Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Shammy - Barb vs Troll

Hi. I've been wanting to try out a Shaman for a long while. I have moderate experience with classic era EQ, by no means an expert. I was trying to debate between barb or troll for the race. I know troll has the awesome regen, but barb isn't hated by everyone. What did you guys pick, and why?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

I love my barb cus i wanted a barb. That said, a troll in full plate looks fucking awesome.. so if you go troll, please wear full plate.

Troll also gets a snare clicky, so its got that going for it, probably could do some fun kite with it while you level? meh.

It doesn't really matter between troll/barb IMO.. extra few hps a tick is meh. If after a full life bar you're like, "that 86 more HPS I got as a troll is the reason I won that fight!" then you got lucky & you're saying something you'll never say again.

You get dat planer gear and wear it like a bawse then you will be happy u picked troll, that said planer gear is hard to get.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But daym, that shit makes me wish I rolled troll sometimes.

*edit* you said barb isnt hated by everyone, yet buying spells/skillups at the GM is easier as a troll, becuse the only place you can do that as a barb is in bumfuk halas 360 miles away from everywhere.

Fun to go on RP trips to halas tho so, barbs got that going for it I guess.
Last edited by iruinedyourday; 09-22-2014 at 08:18 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

If you want to power-game things for when you someday hit 60, the hierarchy of shaman races is basically:
  1. Ogre (stun immunity is handy for soloing at high levels)
  2. Troll (regen is great, and they can use the JBB)
  3. Iksar (regen is great, but no JBB)
  4. Barbarian (no immunity, no regen)
But that being said, I picked a Barbarian myself and have no regrets because ...
  • XP Penalty: Barbarians have the lowest XP penalty. I'm only level 57 after playing for more than a year: if I'd gone evil I'd be even lower right now.
  • Jaundiced Bone Bracer: I use my JBB A LOT, and Iksar can't. 'nuff said.
  • Kunark Cities: Almost all of the good dungeons in Kunark lower your faction with The Overthere. If you're an Ogre/Troll you have to choose between avoiding those dungeons, being KOS in your only Kunark town, or doing a lot of faction work.
  • Old World Cities: This is less of a deal, but it's still nice to be able to sell/bank in Kaladim, Freeport, and various other places all over that evil races can't.
IMHO, the correct race for you is ... whatever seems the most fun. Seriously, this is a game, and none of the factors I just listed really matter that much. Just do what appeals to you.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Planar Protector

Do Barbarians still have that annoying graphical glitch where their shoes are black? Yeah go Troll.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do Barbarians still have that annoying graphical glitch where their shoes are black? Yeah go Troll.
the shoes thing yes, sigh.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I had a dream about my troll shaman last night. The signs are true.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

I have a barbarian and I regret it.

They are the best looking of the bunch, however, regen is an amazing ability and shouldn't be overstated.

Go troll and don't look back.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilmerg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had a dream about my troll shaman last night. The signs are true.
so it is written.

get dat plate armorz.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:02 AM
Sarnak

Don't know if that would make you swing your decision (and I don't know first hand if it's a good piece of kit or not) but barbs are the only one who can use http://wiki.project1999.com/Barbaria...ist%60s_Hammer
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab9521a00...4dqyo1_250.gif
Old 09-24-2014, 04:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't know if that would make you swing your decision (and I don't know first hand if it's a good piece of kit or not) but barbs are the only one who can use http://wiki.project1999.com/Barbaria...ist%60s_Hammer
woot - wish i knew about this at 30 doh! would be a fun gimmick
Closed Thread