Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-20-2022, 05:45 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Question Two noobies unable to play together :(

Hi Guys,

Not really sure if this is the correct thing to do or if I need to be messaging someone in game.

Me and my brother live together and we used to play loads of EQ in our younger days [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We are looking to give P99 Green a good blast but when we try to log in when the other is online we are unable to do so we get a message about IP, I think, pretty sure to stop boxing I'm guessing.

Is there a way we can make it so we can play together without one moving out, we are considering it as we are desperate to play [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but I think there might be another way! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Look forward to any help we can get!

Tixie - level 2 wood elf Druid. Watch out, here I come!
Old 05-20-2022, 09:42 AM
Sarnak

https://wiki.project1999.com/IP_Exemption
Old 05-20-2022, 10:39 AM
Sarnak

Yep! You can Petition for an IP exception and will be able to play together. They do them in batches so may need to wait a little while for it to go through.

Word of advice - Just follow a "butts in seats" type mentality, be careful with it and you'll be fine. P1999 is extremely strict about two-boxing.

It will be tempting to log in each other's characters for "just a second" to cast a buff, or lean over and hit a heal macro while one of you is pooping - but just don't. Butts in seats. Else that will be the exact moment a GM pulls you in for box-testing.. and all your time/gear from 2 years of playing will be flushed down the drain.

Poor guy I know logged in his wife's high level shaman to quickly buff his alt, and got both their accounts insta-banned after he failed a surprise box-test. It's pretty painful and not worth it. So make sure your brother understands so he doesn't screw ya over a year from now~
Old 05-20-2022, 12:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeaolena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep! You can Petition for an IP exception and will be able to play together. They do them in batches so may need to wait a little while for it to go through.

Word of advice - Just follow a "butts in seats" type mentality, be careful with it and you'll be fine. P1999 is extremely strict about two-boxing.

It will be tempting to log in each other's characters for "just a second" to cast a buff, or lean over and hit a heal macro while one of you is pooping - but just don't. Butts in seats. Else that will be the exact moment a GM pulls you in for box-testing.. and all your time/gear from 2 years of playing will be flushed down the drain.

Poor guy I know logged in his wife's high level shaman to quickly buff his alt, and got both their accounts insta-banned after he failed a surprise box-test. It's pretty painful and not worth it. So make sure your brother understands so he doesn't screw ya over a year from now~
This is good advice.

It took like a week for my IP Exemption to go through, but I have heard of people waiting for like up to three weeks. Just carefully follow instructions when formatting your post.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeaolena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I mean the guy in the example in the last paragraph must have been doing this a bunch. The GMs aren’t just following around every player the second they log in so it’s not like he did this just one time by mistake and got caught. He would’ve had to have been doing this multiple times and either got noticed by a GM or a player thought it looked suspicious and petitioned. Just saying like when someone gets caught boxing it’s not because they were like an innocent player who happened to make a one time mistake, they were boxing consistently.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:51 PM
Orc

FYI - in the meanwhile, you can always tether one machine off a cell phone, which will have a diff IP, so you can play together until the IP exception request gets processed. Just make sure you are both at your respective keyboards though! As indicated by others, tethering does not create any sort of exception to the strict one account logged in per player rules. Welcome back to eq - the nostalgia is a wonderful thing, and this game continues to feel majestic (to me at least) in a way that nothing else quite equals.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSergio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi Guys,

Not really sure if this is the correct thing to do or if I need to be messaging someone in game.

Me and my brother live together and we used to play loads of EQ in our younger days [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We are looking to give P99 Green a good blast but when we try to log in when the other is online we are unable to do so we get a message about IP, I think, pretty sure to stop boxing I'm guessing.

Is there a way we can make it so we can play together without one moving out, we are considering it as we are desperate to play [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but I think there might be another way! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Look forward to any help we can get!

Tixie - level 2 wood elf Druid. Watch out, here we come!
Old 05-22-2022, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

Kinda shitty the lengths they'll go to just to stop supposed boxing. If someone isn't actively boxing 2 chars monopolizing camps and stuff who cares lol. I've had situations where a friend has a high lvl druid and he wanted to leave his druid logged in on his work laptop in the background while hes at work and set up audio triggers so I could just request re-buffs from him while I lvl an alt but we decided it wasn't worth the risk in case we got nailed for "boxing" even though we weren't. Being at work he couldn't respond to a random box test at any moment. Kinda annoying tbh. You run the risk of being banned for boxing just for playing semi afk while someone else on same IP is playing. I lost an account I had an insane amount of time invested in and all the valuable items/clickies u could imagine all for a dumb thing I didn't even do. Unrelated to boxing but the same concerns apply. You could lose months/years of investment for something so f'ing stupid at any time.
Last edited by PlsNoBan; 05-22-2022 at 10:20 AM..
Old 05-22-2022, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kinda shitty the lengths they'll go to just to stop supposed boxing. If someone isn't actively boxing 2 chars monopolizing camps and stuff who cares lol. I've had situations where a friend has a high lvl druid and he wanted to leave his druid logged in on his work laptop in the background while hes at work and set up audio triggers so I could just request re-buffs from him while I lvl an alt but we decided it wasn't worth the risk in case we got nailed for "boxing" even though we weren't. Being at work he couldn't respond to a random box test at any moment. Kinda annoying tbh. You run the risk of being banned for boxing just for playing semi afk while someone else on same IP is playing. I lost an account I had an insane amount of time invested in and all the valuable items/clickies u could imagine all for a dumb thing I didn't even do.
Kinda shitty that you and your "friend" want to cheat a 20+ year old game because you can't do what literally thousands of other players can: play it by the rules, as intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unrelated to boxing but the same concerns apply. You could lose months/years of investment for something so f'ing stupid at any time.
Bullshit. The only way to lose your character is to break the rules (which are very clearly posted), as you did.

Hell, I've (god I'm embarrassed to say this) mistakenly accused the founders of this server of violating intellectual property law! ... and I'm still playing, with no characters lost. (Thank you again for your forgiveness, benevolent overlords Rogean and Nilbog.)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-22-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Old 05-22-2022, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]