Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Sarnak

Default Ranger or Shadowknight

So I'm ready to make another alt. I'm a fan of melee but also want to use magic and have decided on these two classes. I already have a 20 Dark elf sk that has a Ring of the Dead, so I'm very tempted to level him up. I'm just not sure if I want to tank.
Ranger sounds fun from all their utility but near end game I'm worried about grouping and not sure how well they do soloing 50+. At least a sk can fear kite.
I have a fungi, rbg and other decent gear. I'm just lacking weapons and need to decide what to buy.

So what I'm asking is your input or persuasion to help my decision.
Last edited by Kadron; 04-16-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Cuttlefish and asparagus or the vanilla paste?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 04-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

If you don't have a group of friends and you're going to be relying on pickup groups for your ranger, you may encounter difficulty reliably finding groups for him.

At some point in Velious, a ranger can fear kite animals quite well and solo to 60.

Also, I wouldn't be too hasty to conclude that simply because a shadowknight can solo 50+ mobs, they can realistically grind out that exp as a way to level. You have a 40% xp penalty as a dark elf, you kill slowly, and your location options are limited. The amount of time it takes to accumulate significant amounts of solo xp on a 54+ SK is mind-boggling.

I have played both these classes 50+. Think about which one you might enjoy more at 60, when you are done leveling. From a practical outlook, monks outshine both these classes at everything. Which playstyle is more fun for you? I liked rangers because the class gave me a lot to do without necessarily having a lot of responsibility. It was a nice break from playing my shaman and buffing everyone, and I was an exceptional outdoor puller.

Being a shadowknight became quite frustrating to me after 54 or so because of how good monks are. They can do 3x your dps, mitigate roughly as well as you, provide adequate agro for any group content, and pull. Even a ranger will outperform you as a tank in a low-moderate damage situation with slowers/clerics around, simply because they provide the same agro as you plus considerably more DPS.
Last edited by Lune; 04-15-2014 at 05:12 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Sarnak

I just want to make sure I can solo of I can't get groups. I have a 56 rogue and when I can't get groups I'm screwed.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Aviak

While on the subject of Shadow Knights, here's a question I've always had:

Is Fear Kiting as amazing as my mind makes it out to be?

I main a Warrior. People always say Shadow Knights can solo decently, Fear kiting. As a Warrior, Fear kiting seems like an AMAZING way to solo. What is the downside to it? To me, the statement should be "Shadow Knights can solo everything without losing any HP because of Fear Kiting making them Gods." What gives?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I main a Warrior. People always say Shadow Knights can solo decently, Fear kiting. As a Warrior, Fear kiting seems like an AMAZING way to solo. What is the downside to it? To me, the statement should be "Shadow Knights can solo everything without losing any HP because of Fear Kiting making them Gods." What gives?
this thing we like to call mana
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Planar Protector

A ranger is like having an erection in a doorless, windowless room. Fun for you, but no one else gives a shit about what you can do.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to xnolanx Send a message via Yahoo to xnolanx

Yendor, yet again... mah *****.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A ranger is like having an erection in a doorless, windowless room. Fun for you, but no one else gives a shit about what you can do.
That was actually amusing and sadly accurate
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's not amazing. It simply means you CAN solo--slowly--where a Warrior would be sitting on his duff doing nothing.

Danth
Closed Thread