Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 AM
Kobold

Default Any improvements to super wide 21:9 gaming in EverQuest classic yet? any tools ?

Hi all, there is a thread here that talked about the use of super wide screen and different formats 16:9, 16:10, 21:9 in EverQuest *emulated* about three years ago.

The conclusion was that as EverQuest was originally in 4:3 and the client is not updated to support anything beyond that, that the best compromise resolution format you can use is 16:10. 16:9 and 21:9 especially will produce odd results. This is because the Field of View is static.

In my observations, the game will match/meet any resolution and format you ask of it, and there won't be any fish bowl effect at the horizontal plan edges, which is great.
However in order to meet this demand, it zooms the image, which reduces the vertical.

For example, using 21:9, when at the character login screen, you cannot see your name above your head, and part of the ground area is missing. In the game, while looking at a mountain with 16:9 you can see the tip. When using 21:9 the tip is not visible as another example.

Scrolling to third person as far back as you can go alleviate this somewhat as it synthetically increases the field of view.

I am wondering if anyone uses WinEQ2 or a non EQ specific tool to modify the field of view or maybe "adjust" is a better way. Even if it means having a letter box effect on the horizontal plane and some manner of black bars, that would be better than the top being cropped off.

Thank you
Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

If you're not playing in 3:4, then you're not doing it right.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 PM
VIP / Contributor

I have a 21:9 monitor... your best bet is playing in 1920x1080 windowed mode on a 21:9 desktop. Unfortunately, this game was made before that was a thing (later clients aren't much better, either)

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 11-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

You know you are playing a 20 year old game, right?

Go buy a crt monitor be classic
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

640x480 or go home.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
640x480 or go home.
Super Fun Fact: Everyone ITT is probably running luclin UIs