Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Server Chat

Old 10-29-2018, 04:04 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polixa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These ideas from someone who loved EverQuest up until grouping became obsolete and end game raiding became the core of the game. I hate raiding and always will....

LDON or LDON style content, whereby no raiders can accumulate currency (although I would prefer faction hurdles rather than fake currency) to obtain raid quality upgrades.

Alternatively (or in addition) groupable and soloable epic length quests to obtain raid quality items (or guides, manastones etc) - like the shawl and ring quests but without the final rewards locked behind a raid. More like the Qeynos badge quests.
Any type of instances would need to be treated very lightly, everything would need to be no drop / 20-25% lesser in stats or something.

You wanna see the content? ok sure, but it's not going to be the same value as open world with competition.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:05 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Also i'm fairly sure instances require a completely different server and would cost a fair bit more.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:41 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Map based on proportion. I truly don't understand why these zones are so god damn huge when they really shouldn't be. I get this feeling that during development, these were some of the very first overland zones they made before they realize they're idiotically huge before they made overland zones 3x smaller throughout the rest. If it were up to me, I would cut down their size to the same size as places like Commonlands and Desert of Ro ect, make it so the textures look a lot crisper compared to Commonlands, place a city/town south of Qeynos which would be Highborne (from EQOA's lore as a small Erudite town) and have it connect directly to South Karana through a mountain pass or something. West Antonica always needed dire love[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This comment is horrible -10/10
Old 10-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Skeleton

Or just give us luclin and breath some life back to the server.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:45 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Map based on proportion. I truly don't understand why these zones are so god damn huge when they really shouldn't be. I get this feeling that during development, these were some of the very first overland zones they made before they realize they're idiotically huge before they made overland zones 3x smaller throughout the rest. If it were up to me, I would cut down their size to the same size as places like Commonlands and Desert of Ro ect, make it so the textures look a lot crisper compared to Commonlands, place a city/town south of Qeynos which would be Highborne (from EQOA's lore as a small Erudite town) and have it connect directly to South Karana through a mountain pass or something. West Antonica always needed dire love
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is actually really good reason for this. It has t do with mob population density and zone geography. When you are in a foggy forest, very hilly area, or a dungeon with lots of twists and turns, it easier to hide a mob spawn behind every corner. ( I bet than Blackburrow has more mobs than West Karana.)
However, when you are in wide open area that SUPPOSE TO BE WIDE OPEN AREA - having mobs standing 5 feet away from each other will look ridiculous - you have to spread them out to make things look realistic. If any of the plains of Karana would be size of Lesser Faydark, while NOT being a foggy forest, then by standing in the middle of it you could see the zone from one end to another with every single mob in sight. And that would be just plain stupid.
So yes, large open area outdoor zones HAVE TO BE MUCH LARGER, in order to spread mobs out more, to make it look real. Plains being a bit empty and lacking some decent geographic features is another thing - that has to do with early zone makers not being very experienced - Kunark outdoor zones were clear upgrades in that regard.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any type of instances would need to be treated very lightly, everything would need to be no drop / 20-25% lesser in stats or something.

You wanna see the content? ok sure, but it's not going to be the same value as open world with competition.
Doesn't have to be an instance. The problem with most EQ dungeons is that level span is too large (sometimes up to 15 levels!). So instead of doing dungeon run in a classical DnD sense from start to finish, you only fight in until your group level and then sit on the same 4 rooms for next 5 hours. I always found this dumb. I like approach of WoW dungeon more - dungeon level varies 1-2 lev max, so group can actually go from start to final boss without hitting a hard level wall. Again - does't need to instanced.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
EQ2 didn't have sets and bonuses until around EoF in 2006 I believe. And even then they were so small and not horrendously huge. I stopped playing by 2014 but by then set bonuses stopped being utilized almost entirely.
They did had them before EoC, but EoC is when they were crazy. I remember Emerald Halls were a total frustration in regards to loot, because all gear was 1 class only, and EQ2 had 24 freaken classes. So we are good guild from Qeynos with practically no char from Freeport side, and basically no evils at all, and we get drops for necro, assassin and SK - awesome - 100% loot rot! I stopped playing around that time. (then dumbing down crafting system what was REALLY killed EQ2 for me - I loved it so much)

[Zuranthium;1453395]