Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...apart from X3 and Endless Sky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But not like clones, no, but "like", very much compared to other space sims. And they don't have the multiplayer component that drives EVE. There is even an EVE mod pack for X3, for the ships.
Eh..I don't think you can compare anything to Eve. I love space sims; I've been playing them since 1991 or so (Jesus I feel old all of a sudden..) but I couldn't get in to Eve. "You mean I don't actually fly my ship...?"

Eve felt like an MMO with a space skin on it, not a space simulator. To be a proper space simulator, you have to support a joystick. And rudder pedals. And as of 2014, Virtual Reality.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh..I don't think you can compare anything to Eve. I love space sims; I've been playing them since 1991 or so (Jesus I feel old all of a sudden..) but I couldn't get in to Eve. "You mean I don't actually fly my ship...?"

Eve felt like an MMO with a space skin on it, not a space simulator. To be a proper space simulator, you have to support a joystick. And rudder pedals. And as of 2014, Virtual Reality.
So Star Trek wouldn't be considered a space sim? They don't use joysticks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know about STO, never played it, had no playable klingon empire at launch, and I generally despise f2p's (sub is better) apart from open source or true free games with everything unlocked. But Star Trek was all buttons and pointing fingers in the general direction sort of stuff.

They initiated maneuvering control from a pretty much flat console, initiated by what seemed to be computer aided maneuvering patterns. Star Trek and EVE are strikingly similar. I haven't played EVE all year though, got fed up with CCP BS, especially false advertisement in their ads to get new players; they'd just like make stuff up not even in the game. I think my last post on their forums was something like they should fire their whole advertisement team [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nah, it's not in the controls, it's the universe mainly. Otherwise it'd just be a spaceship simulator or spaceship shooter. Space sim is broad, a living universe, be it RTS, 4X, space ship 3d sim, a mix of a lot of things, it's how it all functions together into this big oft times sandboxy/openworld setting. Been playing them since the 80's, such as with Starflight among other titles.

oh and as far as comparing to EVE, it's not just me. That's the buzz most places you look regarding the two games I listed, even in the EVE forum discussions especially with X3. It is, it's very similar, but not a clone. Now NMS looks very different, and that's a good thing.
Last edited by Daywolf; 07-13-2016 at 08:19 PM..
Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_jpn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone else's heuristic automatically filter this out of long term memory and preclude clicking lank solely based on the game's title?
My thoughts exactly, not sure what it is about it. Too try-hard indie and pretentious
Old 07-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So Star Trek wouldn't be considered a space sim? They don't use joysticks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know about STO, never played it, had no playable klingon empire at launch, and I generally despise f2p's apart from open source or true free games with everything unlocked. But Star Trek was all buttons and pointing fingers in the general direction sort of stuff.

They initiated maneuvering control from a pretty much flat console, initiated by what seemed to be computer aided maneuvering patterns. Star Trek and EVE are strikingly similar. I haven't played EVE all year though, got fed up with CCP BS, especially false advertisement in their ads to get new players; they'd just like make stuff up not even in the game. I think my last post on their forums was something like they should fire their whole advertisement team [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nah, it's not in the controls, it's the universe mainly. Otherwise it'd just be a spaceship simulator or spaceship shooter. Space sim is broad, a living universe, be it RTS, 4X, space ship 3d sim, a mix of a lot of things, it's how it all functions together into this big oft times sandboxy/openworld setting. Been playing them since the 80's, such as with Starflight among other titles.

oh and as far as comparing to EVE, it's not just me. That's the buzz most places you look regarding the two games I listed, even in the EVE forum discussions especially with X3. It is, it's very similar, but not a clone. Now NMS looks very different, and that's a good thing.
Not to get super-nerdy up in here, but: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/M...teering_column

STO played a lot like the old Star Trek: Starfleet Command series. For a free game, it's actually not bad. The "story" missions are a good way to kill some time if you're bored, and for the most part you can play the game as a single-player game. Avoid the star base bars. Last time I walked into one of them, there were are large number of female avatars engaged in various stages of cyber sex. Comedic at first, traumatizing long term.

I can see an X comparison to Eve, but X is still at its heart a HOTAS-controlled WWII-in-space dogfighter. Even in the most pitched cap-ship heavy battles, I'd still leave the AI to fly my destroyers and carriers and take out a Mamba...I suddenly want to play X3/TC again....

