Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Skeleton

Default Mana

Okay, so I am a level 9 almost 10 cleric and I end up running through my mana very quickly while being healer in groups. I have mediate and I don't abuse my spells by spamming them. Whats the deal or is this just normal for being a lower level Cleric? Maybe I doing something wrong? Any suggestions on helping me make/increase my mana levels?

Your fellow Cleric,
Cystenn
Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Aviak

There are only two ways to increase your mana pool. Items that have +mana on them, and by increasing your wisdom stat. Both of these increase the amount of mana you have, but not the speed at which it comes back.

I've no idea what levels the spells are, but the enchanter spells breeze and clarity will increase the rate at which mana regenerates.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are only two ways to increase your mana pool. Items that have +mana on them, and by increasing your wisdom stat. Both of these increase the amount of mana you have, but not the speed at which it comes back.

I've no idea what levels the spells are, but the enchanter spells breeze and clarity will increase the rate at which mana regenerates.
Spot on. Lower levels is a pain unless you're twinked. Just grind it out !
Old 02-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Planar Protector

For a group, at your level it depends on how many are in your group, how twinked they are, what level stuff you are pulling and how much you are overextending yourselves.

A group of 10s~ in Crushbone with several melee classes pseudo twinked, you should have no problem healing. A group of 10s~ in Unrest yard with a few casters and a tank, you will begin to have trouble healing. Early game, melee classes are a lot easier to group with since they never stop to med.

Also make sure that you went back at level 8 to Meditate. You do not innately get that skill here and if you tried to train it before 8, it lied to you and you didn't really train it. This would lead to you only regenning a single mana per tick.

More important than mana pool is mana regen. Not all that available at your level but here are the effects that would help that.

Mana Regen:

Ench - 16 - Breeze - 2 Mana Regen
Ench - 29 - Clarity - 4-8 Mana Regen
Ench - 52 - Clarity II - 11 Mana Regen
Bard - 32 - Cassindra's Chorus of Clarity - 5-7 Mana Regen
Bard - 55 - Cantata of Replenishment - 12-13 Mana Regen

[Velious]

Bard - 20 - Cassindra's Chant of Clarity - 2 Mana Regen
Dru - 60 - Protection of the Glades - 6 Mana Regen
Ench - 60 - Gift of Brilliance - 2 Mana Regen

All 3 classes regen stacks with each other. Enchanter's GoB in Velious stacks with their own Clarity line.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For a group, at your level it depends on how many are in your group, how twinked they are, what level stuff you are pulling and how much you are overextending yourselves.

A group of 10s~ in Crushbone with several melee classes pseudo twinked, you should have no problem healing. A group of 10s~ in Unrest yard with a few casters and a tank, you will begin to have trouble healing. Early game, melee classes are a lot easier to group with since they never stop to med.

Also make sure that you went back at level 8 to Meditate. You do not innately get that skill here and if you tried to train it before 8, it lied to you and you didn't really train it. This would lead to you only regenning a single mana per tick.

More important than mana pool is mana regen. Not all that available at your level but here are the effects that would help that.

Mana Regen:

Ench - 16 - Breeze - 2 Mana Regen
Ench - 29 - Clarity - 4-8 Mana Regen
Ench - 52 - Clarity II - 11 Mana Regen
Bard - 32 - Cassindra's Chorus of Clarity - 5-7 Mana Regen
Bard - 55 - Cantata of Replenishment - 12-13 Mana Regen

[Velious]

Bard - 20 - Cassindra's Chant of Clarity - 2 Mana Regen
Dru - 60 - Protection of the Glades - 6 Mana Regen
Ench - 60 - Gift of Brilliance - 2 Mana Regen

All 3 classes regen stacks with each other. Enchanter's GoB in Velious stacks with their own Clarity line.
Thread closed. Everyone gtfo

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

There are a few things you can do to make sure that you do not have to heal more than is necessary.

