Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 07:57 PM
Fire Giant

Default Yo, Is she dead and What expansion is it on?

^^^

Still the same 20 people playing Red?
Old 01-05-2022, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

P99 doesn’t go past velious.

Same 20 people playing

Same hundreds waiting for new red.

Same 5 people shitting up the message board
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:35 PM
Fire Giant

What a shame... Feel like a PVP teams server would populate.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What a shame... Feel like a PVP teams server would populate.
Its right around the corner, just need to put the finishing touches on the discord server first.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its right around the corner, just need to put the finishing touches on the discord server first.
With boosted XP, clearly....
Old 01-05-2022, 09:44 PM
Banned

Right

Now back to my regular scheduling of smoking crack
Old 01-05-2022, 09:50 PM
Fire Giant

I still think the non-classic red ruleset indicates a lack of ability or laziness.

They did coin loot FFA PvP. That means FFA PvP players got no joy from item loot trolling which is why most of us played RZ. Less hardcore "care bear" PvP players got no joy from the team environment which is why most of us played VZ/TZ.

Why shit on both sides? Probably because allowing item loot is a headache in terms of preventing exploits. It's difficult to code correctly. Probably far more difficult than the boat mechanics that still don't work. Similarly the team PvP mechanics are also difficult to code correctly.

So, why not just not code anything that takes effort? Just make it coin loot and no teams. Done. Who cares if it's the least popular PvP server rules and we take a dump on item loot which is the only thing that appealed about the FFA ruleset? Oh well.

What I will never understand is why the P99 staff is so controlling of everything and refuses to take advice or contributions from the community. Literally hundreds or thousands of people have rolled through the bug reports forum now explaining things, offering to fix things, etc and it's just a giant pile of shit and even more infuriating the staff randomly pops in every 6 months to say, "geez this place is a fucking dump, it would be nice if SOMEONE could improve things around here, geez, we're all so busy, we don't have time to properly leverage the thousands of people offering to help us, we're only volunteers"

I still use the analogy of a project manager who works on code while all the developers are playing ping pong because they aren't assigned any work. That is the state of P99. Literally thousands of bug reports that have never even been looked at let alone triaged and the project manager pops in occasionally to complain that if people would just help they could do more time implementing things instead of investigating or whatever. The devs look over and raise their eyebrows then go back to playing ping pong wondering why the project manager is still trying to focus on implementation and not management of resources and prioritization of fixes. The project manager is basically working front line support investigating bug reports to determine if they are valid or not and wishes they could be a developer instead and doesn't even seem to understand that a project manager isn't a developer. Meanwhile literally tens or hundreds of thousands of man hours are being cast aside carelessly because no one in charge will create an actual functional means of contributing to the project.

See my channeling fix and appeal to fix the bug report threads in the bug report forum if you'd like to know more. I fixed that bug just to write the bug report on how fucking stupid the whole thing is if the goal is to actually make P99 more enjoyable, classic, popular, or any other kind of metric the project could have. I can't imagine what kind of metric or goal this project could have that is being better met by the way things are going instead of fixing this contribution pipeline.

I would literally shit my pants if P99 ever even made a single poll asking the community what non-classic bugs or missing things they care about the most. No one gives a shit. There is never going to be another PvP server and if there was it would just be another FFA coin loot play nice PvP server updated to use the latest green code paths.
Last edited by azxten; 01-05-2022 at 10:05 PM..
Old 01-05-2022, 10:05 PM
Banned

Thats my impression as well. Red launch felt like they just turned on the thing and didnt stick around to see if it worked. Pop once, a year and a half later to turn off xp loss in pvp. Pop in a month later to nerf xp to kill whatever excitement no xp loss anymore had created and cripple the server in a permanent way.

Even this time around, the mild expectation of a new server made people once again give very useful feedback no matter what type of ruleset is chosen so that mistakes of the past are not repeated. If i had to bet on it, id bet that none of that shit was read.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:13 PM
Kobold

teams item loot would be sick and would 200% be more popular than coin loot ffa
Old 01-06-2022, 12:01 AM
Planar Protector

Coin loot ffa is worst of both worlds as the wall of text above I assume asserts.

So psyched to see a p99 pvp server with a different rule set and fresh start.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread