Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:10 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default MMOs: Past, Present, and Future

Hey folks,

Well the description for Server Chat is "General discussion related to Project 1999 and classic Everquest", so I figured it'd try to spur some discussion regarding a video I just made about MMOs and the genre itself. I mention Project 1999 / EverQuest pretty extensively and would love feedback and discussion regarding where the soul of particular style of game is heading.

https://youtu.be/5B_SvqtcUfQ
Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Hey, even Brad McQuaid stopped by to leave a comment!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Planar Protector

I enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing!

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 11-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Kobold

My belief is that both Camelot unchained and Crowfall have already failed by being PvP focused MMOs. Not that I personally have anything against PvP but it just never works well for MMOs.

As for Pantheon, it's basically project 99 with a subscription fee. Look at the population here. Now imagine what it would be if they started charging a subscription fee. Yeah, that's the kind of population Pantheon can look forward to. Maybe not right away but after the honeymoon period is over.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Nice video thanks for posting it here. I hope pantheon is a successful and fun game. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can already tell by how they're prioritizing the most ridiculous and unimportant things that socialites and members of their forums are asking for such as to ensure there's a female version of all races
Wait, so you think the way for Pantheon to succeed is to exclude half their possible player-base? I mean admittedly there are more male gamers than females, but then a good chunk of male gamers like female avatars, so half seems about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The other nail in the coffin will be itemization ... you'll get things like "Stack of Minor Illusion Flasks"
Wait, you think the "other nail" in Pantheon's coffin is that they have illusion potions, ie. completely meaningless flavor items, ie. the exact same thing as illusion masks on EverQuest, only not permanent? That is what you think will doom Pantheon?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait, so you think the way for Pantheon to succeed is to exclude half their possible player-base? I mean admittedly there are more male gamers than females, but then a good chunk of male gamers like female avatars, so half seems about right.

Wait, you think the "other nail" in Pantheon's coffin is that they have illusion potions, ie. completely meaningless flavor items, ie. the exact same thing as illusion masks on EverQuest, only not permanent? That is what you think will doom Pantheon?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Will the sequel be Fall of the Risen?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Planar Protector

Feel of the Raisin?
Old 12-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My belief is that both Camelot unchained and Crowfall have already failed by being PvP focused MMOs. Not that I personally have anything against PvP but it just never works well for MMOs.

As for Pantheon, it's basically project 99 with a subscription fee. Look at the population here. Now imagine what it would be if they started charging a subscription fee. Yeah, that's the kind of population Pantheon can look forward to. Maybe not right away but after the honeymoon period is over.
I think pvp mmo's can work if they are implemented like EVE does theirs. Otherwise, I agree that it will just die.
Closed Thread