Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you sound mad
Your deductive skills are impressive, padawan
Old 03-19-2019, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haven't played in a couple of years and I can't believe how much higher the pop is now. I seem to recall it maxing out at prime time at around 800 people or so. Why are there so many more people playing now...is there any consensus?
I don't know what happened either, but whatever reason the population surged within a relatively short period of time during this past winter. I certainly wasn't anticipating P1999 to be at all-time-high population levels at 9 years old.

--Rogues are the most group-friendly of the classes you list. They stack well in groups.
--Paladins do well in groups and are popular as group tanks, but they can have a harder time finding groups than Rogues since a group that has a tank seldom wants a second.
--Magicians and Necromancers are about even for groupability; they'll land groups but aren't necessarily sought after.

In other words the situation hasn't changed from what it was when you played before.

Danth
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Further add- Back then, I could have afforded a rogue epic, if I pooled all my chars plat. I refused, I was not going to spend all I had gathered on all my chars just for my stupid rogue. Nowadays, this would be maybe 20% of my total worth to MQ the rogue epic, but I still refuse, out of the principle, one should not have to acquire their epic just to play this stupid game. Glad to hear any comments to the contrary.
I would think the only time a rogue having epic would be 'expected' is 55+ group in places like Sebilis. But that is ample time to farm 30k for a MQ. Ultimately if you can't put the effort to get 30k by that point then that's on you not the group.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would think the only time a rogue having epic would be 'expected' is 55+ group in places like Sebilis. But that is ample time to farm 30k for a MQ. Ultimately if you can't put the effort to get 30k by that point then that's on you not the group.
You missed the earlier post, this was back when level 1 rogues could equip the epic. And when the p99 economy wasn't so saturated as it is now, I only had the 30kpp if I pooled all my chars' money. Also, the "gear shaming" was not that explicit, it was more an unsaid lack of glee at my piss poor backstabbing compared to when I was on as another class and epic rogues were in the group compared to when my gimp rogue was grouped - suddenly the dog needed to be let out to pee, or the wife aggroed, or other such nonsense excuses to leave a group.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Sarnak

I generally found that I wasn't gear shamed leveling up my Rogue, and as ALS I was very significantly behind the general server gear-wise up until my low 50's. Did fine in Mistmoore with Burning Rapier/Iksar Berserker Club. The damage output difference was noticeable vs. more geared characters, but people generally were not dicks about it.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, the "gear shaming" was not that explicit, it was more an unsaid lack of glee at my piss poor backstabbing compared to when I was on as another class and epic rogues were in the group compared to when my gimp rogue was grouped - suddenly the dog needed to be let out to pee, or the wife aggroed, or other such nonsense excuses to leave a group.
I know where you're coming from here but truthfully it sounds like it was mainly in your head. You may have let being self conscious about your dps (hehe) get you. It sounds funny but we all take at least a sliver of video game pride in our characters and not necessarily with how well geared you are but how well you can play your class, contribute to a group, or even just be fun to hang out with.

My Rogue was my first character on the server and it was a great experience however I do remember feeling almost guilty that I didn't have my epic a few times, especially when replacing a twink rogue with a Ragebringer at lvl 25 or whatever. People were super nice about it though honestly and even went out of their way to say nice things or let me know it was just fine and they would rather have me anyways (lol.)

Oh well man hopefully you're enjoying yourself whenever you get a chance to log in and play the game.
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:57 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know where you're coming from here but truthfully it sounds like it was mainly in your head. You may have let being self conscious about your dps (hehe) get you. It sounds funny but we all take at least a sliver of video game pride in our characters and not necessarily with how well geared you are but how well you can play your class, contribute to a group, or even just be fun to hang out with.

My Rogue was my first character on the server and it was a great experience however I do remember feeling almost guilty that I didn't have my epic a few times, especially when replacing a twink rogue with a Ragebringer at lvl 25 or whatever. People were super nice about it though honestly and even went out of their way to say nice things or let me know it was just fine and they would rather have me anyways (lol.)

Oh well man hopefully you're enjoying yourself whenever you get a chance to log in and play the game.
He is actually correct, that is the state of the game today. It was different 2016. Today starting upp and trying to get plat can be rough. The elitism is real. And not many are selling equipment new players can afford. I deleted my old characters and started a new one in january. I experienced similar things at times. There are some good people out there, and quite a few elitist asshats.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yes, I LOVE p99 and enjoy playing my cleric, warrior, shaman and other such characters immensely. This conversation has been helpful and maybe some day my level 36 rogue will make a comeback! To any one else considering making a rogue go for it and do not let my sour experience from a few years ago discourage you from doing so
Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Yes, I LOVE p99 and enjoy playing my cleric, warrior, shaman and other such characters immensely. This conversation has been helpful and maybe some day my level 36 rogue will make a comeback! To any one else considering making a rogue go for it and do not let my sour experience from a few years ago discourage you from doing so
My advice would be to look around and travel alot if leveling, since the game is a bit overpopulated at sertain levels. It can be hard to get a group in the popular areas. There is also the possiblity of friction between camps. Overal it will be a positive experience leveling up.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

Thank you much for all the thoughtful replies!
Closed Thread