Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Decided to try out a Cleric. Deciding to try them out while I relax from dying, often, on my monk. On now as Teriveni.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytemane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Decided to try out a Cleric. Deciding to try them out while I relax from dying, often, on my monk. On now as Teriveni.
Well.. a little more gear dependent. Not too bad though if you are only going to heal early on, but you will still need something for heal aggro when the pug has no clue...and they never do. If you run the mail delivery quest (felwithe to kelethin), you'll make ~50pp from lvl1-5. Then find someone selling bronze plate for 1pp an AC. Also keep something for your most important spells. Once in CB you can collect CB belts and sell them to players for 3pp ea, fill in the rest of the plate and your less needed spells. Later, move to Unrest and clean up, good start for a lvl14 cleric, some good gear drops as you progress.

ps. just don't say you rolled a high elf cleric :P
If you rolled a dwarf, there is a low-level armor quest... I think late teens. I've never done it, but it's on the wiki. I couldn't use it with my halfling cleric, which is fine as the trade-off was getting hide and sneaksis which is golden. I had the high elf on early live, it's difficult until later leveling as you can gear out their horrible shortcomings. A lot of people roll high elf due to the high wisdom, but really it just doesn't matter. When you are in groups and healing, rare to get to full mana anyway. So it's sort of a moot point having high wisdom, really.

Anyway, if you do run the mail quest there (going postal), and you see my name on /who and in gfay (I go there a lot), just send a tell mentioning you are running the mail and I'll drop you a sow on your way to the bard guild for the drop off. I usually do if I notice people running that.
Last edited by Daywolf; 08-16-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Old 08-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

I have to dispute the above advice. Clerics, even dwarven clerics, are constantly beset by weight issues. Getting a full suit of bronze is an awful choice that will lead to you being encumbered all the time. What happens if you're encumbered all the time? You take a lot more damage and die more. Also, clerics are certainly less gear-dependent than monks. You can level a cleric basically naked and you'll be fine. There are ways to manage heal aggro (e.g. waiting until the tank and CC have established aggro/CC to heal, or rooting stuff that starts wailing on you); it shouldn't be a constant issue. If you are gearing your cleric, you should focus more on WIS/mana than AC anyhow, and you can find pieces that don't weigh a lot for that.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Clerics should focus exclusively on charisma to avoid those crit resists on pacify... okay, maybe not :P
Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have to dispute the above advice. Clerics, even dwarven clerics, are constantly beset by weight issues. Getting a full suit of bronze is an awful choice that will lead to you being encumbered all the time. What happens if you're encumbered all the time? You take a lot more damage and die more. Also, clerics are certainly less gear-dependent than monks. You can level a cleric basically naked and you'll be fine. There are ways to manage heal aggro (e.g. waiting until the tank and CC have established aggro/CC to heal, or rooting stuff that starts wailing on you); it shouldn't be a constant issue. If you are gearing your cleric, you should focus more on WIS/mana than AC anyhow, and you can find pieces that don't weigh a lot for that.
Hmm? My cleric wasn't encumbered at low levels wearing plate. Not sure what you are talking about. My untwinked cleric is never encumbered... and with good str he melee's well enough to solo when I want to (yeeeah, I don't just stick wisdom items on him). Definitely works well in duo's, knocking down mobs one after another. I played a capped cleric on live six years from around launch, then on PEQ from there (old original EMU server here), and now here on p99 leveling a cleric. Maybe you are thinking loot hoarder or loot ninja? You'll have enough to carry a weight reduction bag or two and fill it with some valuables (gems are always good), but don't expect to be grabbing everything in sight, not for a while anyway. If you encumber, just keep your agility above 75. If you have a tank friend, dump some of your loot onto him until you guys break camp.
Last edited by Daywolf; 08-16-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Closed Thread