Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 03:35 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default young fella wish to enter the mmo world the hard way.

Hello (english is not my native language so i apologize if i make some weird mistakes)

So i guess i'm pretty young compared to most of the project 1999 players, i'm 24. I've been a pc gamer since i was 11 or 12 with games like diablo 2, some str games, and lots of solo rpg games (skyrim, mount and blade), but i have almost never experienced an mmo. Nontheless i like to keep contact with the mmo world through videos and forums, because it has always been mysterious and fascinating to me.

Recently i have enjoyed watching and hearing about "old school" mmos, and i heard about everquest, p99 and the coming "messiah" pantheon.

I know it can be difficult to imagine that someone who never played EQ (and never played any mmo ! ) can be tempted to try it without the nostalgia. but i really want to give it a try since i have some spare time (and also a potato computer that won't run recent games). I also heard about the release of the green server and thought it was now or never.

My goal is primarly to get a good "social experience", meet people and try the "raw" experience that p99 offers. I know it's not gonna hold my hand, and i don't mind the graphics and the slow pace.

I'm really interested to know if some people have tried p99 with a similar aproach, and i will gladly take advice from the veteran players.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:09 AM
Sarnak

Just jump in. That's how we all got started. Expect things to go very slowly. The game is brutal, yet can be very rewarding.

And let's be clear. Many of us don't expect Pantheon as the next "messiah". It will likely be botched. It's tough to create a new game that's intended to play like classic Everquest. I dont believe most gamers want this. We are a small community of a few thousand nostalgic nerds. There are millions in the market that wouldn't be tapped in to. Creating a new game in 2020 to play like a game in 1999 would have to be a passion project. There couldn't be any business minded people involved at all.
Last edited by Meiva; 10-31-2019 at 04:11 AM..
Old 10-31-2019, 04:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFondeur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and i will gladly take advice from the veteran players.
Da first step into EQ.....is this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9hIEbnijw
Old 10-31-2019, 05:11 AM
Banned

Default Niche device, niche market and no mass appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are millions in the market that wouldn't be tapped in to. Creating a new game in 2020 to play like a game in 1999 would have to be a passion project. There couldn't be any business minded people involved at all.
So in other words PC gaming from 20 years ago.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There couldn't be any business minded people involved at all.
I don't think this is completely true. I think the industry has been "You think you do but you don't"ing themselves over the past decade or so.

There are so many games that have come out and have become very popular that are essentially the "EverQuest remake" of their genre.

Look at the resurgence of roguelike games and indies that use design principles of older games. Stuff like permadeath modes have become very common.

Look at the rise of Minecraft and other types of survival games. Alpha Minecraft gave me big EverQuest vibes from the exploration and how brutal the game could be, especially during nights.

And look at Dark Souls, which threw a bunch of NES-era unforgiving game mechanics into an action RPG.

Those games aren't popular in spite of these "unwanted" game features; players make a deep connection with these games because of these features.

And what's been the most successful MMO launch in quite some times? Classic WoW. Runescape is also still one of the biggest MMOs on the market, and even the P99 Green launch was quite impressive. I've met at least a couple people who told me that they're playing EverQuest for the first time.

We're told that gamers today want a streamlined product with minimal frustration and instant gratification. But that doesn't seem to be the case when we look at games that actually become big and influential. The instant gratification games are probably also the most easily profitable types of games, but MMORPGs are probably the last genre that you want to design in a low-effort predatory type of way. Unless you're WoW and you've already developed a base of millions of fans without that stuff first.

So no, I think the next big MMO will have to incorporate elements from classic MMOs. Whether or not that will be Pantheon I have no idea.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Expect things to go very slowly. The game is brutal, yet can be very rewarding.
A lot of truth in that. Damn is it a grind, but when you look back on a session/a week/a month and see how far you've come... the reward is there <3
Old 10-31-2019, 07:03 AM
Planar Protector

minecraft is just single player everquest vanilla.

It's all resource gathering, crafting your own armour, finding safe spots and being terrified of the dark.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:16 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Da first step into EQ.....is this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9hIEbnijw
I still remember watching this after I installed the game for the first time back in 99. Love it.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 AM
Banned

Speaking of classic games, 3DRealms recently did that with Ion Maiden. A 2019 game made with a 90's build engine. Maybe because it didn't take so much money and a huge team to make games. So now they have a new addition to the build engine games alongside Duke Nukem 3d, Shadow Warrior and BLOOD which is still the pinnacle.
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-31-2019 at 07:27 AM..
Old 10-31-2019, 07:47 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Even if you don't build your hopes on pantheon, I see that the possible rise of a "new" generation of mmo is an important topic for the community.
And when i say new, i mean a global approach of the genre that would be different, like if the mmos after EQ had taken a different path, building upon the things players love in EQ while still innovating and exploring different possibilities.

I'm still very new to this, and it is conforting to see that you good people are ready to discuss in a really constructive way.
So i'll jump into this adventure and hope to meet many great people !
Closed Thread