Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 02:00 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default trying desperately to get in this game

I tried EQ when it 1st came out and I hated it. the mobs are so hard and the downtime
is so long. I love the lore and the character abilities and watch other people play and it looks so fun. I created a Halfling Druid and got myself to level 8 but I am still using the bronze hammer I bought when I first started. (Someone set me up with 10Plat when I started or I dont think I would have lasted this long.) I tried to create a Gnome Enchanter cause I thought with some Mana regen I would become more appealing.. I can kill anything, I dont know if I am just in the wrong place or what. Anybody got any advice to keep my interest?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

Switch to a druid, SK, Pally, or even necro as your first delve back in. Those classes are pretty forgiving for learning the ropes. Druids are fun because you can port and see the world. Root helps to give you some time to think and you also get SOW to outrun mobs if it hits the fan.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:10 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Switch to a druid, SK, Pally, or even necro as your first delve back in. Those classes are pretty forgiving for learning the ropes. Druids are fun because you can port and see the world. Root helps to give you some time to think and you also get SOW to outrun mobs if it hits the fan.
I am a druid
Old 01-06-2022, 03:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am a druid
Doh didnt read that, Maybe check out the guides on the wiki? The class gets better as you level.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:24 PM
Kobold

EQ is a slower paced game. If you're looking for flashy twitchier combat this probably isn't the game for you. The downtime and difficulty was not uncommon when EQ1 first came out so I'm not really sure what your reference point was unless you just didn't play mmos. The way to limit downtime is get in a well balanced group, soloing was supposed to be a byproduct of this game but was developed with grouping in mind.

I would say play a necro (though I'm not sure you're interested in dealing with the baggage that comes with being hated in most cities) as this is a class where you can solo with not a ton of downtime the earliest. (Others get there but that's after 100s of hours leveling and farming gear).

The games not for everyone if you need your quicker dopamine hits with less risk vs reward most mmos from 2004 on should game you that but that's not what EQ1 in this era is
Old 01-06-2022, 07:11 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Cam someone recommend a place I should go or how to find groups I can join?
Old 01-06-2022, 07:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cam someone recommend a place I should go or how to find groups I can join?
Enter @Loramin

Until then here are some helpful links:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

From this article - https://wiki.project1999.com/Druid_Guide_by_Geaus

8-13 You get Meditate at level 8, and things will get much easier. Though you will more than likely have to group for these levels, they are the stepping stones to a much easier solo life.

14-18 With both your first DOT and SoW in the same spell set, this may be your best level for spells in the whole game. Here you will be introduced to kiting, which usually ranks at least in the top 5 for reasons to become a Druid. If you want to hit a dungeon, Paw, Blackburrow and Crushbone are all good for this area.

19-23 Your first teleportation spells, a new heal and a new DD spell will make this an extremely welcome level. To start with, you will never have to get on a boat again, you heals become useful and you can do up to 122 damage or so. Kiting is still highly recommended at these levels. Clan Runnyeye, and Blackburrow are still fair game.

24-28 A good time to start moving up to higher level dungeons, such as Unrest, Permafrost and Solusek's Eye. And you knew it had to come eventually, its about time to give up kiting and start grouping. I have found that down times become too long, and the pay off not enough. Killing 3 blue mobs is more beneficial than 1 red. Also the ever cool Wolf Form =)

29-33 Dungeons you have been in before, and for the more daring out there, the first denizens of Lower Guk become a viable option. You will also get Combust and have a DD spell for 170 damage.

34-43 Time to start moving into the last of the high level dungeons. Mistmoore Castle, Lower Guk and Nagafen's Lair will be prime hunting spots. In addition, you get the first of the Regeneration line of spells, and a long awaited upgrade to Greater Wolf Form. A well deserved DD spell awaits you at 39, Fire Strike.

44-50 Some VERY powerful spells await you here, and they will serve you well in the Plane of Fear. Time to hunt down the most powerful equipment in the game, and tangle with dragons, and face the mighty Cazic Thule himself.

Additionally the best way to get a foothold is to hoof your way to East Commonlands and ask for buffs in the tunnel entrance, namely CLARITY from enchanters, kill trash around EC and then when your around 13-14, head 2 zones over to Oasis of Maar and get a croc group. Often times, going up to people in groups already and conning them to see if they are similar in level to you and just asking, "got room?" or "Can i join? I can help with heals, dps, etc"

On blue everyone is super twinked out already so almost anyone here can carry the group more often than not, plus a lot of people will genuinely help a new player (if they ask).
Old 01-06-2022, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

^ @OP

Player made information is the best nostalgic experience that P99 has to offer in regards to classic experience. Only, its compiled all in one searchable location, the thing robbed from you is searching it own on your own, often across obscure websites.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 01-06-2022, 08:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ @OP

Player made information is the best nostalgic experience that P99 has to offer in regards to classic experience. Only, its compiled all in one searchable location, the thing robbed from you is searching it own on your own, often across obscure websites.

Nergasm intensifies <3

Reminds me of all the DND maps Dungeon Masters use to have in binders all over graph paper and whatnot.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I tried EQ when it 1st came out and I hated it. the mobs are so hard and the downtime
is so long. I love the lore and the character abilities and watch other people play and it looks so fun. I created a Halfling Druid and got myself to level 8 but I am still using the bronze hammer I bought when I first started. (Someone set me up with 10Plat when I started or I dont think I would have lasted this long.) I tried to create a Gnome Enchanter cause I thought with some Mana regen I would become more appealing.. I can kill anything, I dont know if I am just in the wrong place or what. Anybody got any advice to keep my interest?
Ill help you out, but you got to switch classes. I think necro is a better option