Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Orc

Default Legit Red Question

Greetings!

I never really played on a pvp server on live back in the day other than a few days with my brother, but I would hardly count making it to level 15 or so as "playing".

My question though, stems from something else, as my lack of experience on pvp servers is about to show through.

I wanted to start on Project99 when it launched but was unable to do so and I initially started about 8 months before Kunark launched, having missed out on opportunities like Manastones and DE Masks, etc.

With Red opening "fresh", I will have the opportunities to do so, but I also want to play a Cleric this time around.

My question though, is it worth it? Would it be worth playing a Cleric and achieving these goals on such a server before the items vanish? Or would I be ganked repeatedly and never achieve my goals? Is there some kind of "Don't kill the Cleric, because he won't ever rez you" stigma?

I am not opposed to pvp, but we all know EQ pvp isn't exactly balanced. With that in mind, I have no qualms with dieing, but I do just want to pve for the most part and obtain the items that I never got to get from ages past.

Thank you for your useful input!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Sarnak

I think a lot of people would love to have a Cleric following them around honestly.

Oh and you will get ganked no matter what class you are but you have a level 1 blind spell. Use it to run away.
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Sarnak

Clerics are pretty great. Later levels you might notice its harder to kill people due to MR based nukes, but your heals are the best so some classes have a really tough time taking you down. Also any group will want a cleric.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Fire Giant

With their heals, DA/DB, blind, root/gate clerics are one of the hardest classes to kill I think.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Know your role (it isn't getting all the kill shots) and you will appreciate it. You only get better with more resist gear. A non-boxed cleric is supremely useful, and I imagine there won't be many clerics.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Sarnak

Assuming MR is working half as intended, and with noone running around with any real MR, Clerics should be able to wreak havoc in solo pvp with no issues. Add to that your survivability and laughing off 1vs1 nukes... Divine Aura for the suckers who will blow a third of their mana into it... you should have a great time IMO.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk883 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Assuming MR is working half as intended, and with noone running around with any real MR, Clerics should be able to wreak havoc in solo pvp with no issues. Add to that your survivability and laughing off 1vs1 nukes... Divine Aura for the suckers who will blow a third of their mana into it... you should have a great time IMO.
Cleric is my first love and I'll most likely play as my main when Red 99 goes live.
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Fire Giant

I leveled up a cleric up to 50 on Rallos Zek during classic. It wasn't bad at all, just don't expect to master be PK guy for obvious reasons. Clerics are always in demand even on PvP servers, you will probably be more likely to get a DE mask going with a cleric because you will get groups easily, especially in Lguk. Plus you will have Invis versus undead which rules in Lguk.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crenshinabon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clerics are pretty great. Later levels you might notice its harder to kill people due to MR based nukes, but your heals are the best so some classes have a really tough time taking you down. Also any group will want a cleric.
Yup. At higher levels its just "ok spend your mana. You done? OK cheal now what you wanna do? Run? OK well I can't really kill you so fuck off."
Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Orc

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

I am curious though, being "red", will heals act differently than on "blue"? In this regard, I mean, will heals not work on players not in my group or something to that affect? Or can I cast anything on anyone at any time?

Next question I have is, are there any predictions as to how cutthroat the server will be? Will I be going back to my corpse so often that i'll just log off, or will people actually be willing to group and be somewhat cohesive and productive? As I said before, I have no qualms with pvp and always being on the alert, but I do have plans to make friends and do stuff, if possible.

P.S. I plan on making a list of everyone who kills me, therefore negating any plans to ever resurrect them.... ever.
Closed Thread