I can't see an NMS comparison to Eve, though. It's like trying to compare 2001 to Star Wars; they're both in space, but share nothing in common.
Last edited by Kevris; 07-13-2016 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My thoughts exactly, not sure what it is about it. Too try-hard indie and pretentious
Oh I didn't even click the OP link. Here, best vid imo: No Man's Sky - All 5 Trailers (So Far)

It's basically a big-big sandbox with a lot of different elements. Probably the most famed mechanic is the transition from space to planet which looks done VERY well, though not the first to do it. Like even recently, Space Engineers included it when they release planets into the game, though it's more realism style and no quick ways through the atmosphere ^^
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not to get super-nerdy up in here, but: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/M...teering_column

I can partially see an X comparison to Eve, but X is still at its heart a HOTAS-controlled WWII-in-space dogfighter. Even in the most pitched cap-ship heavy battles, I'd still leave the AI to fly my destroyers and carriers and take out a Mamba.

NMS is to Eve as Star Wars is to 2001.
I'm not a nerd, I'ma geek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Geeks are technical/historic, nerds are comic books/fantasy.

You suggest EVE is outdated? Geez, it's probably one of the most beautiful modernized-updated space sims, maybe the best looking mmo in eye candy of all the mmo's out. Have you actually played it the past few years if at all? And not only does it look awesome, the game is over 10yrs of development with features and mechanics. NMS looks good, but there is no way it will have the sheer depth of EVE, even if it somehow match it's beauty ... which trailers say it doesn't, though different.

oh and btw, what you suggest with controls, that would kill EVE, make it unplayable. There are technical reasons EVE is the way it is, otherwise it wouldn't be a one shard mmo with 1000's of players in huge fleet battles (in same area).
Last edited by Daywolf; 07-13-2016 at 08:51 PM..
Old 07-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
btw that's all 3rd gen ST, and still rarely seen. A shuttle in EVE is about the size of small cruiser in ST. https://youtu.be/bac6yvYzaVI

Sticks are for airplanes in space. Anything bigger would need to be by computer control, due to the large amount of thrusters and mass. EVE oversimplifies it if not for the narrative that capsuleers (player pilot characters) have a direct neuro connection to the ship.

After all, the EVE universe is set in the very distant future, cut off from Earth, civilization having crumbled and eventually risen again. Sticks are for little fighters and such, low mass, few thrusters, likely with atmospheric flight capabilities. Sticks are considered the minigame, something you access through Dust or Valkyrie, and as small ships that's where they do fit.

X3 can use sticks, but it can be very annoying when commanding large ships. Don't think this is the future? Look at todays self-driving cars. Yeah they are fail, but in time it will improve.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm not a nerd, I'ma geek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Geeks are technical/historic, nerds are comic books/fantasy.
REALLY!? I've had it backwards all this time? Can we get confirmation of this assertion? I always thought it was the opposite.

Also Daywolf, given that you are here on an elf sim message board, I'd say you are both [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-13-2016, 11:41 PM
Banned

Hopefully this game, somewhere down the line, includes an option to start with friends. This type of game seems like it would get old fast going it alone. I want to form a band of space pirates right off the bat or put together an explorers fleet with others. Game seems way too big for going it alone to be any fun.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
REALLY!? I've had it backwards all this time? Can we get confirmation of this assertion? I always thought it was the opposite.

Also Daywolf, given that you are here on an elf sim message board, I'd say you are both [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah geekdom is like technology, realism, history.
Sure EQ is fairly nerdy, but it's mixed, like Star Wars is mixed. Notice you said "sim" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And that is true since EQ is set in an openworld, and that is one of the more appealing aspects of it to me. It gives me the ability to go off the beaten track and explore different ways of playing the game.

Anyway you've probably read definitions by nerds, they usually mention their love affair with superheroes hehe.
But anyway, geeks are usually technical, such as the often used term Computer Geek. A matter of detail and application of applied technology and science. But also old technology, nothing becomes totally irrelevant but a matter of application. That's why like that show Vikings is considered the #1 Geek show, due to it's historic technical accuracies, though sometimes falls short, but also it's social aspects in history. Geeks are also known for a decent level of social skills, even if obsessive regarding dry details at times. #LinuxVsLinux #Simulators #Exploration #WellDressed #Science #History

Nerds can be technical too, but often lead double lives ^^ e.g. progression themepark mmo programmer by day, wears a superhero cape and stands on roof tops by night. History is a construct, ever changing by time travelers from our future, usually wearing super villain capes lol. Technology and physics is always limitless, even in social settings where it can be proven by whipping out a cellphone and locating Pokemon characters running around in AR space. #WindowsVsPlaystation #ProgressionThemeparks #min/maxing #SuperHeroCapes #Science-Fiction-Fantasy #ComicBooks

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

http://www.wired.com/2009/07/great-g...-geek-vs-nerd/
Last edited by Daywolf; 07-14-2016 at 12:34 AM..
Closed Thread