Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:33 AM
Large Bat

Post Recycle/Starter Server Badly Needed - General Review of P99

Not sure if my message/post will see the light of day, but I feel like I want to share some thoughts about P1999 and my experiences here. I joined not very long ago, but having played Live or an extremely long time, I feel like I have enough class/high level/end game experience to weigh in on the matter.

Of course, my opinion is ultimately moot: After all, this is the internet, on a forum, about a free game that practically drips neckbeard-ism.

I first installed P1999 after having played on an emulated EQ server with completely custom content. Their system was good, but their custom content was out of control. While I enjoyed their AA system and their population was fair - it was mostly boxed toons, and the economy was...there are no words. Trinkets and charms costing several million in plat was common. Anyway...rather than continue the wall of text about that, here are some pros and cons about P1999 and my time here (though somewhat brief):

PROS:
  • Varying Community - I debated on whether or not to list this as a pro. The community can be over-the-top nice, and other times it can be completely toxic. I had people give me loot, advice, ports, buffs, you name it. Then, I had people refuse to group with me because I was a noob, not twinked, etc.
  • Robust, living server - Again, not entirely sure if this is a pro (at all levels) but it is certainly nice when leveling up. The EC tunnel is real. The zones have people in them, for the most part, and finding groups from 8+ isn't difficult if you try.
  • Easy to install and get working - Self explanatory. I think this deserves some credit because some custom EQ emus are silly difficult.
  • True classic experience - The moment that .midi music kicks in, I just feel chills. Very awesome. The custom spell work visuals and UI enhancements the community has done is outstanding.
  • Free - Though most of us would happily donate, the game is free.

CONS:
  • Extremely top heavy - When you've got only just recently the ability to go into Velious after being around for so many years, the top of the game is extremely bogged with level 60s geared to the teeth, their alts geared to the teeth, their alt's alt's geared to the teeth, etc.
  • Economy is insane - Honestly. Rings that should cost 50pp cost 5000pp. Rogues and Shaman twinks running around with epics at level 30, lol. The list goes on. It's like a giant MOUNTAIN of plat that is unobtainable by most new players without extreme time investments or hand-outs.
  • Not newbie friendly - This may seem like a contradiction but the reality is... as a new player (not to EQ, but to P99) you're at an insane disadvantage on Red, and a complete meltdown scenario on Blue. Want to raid? Forget it. You never will. Want to kill mad bosses for loot? Not a chance. Want your epic? Unless you can buy it, tough cookies.
  • Sometimes feels overcrowded - While it's great to have a thriving robust community, it's wicked crowded sometimes. So crowded, that in almost every newbie zone, someone is quad kiting guards, camping guards, etc.

So, I suppose to conclude my thoughts: I have read the forums and checked out some of the discussions about a potential recycle server or a new blue server for people to start fresh on and I truly think it might be what the game needs. While I agree that the game can be fun in it's current state, I personally have this, "Why bother?" feeling when I go to click the play button. It's all been done. Done again and again, and again, and the story ends with a level 15 rogue twink with his epics climbing out from under a 5 mile high mountain of plat in the EC tunnel. "WTS Fungi Tunic: 85k" he shouts. "All of my other 5 twinks have one, so I need to get rid of one."
Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Banned

You sound defeatist and a little delusional. When I joined I had nothing. Didn't know anyone playing here that could give hand outs. Bought Jboots for 7k at lvl 24 by selling shralok packs.

And you've been here for how long? Because it sounds like you have no clue what the game is like passed lvl 10 in EC.

Edit: To be fair, I'll address some points for you.

1. Top heavy. Very true. It has no impact on new players aside from making tons of good pieces of gear cost almost nothing.

