Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Orc

I'm loving the discourse! That's the beauty of enchanter, you can have many different tactics. I was certainly using hyperbole when I said 2%, and that is my fault. I also specifically cast Memory Blur, not just relying on the Mem Blur included occasionally with a Mez. Mem Blur works a lot more often, almost 100%. I would also say I'd be aiming more for a 14-20% before nuking, and I'll admit it's a dance between what that means for level of nuke and timing between blur and cast while your pet is hacking away. However, the main point is that you can get just as much experience using a pet if you do this most of the time. Sure, you'll have some that don't work, but you still GET experience. I don't hate charming, but I don't I have to charm every time I play just because I'm an enchanter. Now that I'm 44, I'm going to use it more, but I feel sincerely that up to the cycle at 34, illusions are passed over far too often. I'm also not at all opposed to grabbing a good rogue charm in a group and watching backstab damage tick away. Edit-hah wrote this thinking I wrote the post-but I did talk some ish so I'm still ok with my take on what Iz said there.
Last edited by WarTurtle62; 11-08-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 02:45 AM
Planar Protector

Mez blur / nuke works very well at low levels, say mobs under 30 or so.

Higher than that, mez blur is too unreliable.

The only issue is when then the mob regens a tick before your pet reaggroes it, which happens every once in a while...

But yeah, no sane person is going to solo exp with animation if they can charm.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Sarnak

I would like to see someone make videos of an enchanter solo leveling using only the animation as a pet, similarly to how Tecmos made videos showing Noman leveling by charm killing.

One time I watched an enchanter who just hit 55 come into Chardok, excited to try out his new animation. I watched with rez effects as he summoned Zumaik's, buffed him up, and pulled the pathing janissary. The enchanter's slow was resisted, he was beaten half to death before he got a root off, and once he did his pet died quickly.

I think I'll just risk it and continue to charm kill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by snyder43; 11-08-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTurtle62 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However, the main point is that you can get just as much experience using a pet if you do this most of the time.
Even if you're getting 100% exp, when you use an animation, you get 1 kill per fight. When you charm kill, you get two kills per fight because you get to kill off the mob AND your pet. So you're only getting half the exp when using an animation.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Orc

Snyder you definitely have a point! But I've honestly been able to kill things much faster with a pet than mucking around with charm battling, depending on MR and what not. Find a good necro or ranger friend for fear kiting and you'll love your pet even more.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Sarnak

Pre Whirl nerf using an animation was pretty lol awesome for when you wanted to chill.

Then Kunark dropped and the lol train was over.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeaaaa I dunno how I feel about this lol, but where you hunting?
Grobb guards for now, as I tend to do lots of reading and things around the house, it helps me semi AFK while still hacking away at the XP bar and bank values. I will charm when I don't have distractions, but the ani for these mobs is a viable solution if your not worried about min/max.

I've yet to try and harder Kunark/Velious areas yet with this.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTurtle62 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Snyder you definitely have a point! But I've honestly been able to kill things much faster with a pet than mucking around with charm battling, depending on MR and what not. Find a good necro or ranger friend for fear kiting and you'll love your pet even more.
As I said before, if you are killing things as quickly with an animation as with charms (and you're not like level 14), then you're charming wrong. No offense intended.

Like, watch one of my videos for whatever level you're at, and let me know if you're killing more stuff per time with an animation than I was with charms.

If you just flat out prefer animations, then that's all well and good. But don't level slower than you need to because you haven't gotten the knack of charming yet and therefore you do better with an animation than charms! Nobody is telling you you have to charm. But you keep saying something that just plain isn't true if you're playing well (that the animation gets you faster kills than charming does), and I'm only focusing on that point in my replies.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-11-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Orc

Tecmos-I’ve been agreeing with your points but certainly don’t agree I am doing something “wrong” or not “good enough”. You’re obviously well informed and experienced, but so am I. I don’t prefer animations over charming and like I said, enjoy charming in the right situations. You seem to severely downplay the dangers and hassels of charm breaking, whether grouped or solo. If things go wrong there, I am most likely oom and low on hp when it’s all over, possibly losing my camp running away and likely looking at a long med break. Not good for fast experience. If my pet and ai can’t finish a fight, I can easily reclaim, mez and only need med for more mana, not both. I played in a group in Kael killing giants, and no mez or charm took the whole time due to high MR. Yeah, yeah you need to get high MR gear to give them, but sometimes you’re just forcing a charm to say you can when it’s simply more trouble than it’s worth for a bit more dps. ALSO I have been saying this is all pre-level 35ish where afterward mobs will start to greatly increase their dps and class diversity (especially if you’re just getting to Kunark or Velious). To me, it’s common sense and not that big of a deal. I’ve seen plenty of level 20ish chanters die, even in groups, trying to charm and causing the only disruption in otherwise smooth leveling.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Hit me up when you're willing to demonstrate an animation killing faster than charming [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread