Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-04-2023, 12:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Classes to avoid playing in the p99 meta?

I was perusing the forum and came across the following quote:

‘the secret to playing a good paladin is not playing one - and rolling a warrior instead. after you get proc'ing weapons and other classes understand how to mitigate aggro - youll be happy you forgot about Paladin which is completely pointless in this era. nobody plays paladins or rangers or wizards on P99 for a very good reason.’

I was wondering why this is the case, specifically with Wizards as it’s my favorite class
Old 05-06-2023, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

You don't have to listen to everything you read. Nothing stops stupid people from posting stupid opinions on the internet (including myself). Play whatever class you want or resonate with. If you end up not liking it, you can try something else. People successfully play paladin on P99.

Different people enjoy different things. The person who wrote that probably enjoys raiding (as much as anyone can enjoy EQ p99 raiding, anyways) while other people might think raiding is a complete waste of time and not at all worth participating in.
Last edited by TripSin; 05-06-2023 at 11:47 AM..
Old 05-06-2023, 11:55 AM
Banned

Wizards are good at what wizards do.

If the meta is raiding wizards are top dog.

If the meta is boxing, powerlevelling and farming wizards ate poor.

Ench is #1 pizza enjoying. Necri #2. Shm #3 because I need to actually invest a lot in shm to reach necro and ench lvls of pizza delivery.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

‘the secret to playing a good paladin is not playing one - and rolling a warrior instead. after you get proc'ing weapons and other classes understand how to mitigate aggro - youll be happy you forgot about Paladin which is completely pointless in this era. nobody plays paladins or rangers or wizards on P99 for a very good reason.’

I was wondering why this is the case, specifically with Wizards as it’s my favorite class
If you enjoy a wizard because you can travel the world trivially, or because you can blow up 32k hp raid targets, go for it.

If you enjoy a wizard for DPS in a group xp context, I think you will be disappointed. They're a bottom tier sustained dps class.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That person's opinion about Paladins is wrong.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Paladins are for loosers and morans. Play a SK if you want to play a knight.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

TripSin is right. “Play whatever class you want or resonate with.” And that “People successfully play paladin on P99.” Even from a raiding perspective, hardcore raiders need a 60 paladin around to buff them with Divine Strength. And a well-geared paladin can perform valuable tanking duties including planar trash, Kael trash, HOT trash, and Plane of Sky. It’s annoying to tank those with warriors due to the chancy nature of warrior aggro. A paladin pushes a couple buttons and aggro is LOCKED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The person who wrote that probably enjoys raiding
But you know what’s weird? Wizards are awesome and/or essential for raiding.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:53 PM
Aviak

Not focusing on raiding is the healthy choice. Sure, raiding can be fun. But it certainly is not necessary.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

whoever said this doesn't know anything about eq and is just parroting what they heard people on reddit say. it's all wrong, the actual worst class (SK) isnt even listed. Disregard literally everything that person says, they're clueless
Old 05-07-2023, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Wizard is great in the P99 meta, as long as you are willing to solo a lot (quadding), you don't take it personally that wizards are less in demand for most groups, and you are interested in raiding. Some of the players in <Castle> Green leveled something else up to 60, then made wizard, and they now mostly play the wizard for raids. It sure feels powerful when we batphone Gorenaire and we have 6 or 8 or 10 players on wizards and I just know we've got her.

Plus, the Wizard epic is viable if you raid some. Be smart with your DKP until you have your "must-haves."