Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There will always be bad guys being disruptive under all rulesets.
This gets back to my original point. You're right that there will always be players who fall under the "Killer" archetype, ie. people that want to play a certain way. But the game decides how those players get to realize those urges.

A good/team-based PvP approach channels such players: they become a part of the game for players on the opposing team to overcome. Also, typically such games ensure a baseline level of fairness: a level 60 in WoW can't show up at the level 1 zones and start killing at will, because the game prevents it.

Without that though, in a free for all system, the natural playstyle such "Killer" players will gravitate towards is "griefing" ... which is no fun for anyone but the griefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks Loramin, I appreciate the honest reply. I'm also surprised that it's all physically hosted, a rarity these days!
Yeah Rogean is "old school" in many ways, not just when it comes to EQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Seriously though, I get the impression he already has a cage in a datacenter for non-P99 reasons (eg. his real business). If said cage happens to have room for a few P99 servers, that's very likely the most cost efficient way to run this place (better than even AWS I'd imagine).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-24-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Old 09-24-2019, 07:34 PM
Aviak

I've said for a long time now that this is all it would take to get me playing again and now here I am. I'm excited to get my roommates playing for the first time. I'll have to get them to make accounts and apply for IP exemption well in advance so we can be ready to go on day 1
Old 09-24-2019, 07:49 PM
Aviak

I'll do my best to get them to make accounts tonight. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 09-24-2019, 07:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll do my best to get them to make accounts tonight. Thanks for letting me know!
Heh, I deleted my post because I was afraid it sounded pedantic and not useful, but I guess you saw it before I did and it was useful [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Good luck!

P.S. The missing post just recommended getting the IP exemption ASAP.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Deleveled twinks ganking true noobs in low level zones is just pathetic
Which is PRECISELY why Red99 became Dead99. Everytime I've tried to play there (have a Cleric in his mid-30s) our playtime was ruined by de-leveled mega-twink griefers. We're talking level 35 iksar monks in FULL NTOV gear griefing people wearing cloth and leather.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did enjoy Warhammer: Age of Reckoning quite a lot and I understand what you mean.

However, as the other poster said, EQ PvP, team or not, is often zone line ganking or killing someone camping something, etc. It is not only the team or no team, but the very design of the game that doesn't make for a very healthy PvP in my opinion.

And I like the vibe of an EQ PvP server believe me (we had fun with Shrub for a tiny bit on that Rallos Zek server eh! Hi Shrub /o/) - but I always feel that in the end the game wasn't meant for this.

That being said, I have like 7 toons on Red, and if there is a new PvP server on Project 1999 I will probably play as well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played PVP-teams back on Live and I can say that it also has alot to do with both the game being so gear-dependent as well as being purely non-instanced. At MOST you have two "top-tier" guilds battling it out over the best raid mobs/gear who in turn go and use that gear to grief the far lesser-geared players.

Ultimately one of those two guilds ends up winning out gaining a monopoly on all the best items and locking anyone else out from competing w/ them in PVP.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yay, can't wait !
Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 PM
Skeleton

Default Will we need a clean install of titanium or will an overwrite of a copy work?

I searched this thread and the forum in general and didn't see anyone pose this question.

Will we need a fresh install or can we copy and overwrite?
I would suspect we could copy our existing install and overwrite with the green server initial files. I have copied my original install across Mac and Windows systems with whatever patch we were on without issue. Any guidance in advance would be great.

OT: I can't wait and taking the day off. I started on live in Dec 99, moved to EQMac on Al'Kabor in '03 on and off till they pulled the plug in ~'13. Found a new home here but missed the launch.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

We benefitted greatly from the alkabor influx in 2013 and are happy to have guys from that server while being sad that it was closed out. It was a cool Frozen in time part of classic eq.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saboteur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I searched this thread and the forum in general and didn't see anyone pose this question.

Will we need a fresh install or can we copy and overwrite?
I would suspect we could copy our existing install and overwrite with the green server initial files. I have copied my original install across Mac and Windows systems with whatever patch we were on without issue. Any guidance in advance would be great.

OT: I can't wait and taking the day off. I started on live in Dec 99, moved to EQMac on Al'Kabor in '03 on and off till they pulled the plug in ~'13. Found a new home here but missed the launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do not need two separate folders. Our era system is built into the client files when necessary. For example, the spells file contains multiple versions of the same spell. When the client logs into the server, the DLL receives information from the server on which era should be applied, and the DLL then loads the correct spells for that era.

Closed Thread