Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 05-18-2022, 12:12 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Of course the pseudo-elitist purists hate on instancing because they are the lifeless shut-ins that play EQ like 12 hours a day for the real classic feel, but the normal, well-adjusted adults that want to experience old nostalgia love the TLP teddy-bear instancing because it allows you to experience it quickly and then move onto something else. I play EQ for a handful of weeks, mostly fucking around on alts in CB or MM, then after about a year or two and think "man EQ used to be fun" and do it again. What adult has that kind of free time to put into a video game? Classic EQ was soul crushingly demanding of your time. Normal people can't invest like that as adults.
I don't fit in the hardcore crowd but there is a time and a place for instancing. I like it in modern MMO's but it's also nice to have that nostalgic competition for zones. I have tried many times to get back into Live EQ servers and it never lasts long. I would much rather playing on P99.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:24 AM
Fire Giant

If you go in with the understanding that you are going to be playing with inflated everything and revamps and that they are simply content locked servers, these TLPs are pretty fun for a while. I'm probably biased about that because I just have a thing for fresh starts on new servers and did the first 3 rounds of these things years ago.

Problem for me always is that these servers are massive Krono farms for the absolute dregs of society and it makes doing a lot of what makes EQ fun really annoying at best and impossible at worst. Sad to see really.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's why you are talking to this group instead of 12 month PUGs. Yes, it is better.
I'm here cause these forums are infinitely more entertaining than the main EQ forums. Mostly cause of all the drama that unfolds due to all the asinine behavior that results from lack of instances at the endgame. What's more entertaining A: a forum full of people playing a game they enjoy with mostly nothing major to complain about and no competitive pvp or pve that result in drama or B: a forum full of overgrown man children flinging shit at each other 24/7/365 while they screenshare track 16hr window variance raid mobs and practice "racing" for pixel dragons (and in some cases abuse scripts to "win") on a server that has been doing the same exact content every week for 10+ years and acting like it's still important?

It's quite obvious which forum is going to be a more entertaining trainwreck to stare at. Has nothing to do with which version of the game is more fun/less cancerous to play on. Good try tho.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:20 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 05-20-2022, 09:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lack of time is one of the reasons I like P99: If it takes me 5 years to build up a character, I can get away with that here because the game's a static era and doesn't outrun my limited efforts at character advancement.
This is where I stand on the subject, too. I was 50 and doing planes when green was in classic, but couldn't play as much during Kunark so I was 56 when Velious hit. I then finished my grind at my own pace and slowly put my VP key together, got my Torpor and the whole 9 yards and now I can raid endgame content while working on my monk alt in between events.

On TLP, even if the population remained steady, I simply wouldn't be able to keep up. By the time I hit 60, Luclin would have been out, then I would have AA's to grind and wouldn't have been able to enjoy VP because we'd already be keying for Vex Thal, etc. Having some static endgame is actually healthy here I'd say.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
female dwarf ftw...beards over bras
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-20-2022, 10:49 AM
Banned

Good news would be p99 unlocking female playable Erudar.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So lots of people have bad taste? That’s nothing new
p99 exists so yeah
Old 05-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

The reason why instancing sucks is because it totally ruins the illusion/immersion of being in a' world within a world '

It's awesome to play EQ because when I am somewhere in the game, or killing some named mob, I know that this is the only version of that going on. So it adds to this feeling of being in a 'living breathing world' but as soon as you instance shit the illusion is destroyed and now I'm staring at these 1999 graphics and realizing I'm just playing some old fucking computer game and the magic fades away.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:24 AM
Orc

giving daybreak money in 2022 for anything is pathetic.