Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seriously though, your story is an example of exactly what I'm talking about. In every MMOG with PvP that came after the first two Zeks the PvP aspect was always team-based. DaoC, SW:G, WoW ... heck even Sullon Zek. Or if it wasn't team-based it heavily encouraged the players to organize themselves in to teams and put heavy restrictions on who can PvP who and where (eg. EVE). A free for all "let everyone kill everyone" server just isn't fun for anyone except those at the top, which completely explains where the "antis" came from.

I saw this great article (here's wikipedia's summary of it) where some guy broke down MMOGs in to four groups of players, one of which was griefers (I think he called them "killers"). His point was that when you design your game you have to accept that you will have griefers, but you have to design things so they can have their fun without ruining the fun of everyone else. Red-style servers only give those folks the "at the expense of everyone else" ways of having fun (vs. team-oriented servers that let griefers and non-griefers have fun together), so naturally they have their fun and drive everyone else away.

Honestly given the failure of everything that came before it I'm surprised Red lasted as long as it did.
Interesting... is there any history or explanation as to why P99 did ffa vs teams PVP? That server seems to be struggling.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seriously though, your story is an example of exactly what I'm talking about. In every MMOG with PvP that came after the first two Zeks the PvP aspect was always team-based. DaoC, SW:G, WoW ... heck even Sullon Zek. Or if it wasn't team-based it heavily encouraged the players to organize themselves in to teams and put heavy restrictions on who can PvP who and where (eg. EVE). A free for all "let everyone kill everyone" server just isn't fun for anyone except those at the top, which completely explains where the "antis" came from.

I saw this great article (here's wikipedia's summary of it) where some guy broke down MMOGs in to four groups of players, one of which was griefers (I think he called them "killers"). His point was that when you design your game you have to accept that you will have griefers, but you have to design things so they can have their fun without ruining the fun of everyone else. Red-style servers only give those folks the "at the expense of everyone else" ways of having fun (vs. team-oriented servers that let griefers and non-griefers have fun together), so naturally they have their fun and drive everyone else away.

Honestly given the failure of everything that came before it I'm surprised Red lasted as long as it did.
That's sort of interesting, but not something totally new to me.

This Bartles Taxonomy is simply taking a Myers Briggs Type Indicator test and simplifying it greatly then twisting it with a MMO motif.

Still interesting though, because I always find personality type tests fascinating.

I'd definitely fall under the "killer" persona, as I greatly prefer fighting players over mobs and have always gravitated to PVP games. I honestly just enjoy competitive gameplay between players for the unscripted type battles you can have when doing PVP.

I see how others fall into the other categories though, like the socializers. There's always that guy that doesn't really level much, doesn't really do a lot in the game but just chats and talks to people. Sinstar/Wohse/Locos is like this, one that comes to mind. He seems to just log in to chat in /ooc.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Sarnak

Then:
Bibs
PGT
FBSS

Now:
Blackened Iron Bastard Sword
Polished Granite Tomahawk
FBSS
Old 05-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Planar Protector

Sorry, ~la
Old 05-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What did we use to say back before 2002 and don't, anymore? Or what terms have been newly coined?

I'll start with a few I can think of:

Now: box
Then: hydra

Now: BiS
Then: -

Now: -
Then: uber

Now: C
Then: crack, clarity

Now: TL, xloc
Then: punt

Now: flop
Then: FD

Now: pixels
Then: loot, phat lewt
hydra for box: wtf?
punt: xloc/tl? it's always just been port
fd/flop has always been used

i'll give you pixels but the rest you stretchin it m8
Old 05-03-2017, 04:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtMystium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hydra for box: wtf?
punt: xloc/tl? it's always just been port
fd/flop has always been used

i'll give you pixels but the rest you stretchin it m8

I'm talking pre-2002. I dont think I ever heard anyone referring to playing multiple characters at once as "boxing" these days. On the other hand, "hydra" was the term, I have pretty vivid memories of it. At least on the Saryrn and AB servers I played on.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:39 AM
Sarnak

Now: EC
Then: gbay

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 AM
Aviak

i never heard the term box til wow only heard of multi boxing as hdyra bcz one person many charcters like the hydra more then 1 head. Maybe was eclsuive to saryrn and stromm server but there was alot of hydras on saryn
Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by articnv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i never heard the term box til wow only heard of multi boxing as hdyra bcz one person many charcters like the hydra more then 1 head. Maybe was eclsuive to saryrn and stromm server but there was alot of hydras on saryn
I can't even imagine... back when Velious came out that thing destroyed my computer. It was cranking like a big rig running their engine brakes. 2 boxing would have been unheard of. But I'm sure there were some college dropouts that blew their tuition on some gaming rig to do it big.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 05-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, ~la
I was just about to post something about this ar~
Closed Thread