Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Sarnak

Default Classic EQ to me...

Thinking that I could cast invis during combat and disappear from skeletons in Nektulos... and dying several times before I realized it wasn't going to work.

Using /shout to plead with the evil halflings ( NPCS... ugh ) at the druid rings to stop killing me so that I could recover my corpse?

Getting slaughtered by a random lvl 8 water elemental pet that went hostile after casting invis and was parked inside Neriak.

Obviously trying to kill the Priest of Discord to take his robe. fail.

Watching druids run by with a chain of mobs that they've dotted and are kiting with ease.

Watching my first character, a necromancer, get savagely destroyed by a measly shadow wolf.

Losing my body in Kedge Keep because my lvl 32 Mage wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Being starstruck by Silvain on Rodcite Nife every time he floated by the skeleton pyramid with his damask robe and shimmering orb.

Traveling all the way to lake rathe tear at lvl 8 or so for a Runed Totem Staff, without any idea as to whether or not I could actually kill whatever dropped it. Then being the lucky recipient of someone's kindness that gave me the opportunity to loot it.

Leveling up my toons and then killing my character, deleting that toon, creating a new toon with the same name, and then looting the old toon's corpse... because I liked my name but also really liked the lower level camps. I had so many lvl 12 magicians and enchanters over the years -_-

Running one of my dark elves all the way to Erudin to get a barnacle breastplate ( couldnt even equip it, lol), binding myself in the zone and getting stuck in a death loop.

Watching all my friends out level me because I was a very naive 12 year old, who was also really bad at EQ. lol
Old 09-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

Mean't to ask!!

what are some of your most favorite brutal early EQ memories?
Old 09-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natewest1987 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Losing my body in Kedge Keep because my lvl 32 Mage wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
Not quite as bad, but I do remember an incredibly painful/scary corpse run in Blackburrow when I fell down the hole in the middle (and I'm sure many other Barbarians and Qeynos/Surefall Humans have similar memories). I actually did that a few times, and just died to the fish at the bottom (but eventually was able to get my corpse out).

The really scary time was when I landed on of those mid-level bridges, and foolishly tried to navigate out, getting myself killed right in the heart of the dungeon. It took a kind higher level player (after what felt like hours of anguished waiting) to finally recover that corpse ... which probably had nothing on it except half a suit of tattered leather armor, a wooden club, and 20 gold ... but it felt like the world to me at the time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Aviak

Default I was on Rodcite Nife too

Went by Kbazz what toons were you?
Old 09-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

At launch back in 1999, I started a Human Paladin. At level 16, I got on the boat to BB cause, ya know, I had to find out where that boat went. It stopped at sister island and some ranger pulled a MOB on to the boat and it killed him and then it killed me.

I re spawned back in Freeport and waited for the boat to show up thinking my corpse would be on the boat........It wasn't. Spoke to a GM, who was quite overwhelmed at the time being that the game had just launched, and said he couldn't find it anywhere. He did look for about two hours and couldn't find it. I just re-rolled a Human Shadow Knight instead and actually enjoyed it more.

Later, I was playing that Shadow Knight and we were in HHK and we wiped due to a train. Me and this Rogue re-spawned back in Freeport and we went into the noobie yard there and killed trash for weapons because we had nothing and it was along trek back. We fought our way thru HHP and died again, but eventually we got to our corpses and, much to our dismay, we were both replaced in the group and wound up leaving.

Out of that though, I made a good friend as we went into the Karanas and hunted together for hours.

I have more, I just have to go help my wife with dinner.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natewest1987 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Leveling up my toons and then killing my character, deleting that toon, creating a new toon with the same name, and then looting the old toon's corpse... because I liked my name but also really liked the lower level camps.
I completely forgot I use to do this till now. I definitely use to do the same thing to change classes and I think I even killed and deleted and remade my Paladin at least twice once I reached the teens just so I could replay him in the lower level zones.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Thinking that I could cast invis during combat and disappear from skeletons in Nektulos... and dying several times before I realized it wasn't going to work.

Using /shout to plead with the evil halflings ( NPCS... ugh ) at the druid rings to stop killing me so that I could recover my corpse?
I haven't even gotten to the rest and I am already in tears. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

For me watching someone hit a creature for more than 20 damage with a blackend Iron Bastard sword basically introduced the concept that I was just scratching the surface of this game I thought I was becoming very good at killing crocks in the oasis.

Falling off the boat in OOT because I was curious about the mermaids, and then the mermaids killing me.

On rallos zek someone PKed me while I was showing my friend the game and I lost the 1 magic item I got from a random NPC in lavastorm and it was the most devistated Ive felt in my life, and still is today. It was like losing my whole family.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For me watching someone hit a creature for more than 20 damage with a blackend Iron Bastard sword basically introduced the concept that I was just scratching the surface of this game I thought I was becoming very good at killing crocks in the oasis.

Falling off the boat in OOT because I was curious about the mermaids, and then the mermaids killing me.

On rallos zek someone PKed me while I was showing my friend the game and I lost the 1 magic item I got from a random NPC in lavastorm and it was the most devistated Ive felt in my life, and still is today. It was like losing my whole family.
Omg. I have seriously probably spent actual days of my life sitting on those siren islands. Literally one of my favorite camps ever. That was like my go to spot for that level range and they dropped nice coin.

Also it’s so funny to look bad on those early day items cause they were all such crap, but those are probably the items I remember most. The most iconic for the time, random rag dolls and solid color robes lol.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoricL1222 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Went by Kbazz what toons were you?
I was Spool O’thread, the perpetual newbish gnome - for most of my time there. The other chars I played I couldn’t remember the names by now.
Closed Thread