Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-24-2021, 07:45 PM
Orc

Wow RIVA (along with force quitting Radeon Software) actually worked for me. I can't believe it, thank you so much was pulling my hair out.

Cheers!
Old 01-06-2022, 12:09 AM
Large Rat

I tried Riva and force quitting Radeon software and had no luck, game is still capped at 35-40 fps. Driving me nuuuuuuts. I also just tried uninstalling the 2021 Radeon software and installing Adrenaline 2019 but its so unstable it crashes anytime I attempt to open the gaming tab... ugh there has to be a solution.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftbane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried Riva and force quitting Radeon software and had no luck, game is still capped at 35-40 fps. Driving me nuuuuuuts. I also just tried uninstalling the 2021 Radeon software and installing Adrenaline 2019 but its so unstable it crashes anytime I attempt to open the gaming tab... ugh there has to be a solution.
Are you running p99 from your C drive? I have Radeon and that’s what solved the problem for me. It was on my D drive from the start.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 01-06-2022, 02:33 PM
Large Rat

I am running it from my C drive yes, I even tried a fresh install on my other hard drive last night and still no luck. Thanks for the tip though!

I pulled out my ancient windows XP computer from storage and tried running it off there and the frame rate hits 60 no problem on lower resolutions... it was nice to see that it is at least possible, can't give up now after feeling that buttery 60 fps. There's obviously something running on my main computer that's capping my frame rate but honestly i have no clue what it could be if it's not the radeon software. Will continue sleuthing.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftbane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am running it from my C drive yes, I even tried a fresh install on my other hard drive last night and still no luck. Thanks for the tip though!

I pulled out my ancient windows XP computer from storage and tried running it off there and the frame rate hits 60 no problem on lower resolutions... it was nice to see that it is at least possible, can't give up now after feeling that buttery 60 fps. There's obviously something running on my main computer that's capping my frame rate but honestly i have no clue what it could be if it's not the radeon software. Will continue sleuthing.
Does your monitor settings hz match the hz you have applied in game?
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 01-06-2022, 03:11 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does your monitor settings hz match the hz you have applied in game?
Yes. I have tried setting the max FPS to 60 in the options menu as well as set the refresh rate to 60hz in the resolution settings. My monitors refresh rate is also set to 60hz in the windows display settings.

I have also tried changing the refresh rate manually in the .ini file from the EQ directory.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yes. I have tried setting the max FPS to 60 in the options menu as well as set the refresh rate to 60hz in the resolution settings. My monitors refresh rate is also set to 60hz in the windows display settings.

I have also tried changing the refresh rate manually in the .ini file from the EQ directory.
Aw man, was hoping that’d help. Sorry dude I’m at a loss. The C drive thing fixed it for me.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:10 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aw man, was hoping that’d help. Sorry dude I’m at a loss. The C drive thing fixed it for me.
No prob bob, thanks again for the suggestions. I will get back onto it after work, I am determined to figure this out. Will report back if I make any progress.

If anyone els has any other suggestions please let me/everyone know!
Old 01-07-2022, 04:01 AM
Large Rat

Spent all evening trying a bunch of things, no luck so far. I did notice something strange though, when EQ is running my gpu utilization is reading as 0%... is it possible EQ is running soley off the CPU? When I alt-o in game and bring up the advanced tab I can see my gpu listed there (RX-480). Any ideas?

This seems to be the only game that has this issue, I tested a few others and right away my gpu usage shoots up to 100%.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM
Large Rat

So after spending every evening for a week on this I somehow managed to *sort of* fix the issue. Not sure exactly what I did but the frame rate is now locked at a consistent 50 fps... Not ideal but much better than sporadic 25-40. It's weird, I was dropping down to 10-12 fps in the tunnel when it was busy but now my frame rate never drops below 50 even during peak times.

I did a few things before this happened and i'm not sure exactly which one was responsible because everything I did I had already tried a few times. I uninstalled and re-installed the latest recommended video drivers. I completely uninstalled EQ/P99 and did a fresh titanium install. I disabled all global AMD settings. I disabled all start up processes in the task manager incase there was something hogging resources in the background. I re-set my GPU on the mother board (incase it was loose or dusty etc.). Like I said I had already tried all this stuff and had no luck, it's possible I did it in some magic order that fixed the issue.

I have some spare PC parts in storage so i'm going to try and get my hands on a cheap Nvidia card and put together a dedicated P99 machine so I hopefully NEVER have to deal with this issue again. Could have level'd to 50 in the time I spent trouble shooting this.