2. Economy is pretty balanced tbh. What rings are you saying should be 50pp?

3. You have no clue what you are talking about here. Like, 0 logic or experience and it is obvious as day to everyone who plays here. No clue how a lvl 10 character even begins to pretend they know anything about this sort of stuff. Level up and experience it yourself instead of listening to people being negative who are too bad at this game to get the items and experiences they want. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

4. So, you are mad people kill guards? LOL

And I don't know how bad/good of a player you are. But I was an untwinked wizard and I never had problems getting groups. So, yeah.... I have to assume that just means you are either hard to be around or bad at the game. Not trying to be mean but there is only so man explanations.
Last edited by Rararboker; 08-28-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Old 08-28-2015, 01:50 AM
Sarnak

I disagree with a lot of what you said. I don't think the population is high enough. A server full of 60s who are 'geared to the teeth' isn't stopping you from getting to an adequate raiding level and joining a nice raiding guild. The fact that you are telling people that they can never raid is sort of an insult to the server because you are terribly wrong about that. False advertising, if you will. You can get epic targets if you try hard enough and are well prepared. You just said you haven't been playing here long...how can you say all of these things with a straight face...?

Here's a question, what exactly were you expecting?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:55 AM
Planar Protector

Some decent points but your 3rd bullet point under cons is completely incorrect. Asgard and many other guilds have numerous ppl who joined the server within the last year who are 60 or nearing 60 who have completed epics and are actively raiding at all levels of content. Almost every guild on this server has an open policy on recruitment if a person is willing to grind toward 60 and take the time to learn to be a competent player.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:55 AM
Sarnak

Your opinions, thoughts and ideas are stupid.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rararboker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sound defeatist and a little delusional. When I joined I had nothing. Didn't know anyone playing here that could give hand outs. Bought Jboots for 7k at lvl 24 by selling shralok packs.

And you've been here for how long? Because it sounds like you have no clue what the game is like passed lvl 10 in EC.
I agree with you completely. I was in the process of breaking apart every quote he had that was making an assumption or exaggerating with imaginary scenarios, but it was just too much.

OP thank you for playing on the server and being an active member of the community, but I think you've been reading the forums a bit too much. Stop letting the people who complain and whine about overcrowding because they didn't get a camp they wanted, or lowbie MQs being rampant because they can't afford their own effect your thinking.

Play the game you want to play it. blue recycle server will happen sometime down the road, and until then enjoy your stay here and don't get into your own head so much...
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 AM
Banned

I still want to know what rings cost 500p that should be 50p. This guy is apparently an expert on the subject of what items should cost.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:18 AM
Large Rat

I have to disagree as well. Most low/mid level items are readily accessible and cheap. Granted, EQ will always suffer from mudflation with pp generation always outpacing money sinks (gems/coffins etc). This is offset by the sheer number of items floating out there coupled with sooooo many items a new player can put into the market at a generous profit. Left Goblin Ears for 25-30pp each? Bone chips at 10pp per stack? Leather padding you can make yourself, pelts.. its a HUGE list of newbie friendly marketable items.

Of course, the high end market has high price points.. as they should be. You weren't supposed to start off a fresh character and have a fungi.

I've put leveling a priority over any plat and I'm still comfortable enough to gear decently, have money for spells, and gradually poke at wish list items relative to my level.

Edit: I didn't even mention people giving items away in EC on a regular basis. The community is well rounded with angels and A-holes alike.
Last edited by AvangionRN; 08-28-2015 at 02:21 AM..
Old 08-28-2015, 02:23 AM
Sarnak

Beyond day 1, I don't think there's a better time to start playing P1999 (I only play blue, can't speak to red)

OP wants it all, but doesn't want to work for anything. Not much you can really do there.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:36 AM
Large Rat

OP, Everquest is a game that rewards you for spending time in it's world. Don't compare yourself to characters who have been in it for years. Understand that you can cater to the market with items available at low levels and turn that into items that low/mid level characters had no business in owning within a week of playing (5ac 55hp rings as a good example).

Enjoy it for what it is.. or just realize its not for you.
Closed Thread