Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Definitely delay the launch. It’s better to fine tune stuff and get a late launch than to launch with a bunch of broken issues.

If you delay launch I’d like to propose a random Green launch. Don’t announce when it will happen, just wipe the characters from beta and turn the server back online. This way people can’t plan out weeks of neckbearding in advance and you will be able to better manage the influx of players as it will take time for word to spread that the server launched.
Why are you upset that people dont have fun the same way you do?
Old 10-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Definitely delay the launch. It’s better to fine tune stuff and get a late launch than to launch with a bunch of broken issues.

If you delay launch I’d like to propose a random Green launch. Don’t announce when it will happen, just wipe the characters from beta and turn the server back online. This way people can’t plan out weeks of neckbearding in advance and you will be able to better manage the influx of players as it will take time for word to spread that the server launched.
Sounds like a selfish request. I hope they don't listen!
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like a selfish request. I hope they don't listen!
I highly doubt we will have a delay. They are fixing issues pretty fast. I am very impressed with the fixes we have already seen.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Fire Giant

The don't announce when the launch will be thing is dumb, but I'm getting a little concerned about the launch being so soon with the kind of things that are popping up in the beta. I mean, apparently somebody hit 51 last night...
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 AM
VIP / Contributor

From a development perspective, a broken launch can truly cripple a game server long-term. Imbalance issues may never fully smooth out, depending on the severity, particularly where there's exploit potential - and the exploit potential is high where you tweak something as critical as respawn rates. Right now, I guarantee you people are scouring the beta for exploits they have no intention of reporting.

See: every game that screwed up a launch ever.

I already see the dilated pupils over being the first to amass the most pixels.
Last edited by Uthgaard; 10-18-2019 at 09:23 AM..
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The don't announce when the launch will be thing is dumb, but I'm getting a little concerned about the launch being so soon with the kind of things that are popping up in the beta. I mean, apparently somebody hit 51 last night...
There's a 10X exp bonus on green beta. I am confused as to what the issue is with someone hitting 51....
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From a development perspective, a broken launch can truly cripple a game server long-term. Imbalance issues may never fully smooth out, depending on the severity, particularly where there's exploit potential - and the exploit potential is high where you tweak something as critical as respawn rates. Right now, I guarantee you people are scouring the beta for exploits they have no intention of reporting.

See: every game that screwed up a launch ever.

I already see the dilated pupils over being the first to amass the most pixels.

Just pretend the neckbeards dont exist and enjoy the game. Unless you plan on farming manastone or guides you wont really have to deal with them.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a 10X exp bonus on green beta. I am confused as to what the issue is with someone hitting 51....
You're confused about what the issue is with someone hitting level 51 on a pre-Kunark server...?
Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're confused about what the issue is with someone hitting level 51 on a pre-Kunark server...?
Oh....wow, that got right by me....
Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Former Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Glad to see it was already mentioned and I wasn't just throwing out a crazy idea no one had heard of.
As far as I know, spawngroups were never implemented on any emulated server, but the database structure exists to do it without a lot of hard coding. It wouldn't need a dedicated script for every area, it would just need some server code to call up spawngroups as a functional thing from database tables, similar to how spawn tables are called now. The server code would be short, and the database work could then be done piecemeal and adjustable on the fly.

Also, nice to meet you.
Cool that the structure is there. To be clear, i'm not involved in any development on p99, just have a passion for bug reporting and research.

What I meant by a script, was not hard code 3 specific spawn points (for example) to instant respawn if dead, but randomize the spawn points every X hours or cycles. If neckbeards track specific spawn points to instant respawns, it will eventually be exploited. But if it was dynamic the chances would go down significantly.
Closed Thread