Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Kobold

Default Level 55 thru 60 Shaman Spells

Are all of the level 55 thru 60 Shaman spells must have or are some not worth the plat because you rarely if ever use them? I have lots of earlier spells i have never loaded once!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Torpor or bust
Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Banned

https://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman#Level_55

Scroll down from there.

You decide.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 AM
Planar Protector

If you're leveling you can make do without many of them. Even after being 60 for a long time some of them don't see much or any use.

--The group buffs see very little use because a) few people want the same buffs, and b) even when they do they want the good versions, not the weaker group versions. That they're weaker than the single-target versions which don't cost regeants anyway (unlike the Cleric symbol line) severely damages the desirability of these group buff spells.

--Spirit Quickening seems junky. It doesn't seem to stack with regular haste. Keep an eye out in case this changes in the future, but right now it's easily ignored.

--I've never seen a need or use for Voice of the Berserker.

--Avatar gets used only in extreme rarity. The cost of emeralds is a nuisance, as is the long recast time and short duration. You can live without it. Primal Avatar requires a Sleeper's Tomb key to obtain. By the time a Shaman has it, many of the people he'd be casting it on will have primal weapons of their own, weakening its utility.

--The AE slow has a few very specific uses, but in general it doesn't get memorized often. It doesn't last as long as the regular slow, doesn't slow as much, and if some monsters resist you can't easily tell which ones. If you lack this spell you probably won't notice much.

--If you have Cannibalize 2 (some players quest/buy it, some don't) you can probably skip Canni3 and not mind too much. If you skipped Canni2, you probably want Canni3.

--In addition, you can live without the 55 pet (it's only a very slight upgrade over the 49 pet) and the two high-level damage-over-time spells (Pox and Bane; the 49 spells can serve, if need be). Likewise if you lack the top AC buff (Shroud of the Spirits) you can keep using the older one. All these spells are nice to have and WILL see a lot of use but they're luxuries, not strict necessities. The older versions of the same spells can continue getting the job done if necessary.

I'll consider it a given you'd have any of the vendor-bought spells if you want them, so nice spells like Chloroblast are a given. Of the spells you have to obtain as drops or purchase from players, you definitely want Canni4, Malo, Focus of Spirit, and Torpor. Those four are the most important in my experience, followed by the "luxury" spells listed above (the 55 pet, pox and bane, shroud, etc) that aren't strictly necessary but which are nonetheless nice to have and used often.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 03-15-2019 at 02:08 AM..
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Kobold

Thanks Danth! Thats what I was looking for.........
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Kobold

Danth pretty much said it all, however i will add my 2 pence on the order you acquire the (55-60) luxury dot spells.

Bane of Nife / Pox of Bertoxx: Shamans tend to struggle with dps, meaning some fights can take ages, while you torpor/canni and wait for dots to melt stuff. I would say get Bane of Nife to help with this, but not Pox (if trying to save plats). Bane works on poison resists, like Envenomed Bolt, so it's unlikely to be resisted after a malo. Whereas Pox involves switching a bunch of spell gems to debuff Disease resists (malo doesn't do disease). That can get tiresome to do on every mob, and a Pox resist kinda stings, losing such a large chunk of mana.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Kobold

Thanks Jacobi!

Eventually I want them all.......after Torpor.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
--In addition, you can live without the 55 pet (it's only a very slight upgrade over the 49 pet) and the two high-level damage-over-time spells (Pox and Bane; the 49 spells can serve, if need be). Likewise if you lack the top AC buff (Shroud of the Spirits) you can keep using the older one. All these spells are nice to have and WILL see a lot of use but they're luxuries, not strict necessities. The older versions of the same spells can continue getting the job done if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Danth pretty much said it all, however i will add my 2 pence on the order you acquire the (55-60) luxury dot spells.

Bane of Nife / Pox of Bertoxx: Shamans tend to struggle with dps, meaning some fights can take ages, while you torpor/canni and wait for dots to melt stuff. I would say get Bane of Nife to help with this, but not Pox (if trying to save plats). Bane works on poison resists, like Envenomed Bolt, so it's unlikely to be resisted after a malo. Whereas Pox involves switching a bunch of spell gems to debuff Disease resists (malo doesn't do disease). That can get tiresome to do on every mob, and a Pox resist kinda stings, losing such a large chunk of mana.
Jacobi hit the nail on the head here with "Shamans tend to struggle with dps", but I disagree with both him and the last bullet point in Danth's (otherwise awesome) list. While it's technically true that "All these spells are nice to have and WILL see a lot of use but they're luxuries, not strict necessities", that's a little misleading: you can level without them, but all three (your new pet spell and new DoTs) will directly impact your DPS/how fast you level, and that should make them extremely high on your list to acquire IMHO.

Also, I've never in my entire Shaman career used the disease debuff, but I've also never had problems landing Pox. Maybe Jacobi was doing some very disease-resistant mobs at that level?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-15-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Aviak

I debuff disease on cliff golems. Also, group stat buffs are nice for buffing lower level players, not much else.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Torpor/canni4 > malo > the rest. I would not spend any money on the other spells until you’ve set aside and saved enough for those 3. At times I’d love to have the group buffs (stamina in particular). I’m ashamed to say I don’t have bane or pox yet but my shaman is a part time gig at best.

Edit: 55 pet is actually a fairly large upgrade and well worth it. It’s max hit may only be one higher but it’s 3 levels higher which helps a lot defensively and offensively; a lot more than the hit numbers would suggest. Additionally it has 15% more hp. I always think of my pet as a good sustained dot, a potentiall offtank/emergency tank; and reclaimable emergency mana pool. On all 3 fronts it is noticeably better than 49 pet. On xp trash max buffed 55 pet is about 10dps sustained higher than 49 ... mostly due to being 3 levels higher. 25 extra sustained dps from a pet helps a lot over time; about the equivalent of a permanent 150/tick dot rolling on stuff you’re killing (vs 49 pet being a ~90/tick dot.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 03-15-2019 at 04:07 PM..
Closed Thread