Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can we still use the default skin instead of that skin on Green? I really dislike the weird transparent border around the spellbook on the "velious" skin. I keep hearing that we'll be locked into the "velious UI", but I don't know if that's the same thing as the skin.
I reckon probably not. The UI Skin in that screenshot is called the "Velious UI."
Old 09-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqrelord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The spellbook obscuring your view seems like an intentional design decision. Everquest borrowing heavily from dnd, it makes sense.

Spellcasters have to prepare their magic after each 'engagement' and this is classic eq's way of simulating that. Casters are left vulnerable inbetween battles.

Even more so, it somewhat balances casters and melee's. Melee are much weaker in classic, but they aren't hampered with preparation time.

The fact that casters graduate from this after 35, signals how conscious of a design choice this was.

I actually would welcome this to be implemented... it's an interesting mechanic, and you can level out of it, so its not even a big deal.
Convincing aside, you are going to end up putting off players with this. I don't know that you would lose players for not book-blocking the screen though. And I agree that the disapproval is not coming from die-hard EQ players who want to play in the most restrictive form possible. We are more interested in returning and enjoying the fresh-start aspects.

The couple of hardcore guys who keep pushing for it on here may actually enjoy spending their play time with a blanked screen for cumulative hours/days. Or perhaps the extent of their playing is on a forum arguing. In any case, we are waiting for the official response regarding this question so that we can make some decisions amid the games that are doing a fresh-start server within the ~month.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please make the blackout-screen an option, if that's an easy implementation! Surely all the "blind-blook" advocates here will CHOOSE to play w/ the blackout enabled to increase their immersion!

Right? Rrrrrriiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt
I chose to play with regular gamma and a torch, so why not! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 09-25-2019, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Pentium III
Voodoo3
SB Live!
128 megs RAM (I think, little fuzzier, it's been a long time)
Windows 98

That's what I was using in '99, and it ran EQ silky smooth right up 'till Luclin launched, from which point it ran like a dog--part of why I quit shortly after Luclin opened and didn't come back till I bought a new machine about a year later.

Danth
Old 09-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kunark-Velious UI in action

iirc to med during this time it would switch back over to the classic UI with the spellbook. Perhaps someone who knows for certain will comment.

Depends what you mean by classic UI. Classic had tiny window and full screen at launch. For some reason a lot of people just always played in little window mode and didn't know you could switch between them. If you were in the full screen and you went into the spellbook it put you into the small window UI until you you exited the book then you went back to full screen.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please make the blackout-screen an option, if that's an easy implementation! Surely all the "blind-blook" advocates here will CHOOSE to play w/ the blackout enabled to increase their immersion!

Right? Rrrrrriiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt
That would acually be kinda neat, if there was a permanent blindbook option at start, and you get a special title to denote your character is blindbook tied.

It would let others know they have to watch out for you during groups, and it incentivises people to play classic.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqrelord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That would acually be kinda neat, if there was a permanent blindbook option at start, and you get a special title to denote your character is blindbook tied.

It would let others know they have to watch out for you during groups, and it incentivises people to play classic.
This guy gets it. The point of playing EQ on hard mode isn't to impose arbitrary restrictions on yourself and then try to play the harder game by yourself. If you want to do that, go speed run through Final Fantasy or something.

The point of playing in a classic multi-player world is that everyone is facing the same constraints, and when you overcome them (whether those constraints are night blindness, book blindness, or just the fact that you have to kill a whole hell of a lot more mobs to get a level than you do in WoW), you feel a greater sense of accomplishment.

I'm not in love with the idea of Green being split in to "real classic" players and "wannabe" ones, but at least that's better than telling everyone to turn their monitor down if they want night blindness (or any other "just do it on your own computer if you want it classic" response).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Banned

Don't fall for the anti classic crocodile tears
Old 09-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, but he already posted saying that wasn't going to be forced on Green:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s....php?p=2965963
Then he should have put that in his OP, because expecting people to see that in 30 pages of responses is ridiculous.

I can only think of one reason to leave the OP like it is and not edit it: Trolling. He was trying to provoke a reaction, and got it. And a lot of people turned viscous on fellow EQ lovers who just have an opinion because they really don't like it.

Just look at the aftermath that could have been prevented if he edited his OP.
Closed Thread