Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hit me up when you're willing to demonstrate an animation killing faster than charming [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But nobody ever pretended that.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But nobody ever pretended that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTurtle62 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But I've honestly been able to kill things much faster with a pet than mucking around with charm battling
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As I said before, if you are killing things as quickly with an animation as with charms (and you're not like level 14), then you're charming wrong. No offense intended.

Like, watch one of my videos for whatever level you're at, and let me know if you're killing more stuff per time with an animation than I was with charms.

If you just flat out prefer animations, then that's all well and good. But don't level slower than you need to because you haven't gotten the knack of charming yet and therefore you do better with an animation than charms! Nobody is telling you you have to charm. But you keep saying something that just plain isn't true if you're playing well (that the animation gets you faster kills than charming does), and I'm only focusing on that point in my replies.
Gotta agree with this. With Charming I can kill ~30 mobs in about 20 minutes solo. I would say its safer to use an animation but I just cant see how it would be faster. I personally got the level 4 animation and the level 55 animation and I stopped using them all together when I hit level 12. The only 2 things I use an animation for is when I camp PS/RS and Xicotl.

But to echo tecmos, every enchanter has their style and I'll never knock someone for using a different strategy then I would use. I have more of a Rambo style of chanting and that's what makes it fun for me so if summoning a phantom knight to battle along side you while you support him with your mind magic then so be it!
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 11-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh..right.

I can charm a decaying skeleton and make a video you're asking for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Kobold

I would be really surprised if at 49 the animation results in even 1/2 as much xp over a sustained period of time like a couple hours, let alone having less downtime over a period of say gaining 20% xp.

Better to use the time now to improve on your charming so that charm breaks with unhasted mobs below 51 are a minor inconvenience at worst imo. Once you have theft of thought and could be reverse chaming in HS with hardly any downtime you will really be missing out on potential xp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTurtle62 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played in a group in Kael killing giants, and no mez or charm took the whole time due to high MR.
Giants can't be mezzed. It's not because of MR, they are immune to mez and stuns. That applies to any giant not just in Kael.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Orc

I’ve charm solo’ed the giants in Iceclad many times, including the two that guard the bridge into the Eastern Wastes.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Planar Protector

It's ok guys. Turtle's a pro level 44 enchanter who raves about using an animation while fear kiting with a partner and who tried to mez kael giants in a group. He doesn't need any advice about upping his game.

(I actually feel a little bad about this reply, but I'm gonna post it anyway.)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Orc

No, that’s fair. I do appreciate the help/advice. I continue to say, however, I Was talking about use of pets before level 34 originally despite the post heading (despute between Tecmos and I originated in a sperate post I believe).
Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Planar Protector

If I had a chanter at 12, I'd prove to you that you're wrong. Even at that low of a level, charming works better overall. Don't get me wrong. It's NOT fantastic like it is in the 40s+. Charm durations are wonky and outright resists happen because of level ranges of blues at that point, and your mana bar and regen are so low that casting a root or a mez is painful, let alone a recharm or an extra nuke. But it's still better than using an animation.

The 12 animation is about as tough as the dark blues you'll XP on at 12. But you don't have any debuffs worth casting to help him. Blurring and nuking to snipe XP isn't really viable at this low of a level, your pet can hardly live through two fights if he is going toe to toe (and then you're likely not getting full xp anyway), your pet doesn't do much damage if you pull aggro with nukes so you'll be burning extra mana to get kills, using runes pre-fight is a huge mana hog that'll force you to med a lot without helping you get full xp kills, etc.

And as you get higher, even when you start to get a slow worth casting and feedback and whatever else, the mobs just grow in power so much faster than your animation that it's just never faster XP to use it than it is to charm and watch two mobs beat each other down while you med 50 yards away. Watch my video I did in CT at 31, charming gators. I was killing 2-3 dark blue gators per fight, on less than a full mana bar, for full xp, in fights that lasted like 90 seconds. There's just no way you can do that sort of thing with an animation.

The animation has its uses. But getting xp faster than you can by charming isn't one of them, at 12 or at 60 or anywhere inbetween... unless you're charming wrong.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-11-2018 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Fire Giant

illusions only useful for afking xicotl, using an illusion to xp is just absurd and i'm fairly convinced op is baiting. Or at least i hope he is.