Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 12:05 PM
Kobold

AC and HP are the two most important for Tanks. Procs are nice but only a small part of hate generation. White damage is most of it.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

It depends on your class, level range, what content you are doing, and how many people you are playing with. OP hasn't stated his class, level, or player count preference, but I will assume non 60 Warrior for now that solos and groups.

Levels 1-40:
HP Regen, Max HP, Haste, and decent ratio weapons are all you need. Mobs level 1-39 are not balanced for players running around with +15HP regen from a Fungi, +500HP from gear, 20%+ Haste, and decent ratio weapons. Everquest stat scaling is very end game oriented. This means you are getting little returns from STA/WIS/INT in terms of HP/Mana. Most proc weapons are 45+, so DEX is basically useless. AGI always scales poorly past 75, and STR/ATK don't matter too much with damage caps and low skill caps (more misses). CHA also doesn't matter, as you are not getting Divine Intervention at low levels. Resistances generally aren't too necessary at this range, as the HP and HP Regen will soak the lower damage spells. They are only really useful if you are fighting a magic caster that can do things like root, slow, etc. AC is obviously good, but this level range isn't balanced for people running around with good gear, so if you have something like 140 worn AC (the equivalent of a full set of Fine Plate), you will be above average already. If you have a Fungi, +500HP, and 20%+ Haste, you can easily hit 140 worn AC or more.

Levels 40-50:
This is a bit of a grey area, and highly depends on what gear you have access to. Mobs start hitting much harder (which means Max HP and HP Regen are doing less for you), you are still waiting on clickies/proc weapons, and stat scaling/skill levels are starting to get good. In general I would say just stick to whatever equipment you have already, and hopefully you have some good clickies/proc weapons waiting to be used. Resistances may start to matter here, depending on what you are fighting, but in general there are still plenty of Warrior mobs you can fight for simplicity, both in Solo and Group content that give good XP. At this level range you can also start using some of the better easy to get hate generation weapons, if you prefer to group.

Levels 50-59:
During this phase of the game most equipment has opened up in terms of procs and clickies, stat scaling is good, and spell casters start to get nasty. At this point you should go for a more balanced approach. Get swappable resistance gear for nasty casters and lower level raids. Make sure you have enough HP, STA, AC, and HP Regen to not die. While it is difficult to give a one size fits all answer, you honestly don't need much more than 1k AC and 3kHP. Once you have achieved that, you can start raising STR/DEX/ATK (and haste if you can afford it) for faster kill speeds. Faster kill speeds mean more kills per hour, which means more XP and loot. If you prefer to group, get the best hate generation weapons you can. If you prefer to solo, get as many clickies and utility proc weapons as you can, those will help more than stats. You still need to grind to 60, and most solo/group content does not need more than 1k AC and 3kHP. This is because mobs hit harder, which means Max HP and HP Regen are doing less for you. Unless you are raiding on a different character and giving raid loot to your Warrior, the amount of good STA and +HP items you have available to you haven't changed much since the lower level ranges. For example, 130 HP (Two 6/65 Rings) is the equivalent of one max hit from a mob at this level range. If a fight was decided by 130 HP, the problem was the encounter and your skill level, not your equipment.

Level 60:
Once you have maxed out your level, most Warriors want to raid. This means stacking as much HP as possible and capping STA, while trying to sprinkle in AC and resistances when you can, by getting gear that gives you all three. The reason why you stack HP for raiding is because you are generally getting healed by a CH chain, so more HP means more efficient heals, and more room for CH chain error. Some raid bosses basically ignore AC and Resistances, which is why Max HP ends up being the best all around stat. However, some raid bosses DO need AC and Resistances, so if you ONLY get Max HP, you will end up swapping out gear, which means you are lowering your HP. Most Warrior raid loot is quite expensive due to it being highly contested, so you need to pick your battles in terms of what gear you spend DKP on, unless you are a hardcore raider with something like 50% attendance. For example, lets look at the leg slot, which were debated recently in other threads. For Warrior Legs, the top three items are 1. Wurm Hide, 2. Koi Greaves, 3. SS Greaves. Buying Koi Greaves for 200 DKP is a pretty big waste, as they only give you +4AC and +15HP over SS Greaves, which are fairly easy to get. You also lose the +MR from the SS Greaves. It is much better to either save that DKP for Wurm Hide, or use it on another slot for a better upgrade. At the end of the day BiS Warrior gear is giving you great AC, HP, and Resistances all at the same time, and those are the items you want to shoot for when spending your DKP. This will allow you to maintain all three of those stats very well, without having to switch out gear and sacrifice one for the other.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:42 PM
Sarnak

^ This guy can EQ. /clap. i wish this forum had a reputation or points sys so i could 1+ ya, and -1 all the "herpderp hp is everything, no explanation, never stepped outta tov" posts
Old 01-17-2022, 08:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ This guy can EQ. /clap. i wish this forum had a reputation or points sys so i could 1+ ya
I second this! I may not always agree with everything said, but I can count on thoughtful, well explained presentation of information/opinion/etc. when I see Shamwowi post.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ This guy can EQ. /clap. i wish this forum had a reputation or points sys so i could 1+ ya, and -1 all the "herpderp hp is everything, no explanation, never stepped outta tov" posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I second this! I may not always agree with everything said, but I can count on thoughtful, well explained presentation of information/opinion/etc. when I see Shamwowi post.
Thanks! Glad I could help[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-18-2022, 02:33 AM
Sarnak

I don't remember where, but Meathookk on green tested AGI as a 60 monk vs cliff golems and a huge AGI difference made actual zero difference in damage taken against NPC's, but against players in dueling it mattered. Wish I knew where the link was, as it is wiki-worthy material. I now totally ignore AGI on gear.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:36 AM
Planar Protector

Agi boosts the avoidance score (alongside the defense skill). The biggest boosts are between 50 and 75. Technically there are improvements to your avoidance score after 75, but these are smaller and if you are facing blue cons or under the chances are your avoidance stat is so far beyond their accuracy parsing wouldn’t shoe any difference.

I suspect parsing may show improvements for agility 75+ against whites, yellows and reds but this improvement would be far overshadowed by the jump between 69 and 75 agi.

But who has the time to parse 100 hours of chain healing vs yellow/ red under controlled conditions?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-18-2022, 05:38 AM
Planar Protector

Personally I view agi as a secondary carry stat - a way to mitigate encumbrance. It is also handy if you are fighting somewhere with enemies that cast a lot of incapacitate. Feels good to drop 50 agi but still be above 75 ‘penalty’.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah AGI isn't worth purposely getting items for sadly. Its a nice bonus if you happen to get it on an item with other stats, as it does increase AC a little bit. I think its something like 4 AGI per 1 AC or something. Its been a while since I tried to figure out the formula, but it is pretty minimal sadly. I have no idea how the avoidance score increase works, nor have I tested it.

I agree with Jimjam, it can be nice to prevent you from going under 75 when encumbered.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Just cast Deliriously Nimble on my Shaman to test it out.

Without the buff I have 90 AGI and 1204 AC.
With the buff I have 142 AGI and 1217 AC.

So it is basically 4 AGI per 1 AC once you are above 75 AGI. At least on a Priest, not sure if the formula changes for Tanks, or if it is affected by the softcap. Not great to be honest, but again it is a nice bonus stat if you happen to get it on an item with other good stats. It never hurts to get a bit of extra AC. Something like a 6+ Neck or Hierophant Cloak would be giving you at least 1 bonus AC with the AGI it has, for example.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-18-2022 at 01:04 PM..
Closed Thread