Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Sarnak

Exclamation [Unknown Error] Unable to login

So I was in the process of trying to play last night and suddenly I wasn't able to log onto either of my accounts. The past week or so, I've been playing on and off with no issues. Been playing on this server for a couple years now and no stranger to how to setup the install.

However, last night when trying to login, sometimes I would get no server listing and sometimes I would get a server listing but when I clicked play, the software would sit for a couple seconds and then display an unknown error and do nothing. This all seemed weird so I reinstalled the server files from the main website thinking that something else was updated. Unfortunately this didn't work. Over the next couple hours, I reinstalled EQ, reinstalled WinEq, removed necessary files from the EQ folder, reinstalled server files, rebooted multiple times as well as tried running the game directly from the "Launch Titanium" batch file and WinEQ but nothing worked. I continue to either get no server listing, an unknown error or I'm not even able to get to the server select screen. In one instance, I was able to get to character select just to have the software crash and push me back out, this is the farthest I have gotten.

After checking the Project 1999 forums for answers, I know the most common issue is either a messed up installed or something is blocking the connections. I've checked my router for blocking sites and/or exceptions list, I've listed the EQ folder in my antivirus exceptions list, verified windows firewall is turned off and still I can't seem to figure out the problem.

Is there anything else I can try to correct this? Hoping I can get some answers before I get home from work today.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Sarnak

Found this:

10. "An unknown error occurred while trying to join the server" I get this error, what do i do?

This issue can happen for a number of reasons, usually it can be fixed by simply attempting to log in a few times. However, if you find that you still can't log in,
try changing your eqhost.txt file from:

[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998

to

[LoginServer]
Host=leqemulator.net:5998

Credit for this fix goes to sebastionleo. thanks sebastion!

Gonna try it when I get home, only lead thus far, any other suggestions?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Sounds more symptomatic of a general connectivity issue rather than something specific like blocked ports or firewall interference. Definitely doesn't sound like anything related to your EQ installation. Since you were playing with no problems the past week, it sounds like something with your connection went awry. Obligatory copy & paste paragraph:

Are there any other devices connected to your router, wirelessly or otherwise? If something else on your network is hogging bandwidth this could happen - you can find out if this is the issue by connecting to your router's configuration page and changing your network password. Could also be caused by a weak wireless connection if you're connected wirelessly. When you reset your router it's a good idea to disconnect the internet line for a good five minutes so that you'll be assigned a new IP address when you reconnect.

If none of that works, I'd call your ISP and have them run some diagnostics on your connection.

Troubleshooting connection issues with P99 can be pretty counterintuitive because everything else could be working perfectly fine - you could be connecting to other games fine, your connection could seem flawless in every other way but there could still be some weird hangup preventing you from relaying packets with the P99 servers. I don't know enough about networking to say exactly why that is, but a good starting point is your connection to the internet.

You should also make sure it's not just your computer - if you have another machine that can connect to the internet, try connecting to P99 on that. If that can connect, then you can pretty much rule out your ISP and your router, and just focus on your computer. There are lots of connectivity-related things that can happen to your computer that would interrupt your connection, such as malware or even well-intended software that is doing something your connection or configuration doesn't agree with.

A more drastic thing you can try is completely resetting your router, either by accessing its firmware and selecting some kind of "reset to default" option, or by pressing & holding the tiny reset button that pretty much all routers have on the back.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Sarnak

Well so far I've changed DNS servers, ran as admin, changed EQHost file and still nothing is working. Seems to be a connection issue as I cant even ping any of the login servers but can ping the primary domain. Still trying to figure it out.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Decaying Skeleton

When changing the eqhost.txt file it will not give me access to change the file. Suggestions?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Aviak

this happend to me just now, i was swapping toons and now i cant log into any accounts without getting this message. I was just on... tried restarting computers, nothing... and my internet is blazing fast, ini file is fine...

In my 8+ years on server ive never seen this

update, took waiting a good amount of time until i could get back in.
Last edited by mackenzie; 11-14-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Old 12-03-2021, 03:43 AM
Orc

Thank you for this thread !!! It's a lifeline for my game problem once I've fixed it.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Having the same problem here. This only began yesterday. I've now it had it happen twice. Also have updated the eqhost.txt and no changes.
It has worked occasionally and usually just waiting (30-60mins) has cleared it up, so it appears to be the server, but i can't be sure.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:44 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Blank server list or unable to join server

I am unable to log in after 9pm Eastern time (if I was already logged in and do not zone, I will stay on until I zone) and after that time I have trouble accessing the project1999.com website, and forums (they load VERY slow, and cannot download anything) but when I go to bed and wake up in the morning, everything works fine.... until 9pm -5GMT...
Old 01-21-2022, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatouKuroiTamashi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am unable to log in after 9pm Eastern time (if I was already logged in and do not zone, I will stay on until I zone) and after that time I have trouble accessing the project1999.com website, and forums (they load VERY slow, and cannot download anything) but when I go to bed and wake up in the morning, everything works fine.... until 9pm -5GMT...
Sounds like you probably should have bumped this thread instead.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.