Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Aviak

Default Solo Shaman Gear / method

I currently have a lvl 20 shaman and am using a GFG/SCHW.

I disease, poison, slow, frenzy and melee things to death.

I am not sure if this is the most efficient way to level though as I get hit pretty hard and I miss a lot. Should I sell me GFG and haste item for mana items and just root/rot? Not really sure what I should be doing to lvl the fastest solo.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Fire Giant

haste item and GFG + slow are better than root rotting until probably late or early 40s

as for a solo shaman if you are a race that can use it literally just save up for a jbb... if you can manage to get a jbb by the time you are 45 you are golden

slow + dog + jbb spam can get you to 60 its slow and tedious but the clicky dmg beats meditating for mana by a huge margin

think of it this way

jbb click is 8second cast for a 150mana spell - you would need to be meditating just under 150mana per tick (not possible) to compete with it
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 03-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman have three main styles:
  • Face Tank: They tank, probably slow (except at low levels when slow is terrible and not worth the mana), and deal melee, pet, and DoT damage
  • Pet Tank: Same as above except they root the mob and let their pet tank instead; in exchange for some mana and their melee damage they get to meditate, cannibalize, deal with other mobs, etc.
  • No Tank (Root Rot): Same as above except both melee and pet damage is lost; in exchange healing mana is saved, and possibly also slow mana, though at higher levels slow is often still used for safety on root breaks
Throughout your entire Shaman career you will be switching between these three styles, because there is no "right" one. The correct one for a given situation depends on factors such as:
  • your level: obviously it matters what spells you have at your disposal and whether you even have a pet
  • how hard the mob you're fighting hits: hard hitters should be root/rotted, weaker ones tanked
  • how much HP the mob has: mobs with lots of HP mean long fights, and in long fights the difference between how much damage you take and how much damage your pet takes becomes more noticeable, making pet tanking potentially worse for high HP mobs (or better I guess, if you're on a corpse run with no gear)
  • whether the mob casts: pet tanks generally work well against casters, as the pet keeps agro on itself, preventing the mob from casting on you ... but against wizards your pet might die too quickly; also most Shaman are large which means they can use Slam to interrupt casts, but only if they tank
  • whether the mob summons: root/rot isn't even an option on them

Other than that it's just minor variations like don't use long-duration DoTs on low HP mobs. Do a few quick test fights with/without Frenzy to see how much damage it really adds for the mana, and then only use it if it actually matters. That sort of thing.

Others can probably give better advice specific to your level, as it's been awhile since I was that level. FWIW I remember a whole lot of root/rotting with only occasional meleeing thrown in, even though I had a Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer for a lot of it (and this was pre-proc nerf so it was better then than it is now). But ultimately you just want to decide which style to use for the current mob based on ... the current mob.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Obligatory P.S. If you're looking for options for "the next mob" that are especially good for Shaman, check out the Per-Level Hunting Guide (link in my signature). There's a class filter at the top you can use to only show spots that are recommended for Shaman ... but many of the other spots are also great for Shaman too.

Oh and with regard to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4c3r [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should I sell me GFG and haste item for mana items
No. The order of value (in my not so humble opinion) of all Shaman purchase options are: Spells (including Torpor) > Epic > Fungi > JBB > Ikky BP > Decent Melee Weapon > Haste Item > More HP > More Mana. Maximum-adding gear is virtually worthless for leveling, as it does nothing to raise your DPS and just about nothing (in the scheme of things) to keep you alive.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Aviak

Ok, so I will keep the GFG and SCHW, but do you guys think I should be using frenzy when I melee or is it a waste of mana?
Old 03-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4c3r [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, so I will keep the GFG and SCHW, but do you guys think I should be using frenzy when I melee or is it a waste of mana?
Waste of mana

Just use slow and dots / regen / heals as needed
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 03-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Banned

Spells > Epic > Fungi > JBB

300k plat and you're good to go.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spells > Epic > Fungi > JBB

300k plat and you're good to go.
Underrated post. Most def sums up shaman life on p99
Closed Thread