Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 03:46 PM
Large Bat

Default 36 Monk - Priorities Question

Iksar Monk...

So when I got to 35, I decided to head back to Cabilis and train riposte. I also wanted to look around Kunark a bit for a place to solo (to make a few plat). The Hill Giant Evergreens were still dark blue to me and a lot of the Greenwoods were xp green... so I camped there a couple days...

From just over 35 to 3% over 36 - I made about 1120 plat. Leg-Choppers, Lord's Tunics, Giant Tunics, Gems, etc. Not too bad... I did kill better than 500 giants and never did see a Forest loop.

I have this question about my next priority move... I don't have great gear.. so I need to be careful that I spend appropriately.

Gonna list the gear I have

Ears - Orc Fangs x 2
Neck - Golden Pearl Black Choker
Face - Buynai Hide Mask
Head - Wu's Fighting Cap
Fingers - Platinum Fire Wedding Rings x2
Wrists - Tar Goo Strands x2
Sleeves - Azure Sleeves
Hands - SCHW (haste)
Shoulder - Wu's fighting Mantle
Chest - Wu's fighting shirt
Back - Burynai Hide Cloak
Belt - Thick Leather Apron
Legs - Wu's fighting pantaloons
Feet - Wu's fighting slippers

2HB- Staff of Battle (upgraded from Wu's recently)

1HB - Master Wu's Trance Stick
1HB - Cane of the Tranquil

With the 1120 I got, I am a not exactly sure where to go from here...

Should I save for an IFS (Imbued Fighters Staff) and upgrade my 2HB ?
Should I begin investing in Pantherskin pieces one at a time?
Should I start by replacing my weak spots in Armor (face, cloak, belt) ?
Should I swap out the SCHW with an FBSS (in lieu of using my fists) ?

What level will I start using fists? (Epic 50+)
Will an IFS take me to 60?

I think once I make an upgrade selection, I'll head to Frontier Mountain and check out the Mountain Giants (or look for OT groups). I am preferring the quieter camps in Kunark atm. However, once I am 40, I think I'll hit CoM...

Any help with Priorities would be appreciated!

-Vilefist
Monk of the 36th circle.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Kobold

1. FBSS
2. Stave of Shielding
3 J Boots
4. OT Hammer when you’re high enough
5. Fungi

Also go to Dalnir and get some Crescent armor. Sell the wu’s.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Why bother with the FBSS at this point? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you solo a lot a fungi could be useful. outside of fungi I think the only thing you will see significant improvement on would be better haste item or a weapon upgrade. might be best at this point to just start squirreling away as much plat as possible and buy a big ticket item down the road instead of splitting hairs with incredibly minor upgrades.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Kobold

I don’t disagree with you. I answered OPs specific question.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:18 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why bother with the FBSS at this point? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you solo a lot a fungi could be useful. outside of fungi I think the only thing you will see significant improvement on would be better haste item or a weapon upgrade. might be best at this point to just start squirreling away as much plat as possible and buy a big ticket item down the road instead of splitting hairs with incredibly minor upgrades.
I think this is the way I am going to go...

I'll save for a weapon upgrade or something big ticket...

Thanks for the advice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't worry about trying to swap your SCHW for a FBSS until you get close to having your epic.

Your gear is fine to take you to 50 if you are grouping. I would save for a Fungi, one or more Bag of the Tinkerers, OT hammer, and any epic MQs you may need. Maybe pick up other upgrades along the way if you happen to see them for a good price, but the more small stuff you buy the longer it takes to get your truly game changing items (basically fungi and epic.)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't worry about trying to swap your SCHW for a FBSS until you get close to having your epic.

Your gear is fine to take you to 50 if you are grouping. I would save for a Fungi, one or more Bag of the Tinkerers, OT hammer, and any epic MQs you may need. Maybe pick up other upgrades along the way if you happen to see them for a good price, but the more small stuff you buy the longer it takes to get your truly game changing items (basically fungi and epic.)
Thank you for taking the time to offer this advice...

I was tempted to buy into smaller items along the way... (especially maybe a PB or an IFS), but I think you are right. If I can get to 50 and put away as much coin as possible, I should focus on getting my epic, a fungi, and the eventually the preferred offhand) - and go from there afterwards... it's tough to have the discipline to not buy into minor upgrades. But advice like this helps me solidify the plan.

-V
Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

Don't think of money like putting it into a high interest account where accrueing it is good.

(Droppable) equipment is basically liquid plat that you can then re sell (usually at initial buy price) when needed, so don't feel required to just hoard pure plat in your bank. If you think you can use a 1k upgrade here or there, just get it and sell it when you're at like 40k for fungi money.

(Since you have haste, I'd suggest spending money on weapons like PB, IFS, jade mace, or SoS. I never recommend adamantite club cause jade mace is equivalent DPS for 1/5 the price)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Aviak

Bag of tinkers comes number 2, after haste. Staying under weight cap is more important than gear.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Alternatively, weight cap means nothing until 50+ since mobs don't hit hard enough for the AC diff to actually make a significant difference.

I solo'd my semi-twink (decent weaps / haste, no fungi) to 52 at like 35-50 weight the whole time and it was ez. Compared it a bit to when I offloaded all my backpacks of band aids at like 15 weight and came out of fights only like 2-3% more hp than when overloaded.
Closed Thread