Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Large Bat

Lightbulb Brand Splanking New

As I wait for my IP Exemption, I figure I would post in the forums.

I am a brand new Everquest player. My husband has been playing since the game came out, when I was just a mere 10 years old and couldn't convince my parents to buy me Everquest.

His mother has been playing Everquest just as long, and claims to be a legendary Enchanter.

Then there's me. My first MMO was World of Warcraft, that I got to play on my big brother's account when he wasn't logged in. I have been playing all sorts of video games since I was 5 years old!

I want to play with my husband on this (he went through the painstaking objective of installing it on my upper echelon gaming PC when I was at work) because I see the passion and nostalgic flare in his eyes.

I plan to make a Gnome Cleric (my husband managed to shut me down on playing an Ogre Shaman, even though I am still sad about it, because an ugly race like that just doesn't exist in these prettied up MMOs anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any tips and tricks I need to know right away? Any fun, simple ways that I can secretly "grief" my husband when I first start playing?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Kobold

Thats a downright heartwarming story xD

Sadly I have no ideas about how to troll your husband. Or ogre him, or even gnome him.

But pre-emptive welcome to you, I hope you enjoy yourself! ...also sometimes the worst of the community are vocal on the forums, but I don't see that in game nearly as much myself. So don't be disheartened by the occasional terrible posts like "My theory about why feminism is irrelevant now" .. the nice people are in game in higher numbers than here on the forums.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Sarnak

Welcome!

Troll your husband by putting all your starting points into charisma!
Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Fire Giant

Yes, play that ogre shaman that he denied you.
Quite easy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkrangerash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As I wait for my IP Exemption, I figure I would post in the forums.

I am a brand new Everquest player. My husband has been playing since the game came out, when I was just a mere 10 years old and couldn't convince my parents to buy me Everquest.

His mother has been playing Everquest just as long, and claims to be a legendary Enchanter.

Then there's me. My first MMO was World of Warcraft, that I got to play on my big brother's account when he wasn't logged in. I have been playing all sorts of video games since I was 5 years old!

I want to play with my husband on this (he went through the painstaking objective of installing it on my upper echelon gaming PC when I was at work) because I see the passion and nostalgic flare in his eyes.

I plan to make a Gnome Cleric (my husband managed to shut me down on playing an Ogre Shaman, even though I am still sad about it, because an ugly race like that just doesn't exist in these prettied up MMOs anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any tips and tricks I need to know right away? Any fun, simple ways that I can secretly "grief" my husband when I first start playing?
He may already be aware, but as a truly new player some things I recommend doing are updating a few settings to get started.

When you get into the game, the UI is fully movable like windows on your computer, most importantly though is this big "EQ" button. You can click that to get a menu and select Options.

In here, in one of the tabs, there is a "Max FPS" slider--set this to 60, the game is old and wonky and long story short the game just feels super weird if this isn't set to 60 (your mouse steering is heinously slow, for instance).

Past that, there are various chat settings you can enable in that options menu to show certain things--personally I enjoy seeing my own misses and misses at me so that I know about how often something attacks.

On the main page of the Options menu, there's a Load UI button, I highly recommend either DuxaUI or VertUI, as they're much more modern and helpful than the Titanium UI.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Banned

Play Ogre Shaman
Old 04-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Sarnak

If you want ugly, consider a female troll character... my enchanter switches into troll form when a groupmate decides to be overly flirty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

A female Dwarf is one of the ugliest characters available and they can be Clerics! No better way to grief him than make him stare at one of those any time he's playing with you. Also I talked to your husband a few weeks back, I was going to help him out with a couple random starter pieces but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Anyways Welcome and hope you guys have a blast
Old 04-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Large Bat

Hi everyone! Thank you for the kind words and tips. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I will make sure to adjust my UI when I login and start going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also I talked to your husband a few weeks back, I was going to help him out with a couple random starter pieces but I haven't heard from him in a while.t
He said he switched to a Shaman named Ragabash so if you were looking for him on his bard, he switched over.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Oh neat I have a few Shaman items in the tunnel, I'll keep an eye out for him
Closed Thread