Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

You sure you're not just a fucking dork?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sure you're not just a fucking dork?
hah nah. 10yrs in the field of robotics, paid job, can't be a dork and do that, then guitar/vocal gig on weekends with friends at social settings. Did your rifle come with a Brony holster?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not a nerd, I'ma geek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Geeks are technical/historic, nerds are comic books/fantasy.

You suggest EVE is outdated? Geez, it's probably one of the most beautiful modernized-updated space sims, maybe the best looking mmo in eye candy of all the mmo's out. Have you actually played it the past few years if at all? And not only does it look awesome, the game is over 10yrs of development with features and mechanics. NMS looks good, but there is no way it will have the sheer depth of EVE, even if it somehow match it's beauty ... which trailers say it doesn't, though different.

oh and btw, what you suggest with controls, that would kill EVE, make it unplayable. There are technical reasons EVE is the way it is, otherwise it wouldn't be a one shard mmo with 1000's of players in huge fleet battles (in same area).
Nah, never would I say it's outdated. It is certainly a good looking game, just too "dull" for my tastes. I like space planes, not space battleships. Eve Valkyrie is pretty fun though!

I think NMS is going for space planes rather than space battleships, hence my contention that the two, though set in space, do not compare well.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, never would I say it's outdated. It is certainly a good looking game, just too "dull" for my tastes. I like space planes, not space battleships. Eve Valkyrie is pretty fun though!

I think NMS is going for space planes rather than space battleships, hence my contention that the two, though set in space, do not compare well.
Sure, it's not for everyone, that's for sure. The battleships aren't bad, and really the frigates and cruisers sound more like your style as they are mine (well frigates and battleships are mine). It's just the capital ships that are imo boring as hell, and depending on the type of battleship you put together some of those are just as bad (you build your ships in EVE).

Frigates are fun though, though newbies usually try to skip training them and go straight to larger ships they can't even fly well for six months. But I was specialized in a bunch of frigs, put almost 2yrs of SP (skill points) into them, then a couple years into battleships while the rest into other things (some more years, modest cruiser skill etc.).

Thing is, like Assault Frigates and Stealth Bombers, those frigates to me are accelerating to pilot, an absolute rush. They have 100% of the zooming and dodging, and it's an art form to take an AF into close quarters battles (my fav is the Hawk) with multiple targets. There is just sooo much going on in those fights, there is no way you could micro-manage steering.

I hit the wall in X3, it too has a lot going on in large fights, and if I'm in a small/med fighter, it's a pain to micro-manage my course while dealing with 10+ targets, especially coming out of a gate on a assassination/bounty hunter mission. imo piloting and managing threats is a two man job even in a small fighter if there is some realism.

So like EVE has a lot of mitigation if you fly your ship properly, like angles and speed and signature radius and junk, it's the most complex I know of. There is a huge amount of calculation going on with the server in an EVE fight. What I see of NMS, there looks to be none of that at all. In fact it looks extremely casual as far as spaceship fights go. That's it's real downside it looks, but while exploration and planet transitions is definitely it's strong point. But as far as selling it on it's combat complexities, that's not there at all, straight up,, and even X3 looks to surpass it in that area.

So I wait until after release, maybe they will polish it up more. They probably will, I'm thinking a lot of die hard space sim vet players are going to raise a little stink about it. Combat is more my emphasis, I always choose combat pilot in these games (a little trading, no mining), but exploration can be nice but doesn't hold me as the meat and potatoes of a space sim.

You really like playing the combat pilot, X3:AP for sure, or EVE - though atm I'm put off by CCP, I may be done with it after years, but still fine for others, though it's not a game for everyone.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Kobold

I'm gonna play it.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really like playing the combat pilot, X3:AP for sure, or EVE - though atm I'm put off by CCP, I may be done with it after years, but still fine for others, though it's not a game for everyone.
Yeah, I have a lot of hours invested into reunion, TC and AP (majority of the time in TC, I didn't like some of the changes in AP), but now all of my time is occupied by Elite: Dangerous. For my tastes, it is the most perfect space sim ever released.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Planar Protector

Launching this weekend. Who's ready?

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Planar Protector

They going to patch it on release? Last I heard the content patch may be a couple days late.

Nope, my desktop's on the fritz. Haven't ran it all week, could be a mobo prob or the vid card, not sure yet. Was tempted to add more memory to run it, but not at this point I guess. My laptop wont run it, thats for sure. I picked up VoidExpanse on a steam sale this weekend, may just need to settle on that for now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

It was scheduled to release last week and they pushed it back to this week. Leaked copies got a head start and supposedly made it to the center so they're expanding it and wiping the server

Per this article:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.usgam...android-att-us

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I have a lot of hours invested into reunion, TC and AP (majority of the time in TC, I didn't like some of the changes in AP), but now all of my time is occupied by Elite: Dangerous. For my tastes, it is the most perfect space sim ever released.
Hmmm missed this reply until mow. Yeah I'm split on tc vs ap. But ap has the whole terran war going on, I like that since I'm more of a combat pilot above anything else. The main thing that drives me crazy about tc though is that system which removes inactive stations.

Well in tc it hurts the most, since by the time you get to Aldrin, the factories to make weapons for the Spitfyre or Springblossom might not be there any longer. So when I wiped my laptop and reinstalled, with SSD room to spare for only one or the other, AP just so I can avoid bothering with Adrin all together [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yeah, they are getting aged, but still an advanced space sim with it's own way of doing things. I like the 4X/rts/fps style of play it does, with a living style galaxy always in motion.