Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Sarnak

Default Ranger filling in as tank in a static

So I have a static group with 4 RL friends. Ranger(me), Cleric, SK, Monk, Chanter.
we are 55/56. Our SK just had a new baby and will be MIA for a bit. My ranger is fairly well geared, has off hand epic and some tanky gear to swap in. My question is 2 parts.

1. Granted the ranger won't be able to tank as well as SK, but could the ranger tank easier group content for a 55ish group?

2. I have been looking at gear to help in tanking and was wondering how a Fungi would be. Obviously it would be awesome to have on my ranger, just wondering if wearing it while tanking would be better than wearing something like a phase spider carapace for tanking purposes.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger will tank fine with an enchanter and cleric. Don’t need fungi, just load up on ac.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

You're good to tank till 60, just watch out for ice comets etc. Fungi would benefit you but is completely unnecessary
Old 08-12-2020, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Why not root the mobs and let the monk tank?
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good call.And Actually just have the ranger do the pulling as well If fd isn’t needed. . Harmony is op outdoors and you don’t really need big splitting with an enc
Old 08-12-2020, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

You could tank with a druid if you've got a cleric to heal and an enchanter to slow... as far as efficienly, slightly worse than SK but still should be viable for anything you are prolly doing.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Sarnak

rangers can tank just fine. Theyve got taunt and flamelick to hold agro, so a cleric / chanter worth their salt should do just fine as long as the monk doesn't pull irresponsibly.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This makes me shed a tear in my heart for the chain & plate wearing ranger and the DPS naked monk archetypes.

I wish rangers had mend instead. And stone stance was also stolen from monk and changed to strength of oak. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-13-2020, 02:21 AM
Fire Giant

Roots do break / resist where as flame lick is like the best aggro spell in the game. I imagine you'd wind up doing both with ranger picking up aggro on root breaks.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:16 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah for exp groups anyone can tank a slowed mob and you got a cleric to heal before then