Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Aviak

Default Enchanter Pet Questions...

1. Do pet commands work?
2. Can you give your pet different weapons?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Sarnak

1) Not the summoned pets -- they will simply "fight to the death" once engaged. They're certainly brave!

2) Yes. I grouped with an enchanter last night, his (summoned) pet was wielding a dagger and a rapier

Summoned pets will not dual wield (ie use two weaps at once) until a certain level, you can look it up on the wiki
Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Aviak

Is it known the dmg/delay of the weapons they carry and the AC of shields?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Sarnak

Hopefully this information can help: https://wiki.project1999.com/Pet_Guide
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Fire Giant

For the low level pets (maybe until level 12) its nice to give them a big weapon like a scythe. They will do the actual weapon damage instead of their usual damage, delay doesn't matter for pets.

There is a time when pets start to get dual wield but wont have 2 weapons automatically. In that time giving pets 2 weapons will help.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:06 AM
Kobold

1) As said above they will fight to death. Can't /attack them either, they simply defend you if you or them get hit by spell or melee/ranged

2) Dmg/Del isn't relevant for pets. Until very low level, as said above, dmg alone is - but only at very very low levels. For dual wield you'll need to get them equipped with 2 weapons, that is possible for pets of lvl19 or above (high lvl20 spell pets)

Once you get charm you normally won't use it anymore. Except maybe if you farm really green stuff and your pet is higher than the highest charmable mob in zone.

Vallon Zek (1999-2003) <Boten der Apokalypse, House T'Sai, Innoruuk's Legion, Orden des Lichts, Ancient Orden, Ancient Dawn>
[65 Barb SHM] Stear | [54 DE CLR] Palanthas
Old 10-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Kobold

The only real benefit of giving the summoned pet weapons after the really low levels is when you are using proccing weapons, but unlike a charmed pet you can't kill the pet and get the weapons back and the summoned pet is really only good for farming green trash where proccing weapons are useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the low level pets (maybe until level 12) its nice to give them a big weapon like a scythe. They will do the actual weapon damage instead of their usual damage, delay doesn't matter for pets.

There is a time when pets start to get dual wield but wont have 2 weapons automatically. In that time giving pets 2 weapons will help.

If the pet has innate DW it doesn't need a second weapon. It's the same principle as a charmed pet with a torch/shield/instrument. You can watch the melee chat and see that it will slash one swing and "hit" the next swing, hit = offhand swing.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Orc

I’m a level 45 enchanter and I vehemently disagree about not using pets after you get charm. Enc pets are less tanky than nec or mage pets, but they deal way more damage. Pull with Tash and take one bite, your pet will engage but quickly take over Afro so you can back away, slow/weaken/dot and nuke safely. This works especially well in a group with a paladin who can FoL snap aggrieved while you slow. Don’t undervalue how much safer this method can be for those not able to think their CHA past 200 right away!! You WILL get charm breaks and your group will be annoyed. Know the situation and be flexible. I am greatly annoyed by enchanters who insist on charming pets just because they can. End pets are just as good at dps at least until 34ish.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2) Dmg/Del isn't relevant for pets. Until very low level, as said above, dmg alone is - but only at very very low levels.
I mean, generally yeah. But you can actually buff even a max-level chanter pet's max hits by giving it a relatively cheap weapon like a deathbringer's rod. And if you do that with a low-level pet? Hah! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTurtle62 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’m a level 45 enchanter and I vehemently disagree about not using pets after you get charm. Enc pets are less tanky than nec or mage pets, but they deal way more damage. Pull with Tash and take one bite, your pet will engage but quickly take over Afro so you can back away, slow/weaken/dot and nuke safely. This works especially well in a group with a paladin who can FoL snap aggrieved while you slow. Don’t undervalue how much safer this method can be for those not able to think their CHA past 200 right away!! You WILL get charm breaks and your group will be annoyed. Know the situation and be flexible. I am greatly annoyed by enchanters who insist on charming pets just because they can. End pets are just as good at dps at least until 34ish.
The summoned pets can be useful in a pinch, but in almost every situation they are a much worse choice than charming. Maybe you hate charming, maybe you can't find a pet to charm? That's fine. But basically every other time charm is infinitely better.

Enchanter pets do not deal more damage than other class's pets, other things being equal. They're pretty close from like 1-30, but lag behind significantly after that. Maybe a buffed chanter pet might deal more than an unbuffed necro/mage pet. But why wouldn't a necro or mage be buffing their pet in a group, or getting it buffed from someone else?

Getting hit to aggro your animation in a group isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it likely is. You're either losing runes just to get your pet attacking stuff, or you're not using runes and you're living on the edge even more than chanters do already. You're possibly going to annoy the tank and the healer both. You're possibly going to have crowd control problems because a mob that hit you when you were trying to mez it is now going to have its mez broken by your pet as soon as it finishes off its current target. Etc etc.

You don't need 200+ charisma to charm effectively, especially at 45 and above, most especially if you have a shaman or mage in the party too. And besides, it's pretty trivial to get charisma that high between the chanter buff line and how cheap charisma gear is for a 40s+ chanter.

Knowing the situation and being flexible is pretty paramount as an enchanter. And while the summoned pet may once in a while be a good choice, he limits your flexibility and is less powerful than a charmed pet while being as much of a liability.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-01-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Old 11-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTurtle62 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enc pets are less tanky than nec or mage pets,
Most people who think of Enc Pets know nothing about their final 55 pet Zumaik. It has max hp of 3200 from the previous 2000. It's basically on par dps with a Necro Spec pet, and can be boon'ed & deadwood staved for on similar lifetaps, but even tankier. In a solo situation if the mob is able to be slowed, it's extremely effective, safe, and more tankier than a mage epic pet in a solo situation.

Not trying to say it's better than charming, but there are certain situations that I like to use it, and not just on greens, including with some lvl ~50 mobs. It's nice not to worry about breaks sometimes. I would say out of all the spells on my enc, Zumaik's was the one I was the most pleasantly surprised by. The key is just using your cc to control everything going on that doesn't involve the pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanter pets do not deal more damage than other class's pets, other things being equal
I'd be curious to see a parse on max level Zumaik's vs Emissary. Can't imagine it's that far off.
Last edited by Crede; 11-01-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Closed Thread