Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Kobold

I really don't understand the player hate with Luclin models. I think they are 1000x better than the "classic" models. Granted, the combat animations have little to be desired, but the overall look of every Luclin model is superior.

If I was a P99 developer, I would seriously consider using everything the Titanium client has to offer, such as additional races and classes as well as the enhanced graphics/UI. One can still keep the "feel" of the game classic via the game mechanics while still delivering a more aesthetically pleasing game.

"Classic" graphics are simply nostalgia. If gamers had a choice, I think almost all of us would love to see EQ Next to be simply EQ1 (same classic zones, game mechanics, etc.) with 2015 graphics, and run it like an EQ1 progression server.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Julae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really don't understand the player hate with Luclin models....

.... "Classic" graphics are simply nostalgia.
Sounds like you kinda do understand.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Character models are a part of the game's original design. Trying to compare classic model enforcement to technical advances is apples to oranges.
1 Chat Window
1 Hot Bar
1 Spell bar
No MQ
Night Blindness
No Item linking
No Tell windows
No shadows
No Bloom
No enhanced graphics

These were all also in the games original design, yet are kept. This is classic? Luclin graphic overrides were being used since the project began, much how UI overrides were being used. Neither affected how others enjoyed the classic game play P99 offers.

And that is really the point of those using Luclin models. They want a classic "game play" experience, they do not necessarily want "classic" aesthetics. And if I might be so bold, aesthetics and game play are apples and oranges as well. Aesthetics does not implement game play; and while the developers of P99 may feel that they don't have to listen to their community, it's their community that ultimately makes their project worth while. What's the point of the project if no one plays on it?

I see no harm in updated graphics so long as the game play is the same. So rather than turning Luclin models off, make a toggle for those who prefer to keep them on, kinda how EQ2 did with the SOGA models, which looked 100x better than the original models.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffDaemon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you kinda do understand.
Oh I understand. I understand that there are some players who love the classic models, and for them, it enhances their classic experience. What I do not understand is why those same people do not want those players who love the Luclin models to enjoy them as part of their classic experience.

Everyone has their own opinion to what classic EQ is for them. For me, it's classic game play mechanics. Aesthetics only make that experience better, as it's proper for 2015. I guess what I am saying is I want EQ1 with better, 2015 graphics. I think most of us do.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

speaking of wanting old UI back:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Character models are a part of the game's original design. Trying to compare classic model enforcement to technical advances is apples to oranges.
It's not so much the models themselves, it's the inherent hypocrisy that's so prevalent in most peoples arguments against them. (People don't like and don't want others to use because they aren't classic, yet they themselves use and participate in many unclassic things and don't see the difference.)
Bhear Ghrillz - Level 51 Druid - Dial A Port | Oggre - Level 44 Warrior | Revenance Vampirus - Level 40 Necromancer | Mottley Crue - Level 30 Rogue | Renovatio - Level 3 Cleric | Abradolf Lincler - Level 40 Cleric | Drowning - Level 35 Enchanter | Oradan Omnipotent - Level 57 Magician | Chubbz Zilla - Level 40 Monk - Scaled Brotherhood
Old 05-22-2015, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX0621 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not so much the models themselves, it's the inherent hypocrisy that's so prevalent in most peoples arguments against them. (People don't like and don't want others to use because they aren't classic, yet they themselves use and participate in many unclassic things and don't see the difference.)
A lot of those things they don't have a choice.

You can't not use item links. Well you could yourself but you still have to see everyone else's.

You can not use certain hot keys and UI functions but you are at a severe disadvantage against anyone else using those hotkeys and UI functions.

I'd love to say nuke it all and go 100% classic. Or accept that Luclin and PoP were the two greatest expansions to ever grace this game (sacred be their names, Amen)
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty sure that science proved that Luclin models give you brain tumors. How can they let people use them in good conscience.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Julae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These were all also in the games original design, yet are kept. This is classic?
no its not classic which is why they will change all of those things too
Old 05-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure that science proved that Luclin models give you brain tumors. How can they let people use them in good conscience.
Amen! Preach it Brother C!
Closed Thread