Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 06-10-2022, 04:49 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Exclamation The installation process is awful and turning players away

I started playing 2 days ago and I must tell you after spending 2 hours of my life making it work I am not surprised this server is not growing.

I documented my installation nightmare in this video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx45I0DLvwg

How come nobody has streamlined the process yet? Not only there is no centralized way to know how to set up the whole thing (Neither this website or EqEmu's has all the info you need to do so) but most if not all my hassle could have been automated by a single installer.

I don't want to watch a 30 minute video to install the game, and neither does any potential new player.

Even if you make a condensed readable and to the point guide that "just works" the guide provided in this website is very awkwardly formatted and frankly tedious to navigate.

I may not be a member of this community but I beg you to listen to me; if you do not improve your How-to section and provide a proper Setup download this game will never grow.

Please don't look at this through the eyes of you who has been playing this game for 20 years, just imagine for a moment how awful this is for someone that never installed this game before and how avoidable this is.

Thank you for reading my very long rant
Old 06-11-2022, 09:04 AM
Banned

sorry grandpa
Old 06-11-2022, 09:05 AM
Fire Giant

Everything about this game is harder than other mmo's .
Welcome to semi custom classic ish eq.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

Nobody wants to watch a 17:50 video of you whining about not being able to install a simple game, numbnuts.
P.S get gud.
P.P.S didnt watch vid, just checked time in bottom corner. Your mums basement cleans up nice for your streaming.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:13 AM
Banned

zoomer filtered
Old 06-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Banned

Working as intended(tm)

P.S. This game isn't going to drastically grow regardless of ease of install/setup. It's a very very niche thing that only appeals to a very small audience. It's maintained roughly the same population since it started basically and I'd bet money it doesn't change much til the day they decide to pull the plug.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:31 AM
Fire Giant

If you go to project1999.com it says is red: “Check out our setup guide” which then has a link to the setup guide.

On that page is step by step instructions on how to play here. It takes maybe a couple minutes to read. No videos or confusion needed.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Install

What part of the above is difficult, specifically?

(Other than the whole "find a Titanium client" part, which has to be difficult, for legal reasons?)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

The guy who tells you about p1999 shares his install on dropbox then you just copy paste it to your hard drive and make a shortcut named ‘nostalgic pixels’ to launch. Pretty easy!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-11-2022, 11:34 AM
Kobold

Hey there,

I just put up a video walking you through how setup and it is quite streamlined. Takes less than 10 minutes and all the links are in the video description. Best part is you only need the client and patch files. No other third party software needs to be installed.

Install Project 1999 on Windows 10