Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Enchanters and Torpor Shamans can solo some of the toughest mobs. They are the top tier soloers. But there are camps that Enchanters can do that Shamans can't, and vice versa. There is no one absolute best soloer. It depends on what you want to solo.

Shamans are the king at killing monsters that are Slowable and can summon. Their high amount of damage mitigation (Torpor and Slow) allow them to face tank hard mobs to death. The process can be slow, but it is very effective.

The biggest downside to Shamans is they aren't very good at handling 4+ mobs, especially in hard areas. Shaman spells cost a lot of mana, so trying to maintain slow and root on more than 3 mobs at a time is almost impossible. You could be super risk taking and only root the mobs, but you take a lot of damage if root breaks occur. Taking damage as a Shaman translates to lower Mana Regeneration. You are spending a lot of HP on damage, instead of cannibalize.

This is where Enchanters can shine. If there is a group of hard monsters, an Enchanter has way more tools to break them up. This is especially true when mobs are immune to roots and snares. Sirens Grotto is a perfect example here. That zone is basically tailor made for Enchanters. Shamans can slowly solo some mobs here, but it isn't a great experience. Enchanters can also kill mobs that are unslowable, if there is a good mob to Charm nearby. It is difficult for a Shaman to solo unslowable mobs.

To the original question, Shamans are still great soloers pre-Torpor. Slow, Regenration, Pet, and Cannibalize allow you to kill mobs quite effectively, while not losing a ton of resources. When Kunark comes out, you will have access to Fungi Tunic, Fungi Staff, and JBB. Yes, they will be highly sought after, but even one of those items will significatly improve your performance, and you should be able to obtain at least one with a bit of effort or plat farming. Epic and Torpor will be the bigger bottlenecks, but you can certainly do well without them.

I would roll a Shaman even without plans for Torpor. They have a fun playstyle and are quite efficient at farming.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

The main difference is, do you prefer this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

or this:

#swish
Old 07-18-2020, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

If you're 60 and you don't have Torpor you spend every moment in the game farming money until you can afford it. On Blue I just tried to get into Crypt groups whenever I could since Emp has a chance to drop it, sometimes I'd solo the scarabs in seb or whatever. Eventually I had the 100k to buy it from a raid guild.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:19 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey, so I've always wondered... How do you carry 100k+ plat anyway.... I've had like maybe 10k and it was a bitch to walk to the bank...
When that amount is involved, both people go to the bank so that noone has to crawl around.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

or this:

#swish
Best way I’ve seen it described. Well done
Old 07-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Those gifs are great representations [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2020, 05:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

or this:

#swish
Lol if that ain't a shaman I don't know what is.

Skarry 60 Assassin | Kumack 60 Oracle | Gyrgol 60 Oracle | Eregion 54 Illusionist
Old 07-25-2020, 05:39 AM
Planar Protector

I'm not a fan of much of the post kunark content, but Shaman had some great 'fluffy' AA...

I was a big fan of summoning an army of wolves, turning in to a rabid bear, and charging in to kick ass!

IIRC rightly at one point you could MGB the group damage proc buff on to the summoned pets for silly burst damage?
Old 07-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not a fan of much of the post kunark content
I dont love the themes they added, I like vampires and dark elves mainly, but I do love the dungeon designs, they are super fun and hard to master but totally masterable! The gearing was a much better increase in strength than Velious too, it was like a nice clean ratchet up leaving much of classic still BIS!

So tend to agree. I grew to love it on P99 but I greatly prefer classic. The tree's in Kunark are my least favorite thing about it I think. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2020, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

or this:

#swish

This is the most genius depiction of the differences between the two classes I've ever seen.
Closed Thread