Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:24 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Help please what class should I pick.

Hi all fairly new couple here in the world of p99 highest we’ve achieved is 20 cleric and 16 monk. Currently I am working on leveling lvl 5 rogue.

So I know my wife loved her monk and is keeping it as her main but I’m trying to figure out what I want for a main we don’t always have the same scheduled play times and sometimes only a little while to play either together or alone.

We both like melee, dps type. And would prefer not being a healer and not really fond of being a tank unless we have to.
we would like something we can group with others and with each other or solo with depending on the current situation playtime availability and needs of Real Life demands

So my question to you is where do classes align from best to worst on solo ability group ability survivability and lastly damage rankings.

Tanks
Melees
Casters
Healers

And after the poll of classes what race would be best to worst for different classes and where can we get some decent leveling gear for lowbies with no real income.

And lastly what is a good guild we could join not a hardcore raiding guild since we’re still just starting.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Fire Giant

If you both like melee dps then you won't be soloing much at all. Soloing on a melee takes gear which you won't have starting out. Even with really good gear melee are far behind casters for soloing.

Pick what you like but if you both melee don't expect to solo much
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxplay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you both like melee dps then you won't be soloing much at all. Soloing on a melee takes gear which you won't have starting out. Even with really good gear melee are far behind casters for soloing.

Pick what you like but if you both melee don't expect to solo much
I was doing a cr on a 24 monk and it could take on single low blue cons with ease naked. Even with just cloth tier armour and cheap wu 2 hander the mitigation and dps is great.
If you are willing to invest in and carry plenty of bandages, and to do the battle bandage technique, a so geared 24 monk can solo whites with a bit of luck.

That said, adding a bard or shaman for slow, heal, cc and haste is better than solo.

Most guilds are pretty open to casuals. Warm bodies welcome. In terms of melds that can solo, aren't tank, can dps: monk or ranger. Monk has the edge and stack well. I appreciate you may not want to double up.

Rogue not much of a soloer, sorry!

Shaman has a toetotoe solo style, so may give the illusion of dps when soloing, and feel a little more involved when duoing than a cleric.
Last edited by Jimjam; 02-22-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

So would you say two monks then? Or if I must go caster a mage or necro I’m told rangers aren’t really great and are very much the joke of the game ranger gate etc .... it’s really too bad you can’t truly play what you want with what you need. But I guess I’ll take one for the team if I must was trying to stay away from tanks and healers. I’m not sure if my hands can handle bard twisting lol that seems exhausting. But I’ve never played one so I don’t know their capabilities or difficulties
Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Kobold

2 monks is definitely viable as you will do a lot of dps and drop mobs fast, can both mend and bandage so in grp or solo and probably the best option.

I tend to like to pick a path less traveled though, seeing as you won't have a lot of gear to start and if you want to try something a little bit different but challenging and fun I would say do an SK.

I soloed easily to 20 with SK with really no gear, just had someone hand me a nathsar greatsword at around level 8 or so, server is pretty generous to newcomers and with a decent weapon SK has some good survivability, you will get invis and FD at higher levels but eventually need to group.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

2 monks is viable, and probably the cheapest melee toon to gear starting out, lots of weapon options.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Kobold

As Jimjam said, a Shaman will get you plenty of face time with mobs. Most SHM choose to melee until they get their first pet anyway, 29? 34? This would also leave you with one of the very best duos in the game at higher levels with SHM/MNK. Try a Shaman, its a very fun class and it doesn't feel like a one dimensional role like a Cleric, if that's your impression.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Kobold

To add, it'll be a rare occasion that an existing group is in the position to add two Monks at the same time. You'd be mostly starting your own groups, and starting with no group balance to compete for camps with groups that are usually formed with balance in mind. I'd not take that route, but if that feels right - do it.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Fire Giant

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxNation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This gets parroted around here but it's just not true.

Melee who find camps that they can sustain mobs with a fungi and get exp level way faster than a caster who has to wait for mana.

I know it's not relevent to the OP here but it's a myth that needs to be dispelled. Melee solo just fine, killing low dark blues or exp greens is great exp and very sustainable. With minimal downtime.
Maybe at lower levels or up to 50. In the 50s this is a fantasy... Yes they can kill something and get exp but it's so inefficient they are better off getting a group or duo... Where as it's the opposite for some casters.. groups get literally less exp than some casters can make solo

Your delusional if you think killing a dark blue and Regen / bind wound back up comes close to exp rates at higher levels of casters. Being able to kill a dark blue is completely different than getting good exp doing so
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Fire Giant

OP something to consider

If you pick double monks you don't have to worry about over leveling your wife or her out leveling you depending on If one of you plays more

If one gets too many levels ahead they can power level the other monk by beating mobs up and feign death when the mob is a few hits away from death for the lower level monk to finish off

It works really well.. something to consider
Closed Thread