Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Aviak

I may make a trip through Misty/Rivervale later on my Ranger, Garel. I second Stembolt. Send me a tell and I can grab you the ones you're missing.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

ask someone for platinum or the spells, someone from your own class... flatter them somehow, express your helplessness, and plat will be yours. not even kidding, it works in real life too. dont feel ashamed to beg in a game!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Large Rat

Wow, thanks everyone for offering to help. I ran into someone last night(Muggwin, from "nights who say ni") and he helped my gf and I. I ended up looting around 10 shields off of the guards being killed. Needless to say, I got the money I needed. I'll be doing that more tonight so I can save up. Right now I think I'm going to practice on my fishing skill(25 right now) and my crafting(so I can make leather armor). I'll make sure and message you guys if I need anything. Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xetura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right now I think I'm going to practice on my fishing skill(25 right now) and my crafting(so I can make leather armor).
You might have better luck Tailoring to make Leather armor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Fire Giant

I found spells to be expensive early on. After you get into the 20s, the loot you receive vs the cost of the spells becomes more manageable.

P99 - Blue
Lafael - Druid - Level 60
Garnagle - Necro - Level 57
Seductress - Enchanter - Level 52
Sweets - Bard - Level 35
Venexia - Shaman - Level 60
Wonderelf - Warrior - Level 51
Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xetura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, thanks everyone for offering to help. I ran into someone last night(Muggwin, from "nights who say ni") and he helped my gf and I. I ended up looting around 10 shields off of the guards being killed. Needless to say, I got the money I needed. I'll be doing that more tonight so I can save up. Right now I think I'm going to practice on my fishing skill(25 right now) and my crafting(so I can make leather armor). I'll make sure and message you guys if I need anything. Thanks again!
When I was new I had the same issue with my halfling druid. Unless someone levels up as a new player in Misty, they don't know the pain. 1-5 there is very little if anything that drops coin.
Luckily you have found out really the only way to make decent coin in Misty, those shields had me leaving Misty thicket with ~200pp at lvl 9. If only I had known they had existed pre level 5. As far as a brand spanking new player you picked probably the zone that is the most money strapped to start your first character in.
It's smooth sailing from here on out
Last edited by ReoDobbs; 11-29-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

best thing to do starting out is if someones killing the halfling guards just ask nicely and politely if you could bum a shield or two or maybe one spear to sell for spells
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs down

You can skip over most of your spells. Be critical whether you'll really need it or not. Often a new spell is replaced in ~4 levels time anyway.

You've made a good start saving for a bag. That's a wise investment as it will let you make more money. When looting items go for high value, low weight, stackable things. Gems (sold to NPCs) or bone chips (sold to players) are good examples. Don't constantly run back to town to sell rat ears, snake fangs etc.

You'll make more overall if you keep hunting even when your bags are full and just chuck/destroy the low value items and replace them with more valuable vendor trash as you find it (e.g. loot a firebeetle eye, that's worth a couple of silver, but if you then find a rusty spear but have ran out of slots drop the firebeetle eye so you can keep the spear which is worth ten times as much). As a low level druid your range slot is used to hold a rusty warhammer in until you can sell it.

As a caster be frugal with the items you purchase. Generally a decent spell boost will be a bigger power boost than a new item. Don't waste money on getting a bunch of weak items if it means you won't be able to afford your new heal/nuke/whatever when the time comes.

More item advice: most of the stats are pretty useless at low level. +wis gives barely any mana, +sta gives very few hit points. Agi doesn't do much after you hit 75 points. Dex does very little too. +Str seems to be the only stat that gives a meaningful boost at low level, but as a priest class you won't be doing much melee in the future. It does let you carry more though... Basically don't worry about equipment at low level unless it gives a huge boost to hp or mana (even mana isn't that important as you are more limited by your mana regen than mana pool, unless if you can't survive a fight without using all your mana). You'll get enough AC to mitigate hits from blues from a set of leather armour, and this is true until level 20 or so (provided you keep your defence skill maxed).

Finally, at low levels a big chunk of your damage out put will be melee, even as a priest. Try to find a weapon with a decent ratio to carry you through these times. If you're lucky you might be able to buy a wraithbone warhammer / tashan staff / iksar beserker club fairly cheaply from another player. If you don't get this opportunity I think it is worth grabbing a two handed staff or hammer from the druid vendor. The sell back value of these weapons is really close to the purchase value so it's worth the temporary investment.

Finally, xp advice. Try not to fight too many red/yellow/whites, even if part of a group. These mobs tend to be harder to land spells on, wasting mana and are harder for tanks to taunt. Also these mobs will often go straight through your armour hitting you for max more often. Instead focus on blue cons, you'll generally mitigate hits pretty well against them meaning less time/mana spent on healing after fights (leaving you with more mana to dps with, speeding up xp). At lower levels light blues don't give much xp at all so focus on the dark blues if you can.

Just my own thoughts, doubtless these probably contradict those of others, but hopefully they'll help you come up with your own ways of dealing with the lower level content without being too reliant on hand outs from other players.
Closed Thread