here) for cheap.

or

b. use your bear pelt fund to buy something at a good price, which you can then turn around and sell for more money. in EC you can hunt more bears in the meantime to supplement this fund.

make sure to watch your weight! if you become too encumbered, your armor will drop substantially.. and monks dont have a huge amount of this to begin with. read the monk wiki page for more info.
Last edited by phacemeltar; 08-15-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Aviak

Master Wu's trance stick is a good monk wep. Will last you a long time to. Should be able to pick up two for ~300
Old 08-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Well. For now I'm pretty much stuck in Greater Feydark at Crushbone, trying to level there. But yeah. I've gotten to use a friends Master Wu's Trance Stick....Friggen love that thing. Dual Wielding them would be monstrous.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Fire Giant

Always have an escape plan. One of the things that made classic EQ so special (and frustrating) was the huge penalty for death. Pick your fights carefully. Better to run to a guard or zone than die. Don't wait until you're too low to run, if you see the fight going sour bolt (and strafe run) quick.
Closed Thread