Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

Default Experience Rate

Sorry if this is already listed somewhere, but I read the stickies and searched the PvP forums and found nothing definitive about the live experience rates.

I know the experience rate is currently 10x normal to allow for better testing, and I am guessing it will be dropped significantly for the games release.

What I would like to know is, what will the experience rate be on the release of November 18th? Will it be at least 2x, or will it be the classic rate?

While I can understand that many people feel the classic rate is fine, I really hope the rate is increased to at least 2x what classic was. My reasons for this are listed below, and come from experience playing MMORPGs since MUD days.

- Grinding 5 hours for 1 level does nothing for player skill. True skill comes at max level. 2 hours per level is plenty of a grind, especially considering it takes 4-5 levels between skill upgrades and there are still "Hell" levels.

- We have all gotten older and our RL responsibilities have increased since 1999. I am no longer a single college student whose only responsibility is to wake up at noon for a couple classes.

- This server is never going to be 1/4 as popular as the game was on release. We need to keep people playing as much as possible and we need to try and get new people to try this server out. A PvP server with a small population is not going to be much fun. In the end, a server with a 12 day played exp grind to reach level 50, will end up being 1 guild doing end game and no PvP competition.

- Sadly, we have all been exposed to games with content prior to end game. Whether it was a story line, quests, or dungeons worth grouping for. Everquest has nothing going for it from level 1-49. The gear is worthless, the quests are too rare and give worthless xp, and the storyline is non-existent. The only thing that sounds like fun is running around with friends and doing world PvP. Being forced to skip out on PvP so I can sit around killing Treants for another 20 hours to get my new spells, sounds like torture, not like a game.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

It will be the same rate that current blue99 has. We are all here on this emu because of the slow xp/no boxing etc. We enjoy the journey and the true investment in ones character.

But dont fear, for those that do want and need faster XP, almost every other game currently in existence offers that, so you have plenty of options.

p.s.

Quote:
The only thing that sounds like fun is running around with friends and doing world PvP.
Without slow leveling, there would be no world pvp.

p.p.s. the slow xp is even more important here on the pvp server than it is on blue, because of what you said. Instead of just logging in and being instant max level so you can run around attacking people at random, the server's slow xp forces you to come to grips with the rest of the community beyond seeing them as passing gibs.

Run past somefolks in Qeynos hills and you and your friends kill them for the lulz? Now you have to deal with them attacking you while you grind for a few weeks in the karanas.

Slow xp and time invested into your character = a better community
Last edited by Palemoon; 11-09-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Old 11-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Exp rate will be normal
Old 11-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palemoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It will be the same rate that current blue99 has. We are all here on this emu because of the slow xp/no boxing etc. We enjoy the journey and the true investment in ones character.

But dont fear, for those that do want and need faster XP, almost every other game currently in existence offers that, so you have plenty of options.

p.s.

Without slow leveling, there would be no world pvp.

p.p.s. the slow xp is even more important here on the pvp server than it is on blue, because of what you said. Instead of just logging in and being instant max level so you can run around attacking people at random, the server's slow xp forces you to come to grips with the rest of the community beyond seeing them as passing gibs.

Run past somefolks in Qeynos hills and you and your friends kill them for the lulz? Now you have to deal with them attacking you while you grind for a few weeks in the karanas.

Slow xp and time invested into your character = a better community
ps. World PvP takes place at level 50, it just takes place in less zones, meaning more of it.

pps. 6 days grinding xp is not instant max level. It is reasonable, especially when you consider how much goes into getting gear after reaching level 50.

Slow xp and time invested in an EMU = no community.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Sarnak

your playing this server for the wrong reasons brah
Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Slow xp and time invested in an EMU = no community.
Because p99 was the least populated emu...
Old 11-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Project Manager

Anyways, exp will be normal. If it receives any increase, it will be minor.

This was one of the huge arguments prior to p99 launching. I didn't listen to it then, and proceeded onward. My experience since that time has shown I made the correct decision.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I don't think slightly faster to compensate for the inherent difficulties of a pvp server vs a blue server is a bad thing per se but for me its not really the end of the world.

Your arguments are just bad.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Sarnak

keep it classic baby.
If you wanted faster xp, you should have played one of the dozens of fail boxes that were open in the past few years with a population of 50-90.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

I'd consider the xp loss thing only kicking in maybe after a certain level broseph. People tightly packed in the newbie areas is gonna be seeing some delvlin'.
Closed Thread