Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Large Bat

Default Level 40 monk needs gear advice

Just started p1999 a few months ago with a monk. I have about 3k saved up but not sure what to do with it: upgrade weapons? Wt reduction bags, gear, big purchase or a few small ones and keep saving etc.. I do a pretty even mixture of grouping and soloing so am mainly hoping for a nice well rounded gear lineup. I was thinking about an exeuctioners hood to get my dex up there which would help with the weapon procs, but im also a little wondering if i should just go for a 1hb upgrade since 8/20 seems pretty paltry. I love those procs though! I seem to survive tougher battles when using the big heavy stick is im soloing. If im really strict about keeping my weight down to 14, the 2 trance sticks seem to do pretty well, but i find that to be extremely difficult to do while trying to save up some money. Any advice from you monk pros out there? Heres my profile. Some graphical errors but the items are listed correctly. Thanks!

(Hopefully this link works)

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Sluggs
Old 04-12-2017, 12:40 AM
Banned

Peacebringer is the next logical upgrade for your 2h. It's around the 40's that dual wield really starts to shine. 1 handed weapons will slowly creep up to and the exceed the dps that you've been enjoying with 2h. Only thing I can think of offhand in your budget would be two Jade Maces.

Another thing to think about is your first Tinkerer's Bag. One of these will allow you to carry fine steel and things of that nature without inhibiting your combat prowess. You will be able to sell more loot per trip to a merchant.

Also at level 40 you can carry 16.9 stone without suffering combat penalties. Unsure why you are keeping it at 14 :P
Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 AM
Fire Giant

If you are using Wu's Quivering and staying under weight..Peacebringer should be fine as it's only 1 more weight. That will probably be your best DPS. Another nice option is a Jade Mace and SoS in OH. Jade Mace is fairly cheap and I have seen SoS selling as low as 3k. That's what I used until I got a Tstaff and the combined weight is less than either 2h weapon. If you get epic the SoS works great in OH with epic as well. Like Caiu mentioned..I would put a Tink bag high on the priority list also. You might want to swap one of your Lionhide bags with a Shralok pack since Shralok can hold giant items..at least until you can get a Tink bag.

Looks like you are wearing wu's armor. You should head over to Dalnir and farm yourself a set of Crescent armor. It's no drop so you won't find it in EC. It's not as good as Black Pantherskin but it's better than wu's and it's very light like wu's. I wore that Crescent armor a long time. Went straight from that to Thurgadin/Skyshrine quest armor because I liked how light it was and I didn't want to spend the plat on a set of BPS. I think the money is better spent on weapons, tink bag and haste (SCHW is a relatively cheap and decent option until you find better or get epic).
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Large Bat

Thanks a bunch for the replies. Indeed that Peacebringer is looking pretty tasty and i can afford it now as well. So im thinking go for that and then start saving up for a tink bag. It'll be fun to see those 2hb numbers go up as well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No actually i DID think the AC penalty kicked in above 14. Thanks for letting me know! I wont stress about the extra weight quite so much now. Lol

Will do my best to try to get a group brave enough to go to dalnir with me, or maybe a high level guildie. I did make the trip there once but our poor enchanter got wiped out right at the beginning. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] The rest of us did make it through the dungeon (one way in!) but only the gloves and the arms dropped, which are sitting in the bank. They seem like pretty disappointing pieces compared to what i have, esp in terms of AC. My current sleeves and gloves are 12 and 8 ac respectively. (Azure sleeves and treant fists) From what ive read, AC trumps stats on p99. Would this apply to monks as well?

Anyhoo, i would LOVE to get the crescent tunic and legs so ill set that as one of my next goals. Any other suggestions on farming or questing for gear id be love to hear as well. I've got an EE bag in lower guk on my list too. Ive had to do things the old fashioned way for the most part, which has been a lot of fun and can feel extremely rewarding, but ive also got some hard earned plat i want to put to good use as well.

Thanks for the tips! Keep em coming if you think of anything else [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Banned

In order of importance for a monk I'd say HP - Resists - AC/Stats when looking at an item. Dalnir would be a little rough at 40 solo.

More concrete numbers for you. Velious era is very generous with your weight limitations at the top end.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Monk#Weight_Penalty_Guide
Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

I'd save for a Peacebringer and SCHW. Both of those will last until your epic. After that save money until you have 1 large soiled bag and 2 tinkerers bags.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Fire Giant

You should be able to solo Dalnir pretty soon. It's been a while but I did solo in there to get my Crescent Armor and the Monk Shackle quest pieces but forget the exact level I was. I'm pretty sure I was around 40 or low 40's. It wasn't easy because of all the casters and harm touches (avoid the coerced SKs if possible) but it can be done if you are careful. I think most of the mobs that drop the armor are high 20's/low 30's. Bring lots of bandages and have your BW/mend skills up. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It is a bit more of a pain as a human since you can't bind in Cab so the run back is a bit more daunting.

I wouldn't even bother with an EE bag. It's great for other classes but that bag itself weighs 3 so before you even put anything in the bag it's weighing you down. IMO don't use any bag that weighs over 1. Lionhide/Shralok bags are only .4 and Tink bag/Large Soiled bag only weigh 1. Stick to the light bags or it's counterproductive.

Another trick that I was late in adopting but wish I had done sooner was stop carrying around coin. I used to carry 60p or so for ports or whatever but even with that it adds unnecessary weight. Buy a stack (or half a stack) of Opals and use those to pay people for ports. 2 Opals = roughly 35p and weighs almost nothing. This allows you to hold onto more incidental plat/gold when playing since you are starting at 0 coins. Just make sure to hit the bank regularly to unload it. Always delete silver/copper if you are pulling/getting hit.

As for stat importance I would actually put resists over HP. If you plan to do any soloing or pulling for groups that will be the absolute most important thing..especially MR. Your avoidance will help with melee attacks but spells will shred you and getting rooted on a pull is not fun. Try to get into Droga to camp an Earring of Essence. Great monk item (30 HP + 10MR). Droga is also great XP until about 46. I also traded in my AC/HP rings for 14MR Jacinth rings and don't regret it. I don't have the most elite gear but feel free to click the name in my sig to see my gear for possible ideas.

TLDR version: Keep your weight under penalty. Get resists up ASAP. Get good weapons and haste. Get that epic.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Fire Giant

I would actually recommend an imbued fighters staff instead of the peacebringer. Pb will get you a tad more dps, but ifs will give you higher ripostes if youre tanking and weighs a lot less.

Also, good job getting treant fists. Dont see many of those around.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Fire Giant

I had an IFS before Tstaff and I hated it. It's just too damn slow IMO (especially if you don't have good worn haste). I had much better results using a JM/SoS than IFS but I know some like the IFS.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Kobold

IFS weighs less than half of peacebringer, you take less riposte damage while soloing/tanking, and you take less DS damage as well. I can't see picking peacebringer unless you REALLY hate that +1 second delay.
Closed Thread