Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Paladin Epic vs other weapons

I saw a topic just like this about the SK epic, and i wanted to open up the same line of thought for the paladin epic.

The below is a link to what I believe to be all the weapons a paladin can use, sorted by DPS

https://wiki.project1999.com/Special...imary/AllItems

By this list, Fiery Defender is 36th.

Now obviously the fiery defender has some intangibles, like the ability to use bash, the proc effect and the stats, but in your opinion, where does/should the fiery defender rank in terms of best paladin weapons?

Thanks for your input!
Old 12-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

I'm happy with FD. The AC & stats & decent agro proc are all solid when I tank. When I tank it's all about controlling agro, so nobody cares about my damage output. If I'm not tanking, it's either a social group, so nobody cares about my damage output, or a raid, so nobody cares about my damage output.

An epic paladin really shouldn't care about personal damage output. (Except for making jokes, especially at the expense of any non-cleric who parses below you on somebody's dps calculator after a fight.) DPS is not only the least of a paladin's attributes, it is almost always the least important.

When I want to do damage, I don't play my paladin. When i muck around solo on my paladin for a change of pace, Kilva's Skin of Flame more than doubles my damage output vs unslowed mobs. Marginal differences in weapon damage just aren't important.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

If you have the means (guilded or willing/able to pay for MQ and help) to get the FD it certainly seems worth the effort. The ratio isn't the best but stats, bash, proc w/ stun aggro, fashion. It's pretty great.

As a filthy casual I've pretty much accepted my plight as a Narandi's Lance/Reaver 2h pally. It's not a bad plight but I'd ditch either for a FD as a tanking weapon.

I'm not sure how common Frostreaver's are on P99 but IMHO it would certainly be a nice easy alternative if your guild kills Dain and you happen to be a Dwarf or Human. If you are a Tunare pally the Nature's Defender is another fairly close contender.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm happy with FD. The AC & stats & decent agro proc are all solid when I tank. When I tank it's all about controlling agro, so nobody cares about my damage output. If I'm not tanking, it's either a social group, so nobody cares about my damage output, or a raid, so nobody cares about my damage output.

An epic paladin really shouldn't care about personal damage output. (Except for making jokes, especially at the expense of any non-cleric who parses below you on somebody's dps calculator after a fight.) DPS is not only the least of a paladin's attributes, it is almost always the least important.

When I want to do damage, I don't play my paladin. When i muck around solo on my paladin for a change of pace, Kilva's Skin of Flame more than doubles my damage output vs unslowed mobs. Marginal differences in weapon damage just aren't important.
Sudz and his Vulak axe would disagree.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Fire Giant

Outside of ToV loot it's one of the best all-around 2handers for the combination of fashion, stats, bash, ratio, and piety. However, if you're trying to maximize dps then a lot of one-handers beat it. Sword of blessings (19/25) from Velketor parses about on-par with epic. Darkmetal falchion from hate and massive dragonclaw shard from zlandicar (or purchaseable) both beat it. All three of those are obtainable without dedicated raiding. If you include ToV loot, epic isn't even in the running dps-wise: every knight-specific weapon there beats it.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 12-08-2018, 02:30 AM
Sarnak

The proc is a stun and has a reduction to MR to hit, it is great verse monsters that cast . like the frogloks in seb, but for raw dps many of the tov 1 handers do better at this stage.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 AM
Sarnak

I have both FD and ND. ND has a little more damage, but you can't bash with it. It also has higher AC. Proc is about the same, I think ND proc is 5 damage less. It's a toss-up on which one you want to use, but I definitely love the bash option on the epic.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Banned

Just do the paladin quest in plane of growth (Tunare Deity Only).
Its better in every way vs the paladin epic AND only takes about maybe... an hour or two to do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeophi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just do the paladin quest in plane of growth (Tunare Deity Only).
Its better in every way vs the paladin epic AND only takes about maybe... an hour or two to do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How so? Only edge it has statistically on the FD is AC. You can't bash with it, doesn't look as cool as the epic, worse overall stats, and the worst part is that you have to be a High Elf/Half Elf.

In response to OP, it's definitely not as effective as the SK epic. I'd say skip it if you plan to raid hardcore ToV, but if you are semi-casual/casual and have means of obtaining it then it's worth it IMO. I obtain epics on any class that I can, they are the only quests I've ever enjoyed doing in this game.
Last edited by Crede; 12-08-2018 at 07:29 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Banned

38/46(Nature's Defender)vs 35/40 (Fiery Defender)\
With 2h Weapons bonus damage increases higher the delay (Or for some reason is this not a thing?)

45 AC on ND (HOLY thats a lot ) VS Fiery defender 15 AC ( nice but its definitely not 45 nice )

The AC Alone is way worth the 45 HP and 5 mana difference.
The stats.. Sure epic is better.
the proc? The epic does 5 more spell damage and stuns for .5 more seconds.

So what do you get when using the Natures Defender? One.. More damage per melee hit and Two.. MORE procs. Since procs are based upon Dex modifier + weapon delay, higher delay = higher chance of procs!
Have two paladins with the exact same gear besides the natures defender and Epic
100% Natures Defender WILL win.
The epic does look cool. Have fun killing naggy/nox and all that other silly stuff for a sword thats on fire.
The natures defender is kind of ugly no lie.
Closed Thread