Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My main on live was a ranger, and nothing made me hate sony more than assling rangers.
It was a sign of impending doom.
eadric more like ... wrong...dric. Wrongdric. You're wrong.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
eadric more like ... wrong...dric. Wrongdric. You're wrong.
I am occasionally wrongdric, but in this case, I am veritably rightdric. Assling rangers are the devil's spawn.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 AM
Planar Protector

My next project will be the level 1 ranger I created 2 years ago.

They’re fun as hell to play. Globally powerful and versatile class but they do lack the umph to make them competitive in a raw dps role. Outside of BFG and a trushot burn they are simply going to find themselves keeping up on a raid burn.

My fully buffed 53 necro pet puts out about the same amount of sustained dps as a well geared and played ranger in the mid 50s. But ... my pet can’t harmony pull, buff, assist with heals etc. As a ranger to really pull your weight you have to have to know your toolkit and do all those extra things that help the group but can easily go unnoticed.

Much like a well played bard or necromancer, rangers are a WD-40 class. They can make the whole group function more smoothly.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 03-23-2018, 02:05 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am occasionally wrongdric, but in this case, I am veritably rightdric. Assling rangers are the devil's spawn.
talk about a mark of pride. the devil owns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Much like a well played bard or necromancer, rangers are a WD-40 class. They can make the whole group function more smoothly.

That's not how WD-40 works.
Last edited by Bummey; 03-23-2018 at 02:08 AM..
Old 03-23-2018, 02:31 AM
Sarnak

You're right, it makes groups less squeaky.

But seriously, play a ranger, I've worked Tywyll up to 57 so far and don't regret it at all, I contribute quite a bit of DPS and utility on raids, and you ought to see a group of rangers take on boss mobs with trueshot. Very useful class.

Do it, have fun.

Auld Lang Syne Discord - click here to join
Please read our charter and post in #new_applicants
Old 03-23-2018, 03:40 AM
Fire Giant

+1 for making a ranger. They have a solid toolbox of spells (harmony, regen, hp, atk, ds, heals) and actually do decent damage unlike most Paladins and SKs. While they don't do it better than other classes, they can fill the role of dps, puller or tank (somewhat gear dependent) in groups. At 60 with the right gear (epics and clicky haste from sky) they're actually really impressive compared to melees at certain tasks. I was using one to farm a particular camp recently and he did it almost as well as my drastically better geared monk due to the aforementioned spells.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:39 AM
Fire Giant

if u want fun, solo/groupings, then yes - super fun with lots of utility spells
if u want to be the main focus/contributor in raids, then no
Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I could not agree more. Halfling 'Rangers' are an abomination. I would devote my life to hanging out near rivervale and killing every such 'ranger' that I can find, over and over again.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Sarnak

If you don't enjoy having fun then you shouldn't play a ranger.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Fire Giant

since the request is "tell you why you shouldn't"

it's too similar to druid / bard. it's not good unless pretty twinked. if you want a melee DPS be a rogue, if you want a solo melee dps be a monk, if you want a tank melee dps be a warrior.

are rangers cool for things like sow?! Sort of, unless you get jboots or a sow pot or sow sword, or a level 9 shaman around.

Are rangers cool for harmony?! Sort of, unless you're indoors. But what about getting by sontalak or woushi!? okay super cool you can let a friend in but factioned chars can run past, rogues can sneak past, other chars can DA or FD past and a level 5 druid could cast harmo on them as well.

are rangers cool for having bows!? umm yea but your coolest ranged weapon BFG is removed from game and you prob aint getting it if you're level 1 today

are rangers cool for having track!? yeah! which is why many guilds have naked high level rangers sitting in zones that never do anything in game other than hit track and repeat then log off. in game it can help you with what quillmane (bards do it better) or named cycle in trak's teeth? (bards arguably do it better).

okay okay enough hate, that was trying to answer your question. in reality i would love to make a ranger one day for tracking. i think they're easy to twink and with a fungi and couple 5k weapons you can solo to level 60. Also ranger buffs are helpful Call of the Predator and Strength of Nature can increase all melee's DPS and in some guilds there's not always a ranger around to buff everyone.