Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is somewhere around 9/10 True, I would say. I'm sure Perdu is a nice person and I mean no offense but I wouldn't take any odds on his playing out a month based on my experience since 2013.

The game is very strategic and almost turn-based when you consider regen and respawn timers but once you've devised your strategy for a given play area, there's absolutely nothing worthwhile to do in the game while you wait for glacial regen. Everyone tabs out of the game because the boredom isn't alleviated by the group chat you would have had in the original game to fill this dead space.

If a player has to tab out of a video game to keep from eating paint chips for entertainment, it's hot garbage just like the man said.
And i'm sure you're a nice person too.. Med breaks, Tab outs, Spawn Breaks.. All crucial to make sure a huge chunk of this community gets the fuck up off their chair to stretch or bath or eat..
Old 10-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Banned

I really don't care, Mr. Internet Tough Guy avatar.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really don't care, Mr. Internet Tough Guy avatar.
Cared enough to tell me you don't care and provide me with a name. Anytime you provide a name to something.. You care... This is somewhere around 9/10 True, I would say.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Watch this video that's it in a nutshell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peT0Zwr5Zhk I mean don't watch the whole thing just skip around. It's EQ with way worse graphics, and as you can see the character movement sucks, and everything is just slightly worse than EQ. Look at that fight around 5:30 it's super unexciting and you can't tell what's going on. If there's anything surviving on on nostalgia, it's Meridian 59.

Zone design is labyrinthine, small mazes with big vertical walls everywhere blocking your movement. Models are sprites, all look like crap. I downloaded it and tried it even if there is some kind of gem in there buried with some quests or some advancement, I never got to it because it was so crap-ugly and stupid.

I guess the same reaction any younger WOW-fed-fan would have to p99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had an awesome time in Meridian 59 and never had a better PvP experience than any other MMO. But even when it came out the graphics were horrible and sub-standard.

The community of like 200 players per server was even tighter knit than Everquests. Guilds could rent guild halls and if you beefed with another guild you could go to war with them and even claim their hall.
I remember we actually had bat phone events when someone attacked the guild hall in the night and we had to defend it.

It also had 3 different factions you could join that made a major impact on the gameplay - not like horde/alliance in wow. - it's really strange that things like these don't even exist in modern games 25 years later.

Eventually EQ came around and the general MMO scope shifted to PvE content.
So it turns out that Meridian 59 is available on Steam for free. So I tried it out with some friends for an evening. I think both of you were right in your own ways. I could see my high-school self really get invested in this game if I had known about it. That said, it's definitely running on nostalgia.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural_Levant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So it turns out that Meridian 59 is available on Steam for free. So I tried it out with some friends for an evening. I think both of you were right in your own ways. I could see my high-school self really get invested in this game if I had known about it. That said, it's definitely running on nostalgia.
This game was really fun until I got lost. I only met around (i say) around 10 players in total? They all seem to be afk or they'll run away real fast
Closed Thread