Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:38 PM
Orc

Just be ready for FD to fail, cause you know it will at the worst possible time.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just be ready for FD to fail, cause you know it will at the worst possible time.
It's funny, I'm currently in my late 40s and it has only failed twice. Both times a bunch of guards were attacking me.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah... Surprisingly a lot of newer Necros I've talked to don't have Harmshield on their bar because they a) don't have it (research spell) or b) don't think they'll need it.

I always tell new necros to have Harmshield on their bar 99% of the time.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haghar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah... Surprisingly a lot of newer Necros I've talked to don't have Harmshield on their bar because they a) don't have it (research spell) or b) don't think they'll need it.

I always tell new necros to have Harmshield on their bar 99% of the time.
My necro is almost level 53 and I have never once casted Harmshield and never have it memmed.. If I am not mistaken, when Harmshield is up, you are unable to cast anything until it has faded or has been clicked off? To me that defeats the purpose of not being able to be hit. I'd rather just have FD memmed and ready to go.

Now, if i had jboots or knew I would have SoW more consistently, you cast it, run away and FD once far away...

Maybe I just have not given it a chance.. if I could have 1 more extra spell slot I would keep HS up.
Briqii Blunts 29 Half Elf Druid
Briq 16 Half Elf Rogue
Old 06-30-2018, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

For the necro that wants "outs"

6 - Feign Death
7 - Harmshield
8 - Gate

I went most of my necro career with those in those slots, and on a FD fail the other 2 were always handy.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briq [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My necro is almost level 53 and I have never once casted Harmshield and never have it memmed.. If I am not mistaken, when Harmshield is up, you are unable to cast anything until it has faded or has been clicked off? To me that defeats the purpose of not being able to be hit. I'd rather just have FD memmed and ready to go.

Now, if i had jboots or knew I would have SoW more consistently, you cast it, run away and FD once far away...

Maybe I just have not given it a chance.. if I could have 1 more extra spell slot I would keep HS up.
If you are charm soloing in a dungeon and FD fails on a crit lull resist or bad charm break you're completely fucked without harmshield up. If you've never used it then you're not pushing your class to the limit.

Go do some undead charm soloing around Lord/AM/Frenzy in Lguk and let me know how it goes without Harmshield on your bar.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haghar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are charm soloing in a dungeon and FD fails on a crit lull resist or bad charm break you're completely fucked without harmshield up. If you've never used it then you're not pushing your class to the limit.

Go do some undead charm soloing around Lord/AM/Frenzy in Lguk and let me know how it goes without Harmshield on your bar.
Nope, I definitely do not push the class to the limits while soloing. I have stuck to fear kiting/root rotting most of my levels. Haven't done much undead charming on the necro, I leveled up using that method on the enchanter.
Briq 16 Half Elf Rogue
Old 07-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Aviak

Then that explains why you wouldn't use it. Harmshield is an 'oh shit' button, and those are rarely needed while fear kiting or root rotting, especially outside of dungeons.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Then that explains why you wouldn't use it. Harmshield is an 'oh shit' button, and those are rarely needed while fear kiting or root rotting, especially outside of dungeons.
I only play anywhere from 1-10 hours a week, so I have not really tried to push the limits and have played it relatively safe. Now on my enchanter, I did a lot of charm solo killing in guk and other dungeons and had a blast with it.. I just do not feel that a necro's charming ability is anywhere close to that of an enchanter and just haven't really messed with it all too much. Charasis is looming soon within the next couple of levels though!!

Now I could see in dungeons using it more, able to HS and run around a corner and FD. I am definitely thinking it more in terms of outside. I probably would have gone into Charasis without it up. Thanks for the reminder!
Briq 16 Half Elf Rogue
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Aviak

If you plan on charming in HS I recommend getting your feet wet in Lguk first. The punishment for failure, as well as the likelihood of it, is much much lower. The exp isn't half bad either through 53-54 (as well as the loot).

That said, the charming skills transfer from enchanter to necro fairly well so that may not be necessary /shrug.
Closed Thread