Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Fire Giant

Question Used Book From Amazon Came With Bonus Material

so i took advice from that one code thread and got some books on puter science to learn things proper liek. so, found lotta texts for free and stuff online, butt also boaight a few on amazon (i liek having things in my hands). anyway, two books arrived yesterday, one unremarkable, the other, had lotta things in it for bookmarks, liek, restaurant receipt, old test, napkin (w/ notes) envelope (w/ addresses) from what seems to been a card or something. made me wonder if the book had been stolen or what the heck. seemed odd to me that someone would leave so much identifying info in one spot and then sell it online.

Anyone else ever encountered this?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so i took advice from that one code thread and got some books on puter science to learn things proper liek. so, found lotta texts for free and stuff online, butt also boaight a few on amazon (i liek having things in my hands). anyway, two books arrived yesterday, one unremarkable, the other, had lotta things in it for bookmarks, liek, restaurant receipt, old test, napkin (w/ notes) envelope (w/ addresses) from what seems to been a card or something. made me wonder if the book had been stolen or what the heck. seemed odd to me that someone would leave so much identifying info in one spot and then sell it online.

Anyone else ever encountered this?
Some young hackergirl was phishing at the library and forgot to take her addresses with her, the book got dumped cause a new one came out and the libary decided to carry the newer one and donated the old one to a used book store?

I'm guessing you found something cool, but iwll never know why.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

If you ever decide to abandon C and want to learn a previous-generation Javascript framework (ie. not Angular or React) PM me and I'll send you a copy of my book [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But back to your book, it seems a lot more likely to me that:
  • the book was a textbook for a class, and as soon as someone finished the class they were like "hallelujah" and sold it ASAP without bothering to remove their stuff
  • the owner forgot the book somewhere, and when they didn't reclaim it it got sold
  • the owner put it with a bunch of other books in a box in their garage or something when they finished it, and then a few years later sold the whole box without checking each book

... or something like that. But people rarely steal computer books, because most only sell for a few dollars, and when you factor in the time to steal and then list it on Amazon/Ebay it's easier to do honest work.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Kobold

What books did you buy?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some young hackergirl was phishing at the library and forgot to take her addresses with her, the book got dumped cause a new one came out and the libary decided to carry the newer one and donated the old one to a used book store?

I'm guessing you found something cool, but iwll never know why.
nothing particularly cool, just odd. still scratching my head why they would leave all this stuff in the book ^^ had a m&m wrapper as one of the book marks too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a wall of computer programming manuals filled with bookmarks. The reason I like books over ebooks is the ability to vaguely remember something, and then to know exactly what bookmark to find the answer to it for.
yep, that makes sense. i don't expect to find much use from this guy's bookmarks though because the info in this one is more to help me understand what goes on beneath the hood and doesn't seem to be useful as an ongoing reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you ever decide to abandon C and want to learn a previous-generation Javascript framework (ie. not Angular or React) PM me and I'll send you a copy of my book [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But back to your book, it seems a lot more likely to me that:
  • the book was a textbook for a class, and as soon as someone finished the class they were like "hallelujah" and sold it ASAP without bothering to remove their stuff
  • the owner forgot the book somewhere, and when they didn't reclaim it it got sold
  • the owner put it with a bunch of other books in a box in their garage or something when they finished it, and then a few years later sold the whole box without checking each book

... or something like that. But people rarely steal computer books, because most only sell for a few dollars, and when you factor in the time to steal and then list it on Amazon/Ebay it's easier to do honest work.
yeah, that makes sense. thought it could be posssible that someone stole a backpack and this was in it, but all the notes are liek 7 years old, so probably not missed at this point. Guessing it more along the lines of what you said, or liek the former owner left it at home after moving out once he graduated and it was sold by whomever found it.

I don't plan to abandon c#, but will probably learn JavaScript at some point. feeling good about my progress and will probably learn java next (or maybe spend a bit of time on C first), followed by swift, maybe. Then maybe i learn javascript. Last few weeks been spending more my time on discreet mathematics and computing sctructures stuff than actually coding ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What books did you buy?
i bought some books recommended for teaching yourself comp sci (how to solve it, the elements of computing systems, algorithm design manual) and found free copies of a few others liek SICP. don't really wanna spend time messing around with lisp, but figure I can still glean some useful info just from reading the text and applying principles to the language im working with (c#), liek data structures, recursion, and functional programming (more f# than c#, but still useful knowledge I think (hope ^^[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last few weeks been spending more my time on discreet mathematics and computing sctructures stuff than actually coding ^^;
Oooo, I loved discrete math. I actually quit being a CS Major because I didn't want to take seven math classes (that had nothing to do with programming and everything to do with CS), bu discrete math was the one math class I really enjoyed because it was actually relevant.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Fire Giant

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oooo, I loved discrete math. I actually quit being a CS Major because I didn't want to take seven math classes (that had nothing to do with programming and everything to do with CS), bu discrete math was the one math class I really enjoyed because it was actually relevant.
wow, that's a lotta math! i actually enjoy math, but the program im following really just have this course and then calc I/II for institute requirements. I think maybe probability too actually. I've seen other programs that require one or more linear algebra / matrices courses.

WHY DONT YOU LIEK MATH THOUGH, LOR!?

it the language of life :3
Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
WHY DONT YOU LIEK MATH THOUGH, LOR!?

it the language of life :3
I used to love math. When I was a kid in 5th/6th grade I was such a nerd that I woke up an hour early to go "math club" before school, where I learned things that weren't normally taught until high school like how to do summation.

Then I got to high school and had a Trigonometry teacher fail me even though I was going to pass with a B+, because of his policy of "do 50% of the homework or fail" (except he only collected homework sporadically and not at all for the last month of the quarter).

I wound up having to re-take Trig (and later Calculus) at a community college, and then when I got to college I had to retake Calc because my community college course wasn't "Engineering Calculus" ... even though it was the same damn class. I failed that because I didn't study (I figured "I took this class once ...") and after that I was just done.

Being a Literature major/Education minor required zero math classes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Closed Thread