Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

lol I remember Motor City Online, well, I remember reading about it the first time I left live EQ. Would have never remembered the name, just remember thinking a car MMO was a little odd given that I didn't know a single person interested in both cars and MMOs.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He is right though, EQ Next was never even advertised to be any of those things.
I don't disagree, I simply pointed out that Ad Hominem attacks are undesirable.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llurendt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't disagree, I simply pointed out that Ad Hominem attacks are undesirable.
shut up pussy

Landazar [50 Magician]
Old 04-22-2016, 02:37 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr4990 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dang this takes me back lol, I actually played this for a couple months during my Everquest retail days.

Very underrated game IMO, fully customize your car, like changing out headers, pistons, block, etc to get a few more HP/Torque. Paid for parts/upgrades with money earned from races, pretty much Money = EXP.

My starting car was an early 60's Ranchero and all I did was build it up for drag racing.

You could drag for money or pink slips against other players. I quit when I lost my pride and joy in a race.

RIP Fast And Furious Simulator 2002
Old 04-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclyte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
shut up pussy
Very immature.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Fire Giant

I think there are still quite a few gamers out there who want something new that's more like something classic. P1999 is just a small subset. You also have a lot of players from Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, hell even Vanilla WoW who all feel like something is missing from more modern games. People are already capitalizing on that with the crowdfunding excitement. Just look at Shroud of the Avatar, Camelot Unchained, Pantheon, Crowfall, etc. You could even count the ridiculousness of Star Citizen as a result of people who want a modern take on a classic experience.

Will they get it? Not entirely. Nostalgia tends to paint all of these older games in a much better light than they deserve. Even if any of them manage to create a similar experience I think something will still be lacking just based on how the players have aged and experienced more of life. That said I think they could still make some pretty great games.

The things I think are missing from modern games are pretty simple really:

- The vast majority of content should not be easy to complete alone. You have to talk to other people. You want people to keep playing your game after they have every upgrade they can possibly grab? Make it a requirement for them to make friends. They will feel obligated to maintain those friendships and log back in.

- There should be no requirement for direct balance between classes. Some classes may be awesome at soloing, some may be awesome in groups, some may have very niche roles that they perform exceptionally well. You want to capture all playstyles you have to do this. Making every class "different but equal" or making every character capable of doing every thing makes every character boring.

- Loot should be unique and/or interesting. Loot should never have any sort of planned equality of stat distribution. I want to have a chance to pick up some item at level 10 that is still awesome when I am 50. Tiered item upgrades are fucking boring. (see WoW or EQLive) I want to luck out on an FBSS roll and have my character get a significant boost. Spending an hour running through a dungeon for a 25% chance at a 1% upgrade is boring.

- Pace. The game needs to have a pace that is conducive to conversation. If your whole group will die because you decided to spend 15 seconds typing a sentence into group chat the game is too fast paced. I want actions to take a bit of consideration and have a significant impact. I don't want to have to have lightning reflexes to play well. If I am playing an MMO I plan to be playing for at least a couple of hours. I don't want my hands to be tired from pressing an endless cycle of the same 5 buttons every 4 seconds. I want to be able to relax and talk to my groupmates.

- No cash item shop even for cosmetic items. You want to look amazing, earn it in the game. You want to level faster? Play better. You don't like your character name? Reroll. You picked the wrong stats? Reroll or balance it out with gear.

That's it. All of this about slow leveling, painful death, etc while I think can have an impact I don't think it has nearly as much of one as people think. To me all the "harsh lifestyle" of EQ can be avoided by any combination of a.) having a lot of time, b.) not being bad, or c.) having a friend with a cleric. If you can circumvent all of the punishment the game inflicts doesn't it sorta lose meaning?

Anyway, too much typing but my original point is just that I think there is an audience for this type of game. It's not a OMG WE JUST TOPPED WoW'S NUMBERS audience but I think there is definitely enough of one to make a profitable game. The problem is that it can't be a really shit tier game.

I don't want to see another Shadowbane. Shadowbane was super fun even being a completely shit tier game. Yet it failed (mostly for being a shit tier game imo) and everyone is like SEE THE ONLY WAY TO DO THE PVP IS BORING RVR LIKE THE DAOC. I see the same thing happening here. Someone releases a terrible game that has a long grind and painful death, claims it is the ultimate classic experience, fails miserably cuz their game is like Rubies of Eventide or some shit, and then everyone is like SEE NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY A CLASSIC GAME. Please don't do that Brad McQuaid.

: /
Last edited by jilena; 04-22-2016 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: I type like a retard.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never heard of it, and neither had you before you googled it.
I played that game full time for almost a year before shitty fucking EA shut it down. Was really underrated as hell I loved that game. Nice try though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dang this takes me back lol, I actually played this for a couple months during my Everquest retail days.

Very underrated game IMO, fully customize your car, like changing out headers, pistons, block, etc to get a few more HP/Torque. Paid for parts/upgrades with money earned from races, pretty much Money = EXP.

My starting car was an early 60's Ranchero and all I did was build it up for drag racing.

You could drag for money or pink slips against other players. I quit when I lost my pride and joy in a race.

RIP Fast And Furious Simulator 2002
Tell me about it dude. I miss that game all the time and there's nothing else out there anything like it. I've yet to find a racing game with 1/4 the amount of customization options that MCO had. I was pretty young at the time and didn't know a ton about cars but I thoroughly enjoyed drag racing in that game. Had a 66 Shelby Cobra that was sooo decked out and sick looking lol.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:00 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniture [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
article is garbage

the author says about EQnext -"It was to be a resurrection of the golden days of slow burn gameplay, meaningful community, deep and expansive world making, and genuine long-term challenge."

EQNext was never going to be any of those things and only an idiot thought otherwise
Not sure why so angry, but ok. The point however is not quite right. When it was originally mooted as a concept, the implication was exactly that. Then it morphed fast into something else. It was such a quick turnaround I actually felt bait and switched at the time.

You can Google to see the timeline of it all. Most of the initial discussion/impression was on forums however. The very first hyperlink in the article goes to Wikipedia whose description of the game intimates the same thing.
Last edited by t0lkien; 04-24-2016 at 02:04 AM..
Old 04-24-2016, 05:22 AM
Aviak

I've always thought that an offline single player game like Baldur's Gate but with EQ mechanics and lore would be a nice starting platform for an successor to the pocket mobile EQ games. Expanding that to an online game where a player, perhaps in an MMO, controlled an entire raid of players (say 54 characters) while controlling time in the encounters would be challenging and entertaining. Freezing time repeatedly to set certain functions or conditions for the encounter and then letting those progress sounds appealing, at least to me. I have a romantic notion about that.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calthaer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In short, the game should balance itself. "Zones," in this world, that are empty become gradually filled with harder (and wealthier) enemies until players show up to plunder it. Those enemies might not be the same every time - maybe new and different types of mobs would move in from adjacent areas (say, for example, that the orcs of Everfrost Peaks moved in and booted the gnolls out of Blackburrow). There should be advantages to keeping zones clear, and it should be hard to do so - enemy armies perhaps generate to swarm particular areas at certain times. Maybe creatures can gather resources and "farm" players the way players farm creatures - strategically preying upon weaker players to gain strength.
Yep this is exactly what needs to happen. Especially with regards to many quests, especially epic quests, in a game like Everquest. Make everyone have to go down a different path to complete many of the quests, with dynamic group content that is set to spawn specifically for the character who invokes it in the given zone via their own unique quest.