1) Pay attention to who is getting hit and why. Are multiple mobs being pulled at once and not being crowd controlled? Have someone (or yourself) root/mez mobs so that only one mob is doing damage to your group at a time. Is the tank not tanking (i.e. is someone else regularly pulling aggro off of him)? This is a common issue with warriors or bad paladins/SKs and the result is that you have to heal more because a squishy class is being attacked. If it's a warrior, often the best policy is just to have someone root everything; then the warrior can guarantee he is tanking by standing closer to the rooted monster than everyone else. If it's a knight, make sure they are using flash of light (if paladin) or disease cloud (if SK) regularly. If someone needs to be rooting stuff, try to get someone other than yourself to do it if you're having mana troubles, but do it yourself if you have to.

2) If (1) is being handled reasonably - i.e., the tank is the one tanking, and he's tanking one mob at a time, with extras being CCed properly - then the problem is probably that pulls are coming too often for your group, or the pulls are of high level mobs. This is also a common problem. Here is how I deal with it: I only heal someone when their HP bar is lower than my mana bar. So if someone's at 60% HP and I'm at 50% MP, I just keep medding. This means I don't let people die, but it also means that often times after a fight the tank will be at 40% HP or something, and so he will not be inclined to pull again. This is a way to say "oom" without saying it outright; people can figure out that if they're not being healed, you need more mana.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

You won't have much mana healing at your level, especially dependant upon which camp you're at because if it's a higher level camp in CB then your party will be taking more damage. Gear is a pretty dependant factor on the amount of mana that you have and will usually have. I have to agree with the whole mana regen clarity etc etc, however when you're in groups and say you've got a large mana pool because you're dressed to the 9s, then you end up getting a big pull of say 4 mobs, you heal through that, get a pull of 3 mobs twice, heal through that, then you get a 1-6 single pulls, heal through that, then when camp is broken and waiting for respawns you meditate near full time. I've found for at least myself that it's the degree in which mobs are pulled that effect my mana. You can heal through 2-3 mobs with no problem while still being able to meditate up more mana than what a 4 or 5 mob pull would drain. Meditate levels up as you level up which helps a lot. Just takes some time level up get some gear as you are able and you shouldn't have a problem. I ended up re-rolling here after a hiatus with a completely ungeared HE cleric, was able to bum some bronze get with a few wisdom pieces from my brother and it became absolutely no problem to eventually cap myself at 255 wisdom with numerous +mana items. Just takes time and some effort.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

You'll find your group is full of people doing 3x the damage they should be at that level.

Meaning more mobs to fight, more consistent pulls. The cleric class was never designed around this, nor does it scale with gear. So just do your best and try and be as efficient as possible to cope with it. If that means CC'ing mobs to prevent damage rather than healing it, then thats an option. etc.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You'll find your group is full of people doing 3x the damage they should be at that level.

Meaning more mobs to fight, more consistent pulls. The cleric class was never designed around this, nor does it scale with gear. So just do your best and try and be as efficient as possible to cope with it. If that means CC'ing mobs to prevent damage rather than healing it, then thats an option. etc.
I agree with this, with how this server is with twinks, etc. Damage is spread around the group a lot and in your younger levels, 40 or lower... It will be hard to kind of keep up. Rely on root CC'ing a lot unless you have an enchanter in the group. Just keep sitting and medding as much as possible while fights are going on.
Tander - 55th Half Elf Bard

The Mystical Order || See what I'm Selling/Buying || Nagrith's JBoots MQ Service
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.com/Kalanar%...o_Cleric_Heals

Probably the biggest thing to note: Low level, heals suck. You'll heal more & use less mana recasting Courage over and over at lvl 9/10. Then at 14 you can Healing IF you need a faster heal, but Courage (with appropriate tick-timing so you're always medding on server tick) will still be more efficient. Daring at 19 blows Healing out of the water for efficiency. At 24 when you get Greater Healing you'll finally have a heal thats worth casting. (note: You will still want to cast heals/roots/reckless mights while leveling so your alteration skill doesn't fall too far behind).

Also, don't bother healing people if they're not below 60% hp unless they're the tank or enchanter.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Closed Thread