Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Sarnak

Default Non iksar necro - reroll or fail?

I'm having a serious dillema.

I was a dark elf necro on live and at the time I was oblivious to the advantages of iksars and their regen.

Even when I started here on P99, iksar regen wasn't something I was thinking about. Now I'm lvl 43 on my dark elf necro. At spectres in Feerrott I'm feeling the pinch of balancing my mana and health due to the fast pace of the camp (trying to kill as many as possible per rotation). I find I have to cast vampiric curse every pull and throw in lifetaps with some regularity to not drop below 40% life.

I can't help but think an iksar would be spending less mana on those inefficient spells. My challenge is:

1.) Am I misguided in thinking an iksar would have a very different experience at 43? It looks like the big regen numbers don't even kick in until the 50's.

2.) Is it night and day? If it's a nice convenience but not life changing, playing 43 levels over is really unappealing.

3.) I'm not a big fan of the iksar model. DE are my swagger.

I realize this is a beaten to death topic but because I can't actually experience the iksar regen at 43 for myself, I was hoping for some clarity, particularly from those who may have played both.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Sarnak

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=181748
Old 02-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

I'm did see that. Most make iksar seem like the only option. Even more fervently than the ogre shaman bunch.

Some racials seem convenient. I'm getting the vibe that regen in this case transcends convenience and provides a new and substantially more enjoyable play experience.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Sarnak

I have a necro and wouldn't imagine playing with the regen. It's night and day.

Shm is an entirely different debate as regen vs frontal stun immunity is much closer comparison. Both have their merits and at the end of the day there are no mobs an ogre shm can solo that any other race can't solo as well.

On the other hand very might well be mobs/camps an iksar necro can solo that other races can't becaue of the difference in mana efficiency regen makes couple with lich line.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Kobold

play whatever race you like.

If you wana play a DE, do it. neriak is a such beautifull city [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loukhum, 49 Ogre Shaman
<Europa>
Old 02-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbuuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
play whatever race you like.

If you wana play a DE, do it. neriak is a such beautifull city [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obviously, play what you like. Just be aware that there will be a noticable difference between the two.

Could roll one on blue and one on red and play them both at the same time. Or roll 2 on red, they will both be 30 within a week or two and you can make an informed decision.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Sarnak

About the model complaint: To me every race ends up looking the same in caster robes anyways, and as a necro you spend alot of time in skeleton illusion. May as well go the min/max race imo!
Old 02-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

Non iksar will be toggling it off and on much more.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Fire Giant

Just gotta decide for yourself if regen is more important to you than re-leveling. There are a lot of levels to get re-done, but by the same token, the longest levels are still ahead of you. So, the question is, how much does it matter to you? It is definitely a day night difference. You don't even notice Lich damage until you're 34+. Anyone who has tried both knows how much of a day/night difference it is. In this case, this is a racial that benefits the central mechanic of Necromancer. There's still room to argue on Shaman, between Frontal Stun vs Regen (it is not my point here to take a stand), but necromancers are all about the regeneration.

If you like being your classic race, playing a Dark Elf... Stick with it. Enjoy it. But if you do care for regeneration, if you look at it and say "Huh, that's cool... I really want to have that.", I say reroll. The big thing is to make sure you're not sticking with Dark Elf because you want to justify it in some other way. Don't give into sunk costs, it so often leads people awry.

When I was a Dark Elf, I realized at 49 just how big a deal regeneration really was, and how much I was missing it. So I decided I would try to justify sticking as a Dark Elf. I tried to convince myself I wasn't missing much... And so I pushed through to 60. It was so much worse. I wish I had switched before doing the 50s and saved myself months of leveling.

You already have a necromancer at higher levels, so you can camp your Iksar jboots, get a CoS, and most of the stuff that makes it difficult at the start. You've been to a number of camps, go to different ones this time around.

So, that's my take on it. If you like dark elf, and don't care for regen, don't reroll. If you do see the appeal of regeneration, don't give into sunk costs, reroll, and utilize your current necromancer to leverage yourself some gear.
Last edited by Uteunayr; 02-20-2015 at 09:19 AM..
Old 02-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Sarnak

Thanks for the info Sesserdrix. Always super informative. I'm rolling again - in the grand scheme 43 is not that far, a few weeks of consistent play and I'll reap the benefits of regen forever.

I know iksar has some different itemization. Tome of Miragul is out and so are GEBs. Have you ever put together a rough iksar gearing list?
Closed Thread